The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 26th, 2024

kazu

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but it is supposed to warm up to the mid 50s.  The family room level didn't get as cold last night since it is warmer than it has been lately.  I'm still calling the repair service.  A friend who has a similar system says it is probably a bad valve.  Hopefully, that isn't too much to repair.  Other than the plumber, I have the gym and a Zoom meeting this afternoon.  Sue reports that she is enjoying her time with the grand kids.  

@summer slope Hoping all goes well with your Mohs surgery today, Dixie.  

Today's recipe includes fennel, an important ingredient for health.  It is a member of the carrot family, so the carrot lovers should embrace it.  While it is described as having an anise flavor, it is not overwhelmingly licorice tasting and is quite mild.  Adding them to your diet may improve heart health, reduce inflammation, suppress appetite, and even provide anticancer effects. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fennel-and-fennel-seed-benefits#3.-Fennel-seeds-may-suppress-appetite

fennel.thumb.jpg.3488ef43e23e9237627e4476ed8264cd.jpg

This first recipe is low carb and low calorie.   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250410/fennel-pork-stew/

fennelandpork1.thumb.jpg.a6562ee73029892daa4b0bd31e1ac2d7.jpg

I would like the addition of olives to the recipe as seen here.  I would take the advice and make sure my olives were pitted.   https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/provenal-pork-stew-with-olives-fennel

fennelandpork2.jpg.3eb37c52d5f9c57dda94cfe01b7f26c9.jpg

I could not resist this recipe as it includes butternut squash in the mix.  It has been a while since we've had butternut squash.   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-stew-with-fennel-and-butternut-squash-107648

fennelandpork3.jpg.48501a50e8bf7310c7d6520a88f9a1fe.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2

Good morning all,

I have not read the posts, but will do so later.

We are getting ready to get out of here on time so that I get to Jacksonville in time for my afternoon appointment for Blood Work.

More appointments tomorrow.

I also realize that I did some damage to my right upper arm and shoulder during that fall on the dock in Barbados and will try to get that checked out while I am there.

Will post more after we get to the hotel and finished with blood work.

Vanessa, thank you for including me on the list today.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Snow flurries this morning!  

Looks like Oostersam may be in the Beagle Channel today? 
We went through it on Carnival Splendor when she was repositioned from CA to NY, 2013, too big for PC locks then so rounded Cape Horn. Our trip through the channel had a low cloud ceiling which made us feel even more closed in by the glaciers. The crew brought out blankets and we stayed out on deck wrapped up for hours. 

@summer slope May it be short and successful.

@StLouisCruisers Blessings for Morgan getting through today, another step getting through this traumatic event. And YaY for Ren and his team!  May his parents enjoy their special time. 

@dfish we too had a valve not opening in our zone heating system. But it wasn’t the valve, it was the wire to it. DH replaced it but not easy fishing it; I hope your fix is easier. We always kept a spare valve (mountain-living  back-ups!) but never needed one. But changing out a valve should be quick once they get the right parts. 🤞

@JazzyV Thrilled that you are having improvement!  I hope you are able to sleep. So far my attention to my pinched nerve is having a positive effect. In Maryland I had an MRI and saw a spine doctor at the suggestion of the hip doctor who said my hip pain wasn’t something he could fix with a replacement. But the spine doctor found a weak area and had “big plans” for me.  I wasn’t having any nerve-type symptoms so I put that all aside then. Now we need to stay focused on DH’s eye surgeries and full recovery so I’ll be trying some things I learned years ago when I had neck disk issues and got through all that without surgery 🤞.  Of course I was much younger then!  One day at a time is everything!  

Blessings sent for all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  
Cheers for those celebrating 🥳 

Smooth travels to all away!  @Cruzin Terri, best of luck at Mayo!  
Maureen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Black lives do matter, does Carnival day mean celebrating Carnival Cruise Lines or just carnivals in general?  I believe in carpe diem because tomorrow is never promised.   The quote, after explanation, is true, and I value my friendships.

You all should be here right now - we're in the middle of a really good storm.  We can't call it a blizzard because the temperatures aren't cold enough, but wow, there's snow, there's wind and there are drifts everywhere.  Our neighbour was out blowing his driveway at 5:30 this morning - why, I have no idea, as he's retired, and there's more snow and wind happening for the next number of hours.  We certainly live in a land of contrasts, as yesterday when we were coming home from DH's heritage group meeting, we drove in brilliant sunshine and clear skies - literally the calm before the storm.  I looked out around 8PM and saw the snow had begun, and it kept up overnight, with the wind starting around 2AM according to DH.  I checked the highway hotline and all roads leading out of the city are classed as "travel not recommended".  I've seen some photos people have posted this morning, and visibility is near zero, so I can't imagine why they're even out there.

@summer slopesending good vibes for your Mohs surgery today.

Not much on our agenda, especially with the storm, so we'll be hunkering down in the house and staying warm.  @dfish I do hope your heating issue in the living room will be an easy (read cheap) fix!  I'll be passing on the drink of the day, would like the wine, but it's a little pricey, and would try the menu suggestion if someone else made it for me.  With ugly weather outside, I think it's a good day to put on a pot of cabbage borscht and whip up a batch of buns for us to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, and just needing a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 27

Good morning.  Our last full day in Florida before we start our drive north.  Hopefully making it to north of Birmingham.  So much planning to avoid Nashville during rush hour.  

@kazu, @rafinmd, and @JazzyV for our daily reports and care lists.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and the people of Ukraine.  @summer slope I hope your surgery goes smoothly today.  Have a nice day!  Nancy 

• Like 24

31 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Snow flurries this morning!  

Looks like Oostersam may be in the Beagle Channel today? 
We went through it on Carnival Splendor when she was repositioned from CA to NY, 2013, too big for PC locks then so rounded Cape Horn. Our trip through the channel had a low cloud ceiling which made us feel even more closed in by the glaciers. The crew brought out blankets and we stayed out on deck wrapped up for hours. 

@summer slope May it be short and successful.

@StLouisCruisers Blessings for Morgan getting through today, another step getting through this traumatic event. And YaY for Ren and his team!  May his parents enjoy their special time. 

@dfish we too had a valve not opening in our zone heating system. But it wasn’t the valve, it was the wire to it. DH replaced it but not easy fishing it; I hope your fix is easier. We always kept a spare valve (mountain-living  back-ups!) but never needed one. But changing out a valve should be quick once they get the right parts. 🤞

@JazzyV Thrilled that you are having improvement!  I hope you are able to sleep. So far my attention to my pinched nerve is having a positive effect. In Maryland I had an MRI and saw a spine doctor at the suggestion of the hip doctor who said my hip pain wasn’t something he could fix with a replacement. But the spine doctor found a weak area and had “big plans” for me.  I wasn’t having any nerve-type symptoms so I put that all aside then. Now we need to stay focused on DH’s eye surgeries and full recovery so I’ll be trying some things I learned years ago when I had neck disk issues and got through all that without surgery 🤞.  Of course I was much younger then!  One day at a time is everything!  

Blessings sent for all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  
Cheers for those celebrating 🥳 

Smooth travels to all away!  @Cruzin Terri, best of luck at Mayo!  
Maureen

Thank you for your good wishes Maureen.  And my best wishes to you and Richard!

22 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning.  Our last full day in Florida before we start our drive north.  Hopefully making it to north of Birmingham.  So much planning to avoid Nashville during rush hour.  

@kazu, @rafinmd, and @JazzyV for our daily reports and care lists.  Prayers for everyone who needs them and the people of Ukraine.  @summer slope I hope your surgery goes smoothly today.  Have a nice day!  Nancy 

Safe travels today!  I agree completely about Nashville traffic and trying to avoid it.  We lessen some of the pain by taking Briley Parkway instead of going right through downtown on 24.  It might be a tiny bit longer in distance but the stress level is way down and far less traffic.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spelling
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I'll skip right to the meal - which I'll also be skipping, along with the drink and wine, not been to the port.

Impactful collection of days in history. 

In addition to work, I'll be calling the PT clinic as well as Dr to see what the hold up is on PT and the LOA forms. Hopefully will not be going outside as it's supposed to be near 100° today - yikes!

DH did not get the pipe shortened under the sink, so the stuff gets another week in the box - I don't want to put it all back then empty it again. He only gets 1 day off and I understand sometimes just wanting a day off from everything, but next weekend it has to be done. I would do it, but can't get under the sink at the right angle w/my shoulder.

Currently 63° headed to a record breaking 97°, much cooler mid-week.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all.🙏

20240226_080811.thumb.jpg.72eccfdd257cfce914889ef89af7bd75.jpg

• Like 22

Good morning from Quartzsite where we have another dreary, cloudy day.  It is currently 58F with a predicted high of 74F.  Yesterday our high was 81F, but with the cloud cover and light wind, it did not feel that warm.  If the forecast holds, we should see the sun beginning tomorrow afternoon.  

Black lives do matter along with all lives.  However, black lives seem to be in more danger now.  I believe we celebrated Carnival Day a couple of weeks ago.  I try to seize the day everyday, not just on Carpe Diem Day.

The complete quote is good.  Thank you, Rich, @richwmn for providing the complete quote.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.  Syrah is the one red wine I do not care for, but DH tried a Syrah on our cruise which he really enjoyed.

We have sailed the Beagle Channel twice, and I'll look for my pictures in a few minutes.

The pound note and RADAR are worth celebrating.  While giving countries to other countries was acceptable in the past, I don't think it should be celebrated in this day and age.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the explanation of Carpe Diem Day.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, congratulations to Ren and his team on the win Saturday.  I'm sure they were thrilled to practice with the pros.  I'm glad your DD and DSIL arrived safely in Madrid.  Sending positive thoughts to your DGD that her deposition is not difficult and does not cause nightmares.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, thanks for the photos of the Neptune Ceremony.  It's always a fun time on a ship.

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels today.

@0106  Tina, thanks for the picture.  The girl's sign says it all.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the repair on the heating system is an easy and not an expensive fix.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels today and tomorrow.  I hope all the appointments go well, and the blood work is all in normal range.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope you have a great day, and safe travels tomorrow.

@summer slope  Great news, Dixie. I'm glad he got it all in one pass and you were out of there in one hour.

358694979_251932750920961_3248289820152236529_n.jpg.833d0bd3e3ddf36a5b667724c58ad646.jpg

363408949_806600984625656_7331349168305246536_n.jpg.b9055f7111a7bd8bfdbd9656202c3a4b.jpg

363442248_311026564712706_7492192055212971015_n.jpg.b41cf49e9ff9116d2bc2d562b61de26d.jpg

365391505_717666277067840_5750604119387316815_n.jpg.17ec1fbef4624f2167256104dc794d36.jpg

366624899_833965054761294_1574467602121715947_n.jpg.6254219b3dd5942b9fdba6489bda2b6e.jpg

366689458_687627283387822_4653140566551111504_n.jpg.2efa33687e8405ef5a25ea82cef3e125.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 8

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I was checking out flights for our November cruise and found a shortage of direct flights from FLL to Boston.  Our usual JetBlue return flight wasn’t there.  This morning we booked a flight with Delta to return home, it leaves at 11 on November 17.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
More details
  • Like 14

We sailed the Beagle Channel twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III in the pre-digital age.  This was the last trip around the Horn for that year, and when we reached Cape Horn, the seas were so calm they were almost glassy.  The crew could not believe how calm it was, since all the other times that season, it was very rough at Cape Horn.

Our second time through the Beagle Channel was in 2015 on Ruby Princess.  That year, the seas were very rough from the Falklands to the channel.  We were supposed to sail around Cape Horn, but due to the rough seas, the Captain kept the ship behind Cape Horn and in the calmest water he could find.

These are just a few of the pictures of the Beagle Channel.  When we were in Ushuaia in 2015, we did a tour to Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego and to the end of the Pan American Highway.  At that point, it was Highway 3 from Buenos Aires,  The last few miles of the highway are not even paved.

First, @StLouisCruisers posted a picture of the monument at Cape Horn.  This is the lighthouse, and the keeper's house on Cape Horn.

DSC02705.thumb.JPG.0e423c117098cf4ea5f6cee7e324a73a.JPG

Looking up the Beagle Channel from our aft balcony.

DSC02707.thumb.JPG.e6cf84d6d19a45eec79f15dc86e36d9c.JPG

The next ones are at the end of the road.

DSC02744.thumb.JPG.0e099eea365c78d65b392e68b2135ec9.JPG

DSC02756.thumb.JPG.499ed79280de4eb80ec51c64e431c331.JPG

Looking from the end of the road across the Beagle Channel.

DSC02724.thumb.JPG.d030161db03654f77ec947ad11f8f585.JPG

DSC02727.thumb.JPG.cea52738255e7e18a89d49eeccded9e5.JPG

DSC02729.thumb.JPG.32005816a856f5afce8f912c556add5b.JPG

Ushuaia as we left port.

DSC02775.thumb.JPG.c302379c616354163d48f286b9e96e84.JPG

DSC02776.thumb.JPG.11df92b0e3c5db057d239bee7d16efa3.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

There was only one large Black Lives Matter rally and march here, and I participated. I think that Carnival Day is mistimed since Carnival (Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday) has already passed. If you don't seize the day, you might end up carping about it.

No pork anything, please. I wouldn't like the drink, a variation on the Depth Charge,  even if it were called something else. For a Finger Lakes Syrah, this time we'll try Glenora, "elegant aromas of plum, brown baking spice, molasses and hints of chocolate covered orange." One of my friends has a beagle but the dog doesn't yet have a Youtube channel.

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

On my way to my Mohs surgery.  Will check in later.

I hope it goes as easily as mine did.

725495.gif.623798b595a9da34a47919c61c17ef40.gif

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn and maps @rafinmd.

3 good days. I like the quote. Maybe on the meal. Pass on the drink and the wine is above my price point. I have been to Beagle Channel.

It's a lovely day, 59F and sunny. But then we get rain for the next 2 days. I slept about 5 hours, and fell back asleep for another hour after posting the Cares List. I had a Hematology appointment this morning. I debated whether to take the rollator or just a cane. I did take the rollator. I had some numbness and tingling in the leg, and a touch of pain. Now I'm making my "morning" coffee.

@richwmn Enjoy Tasmania.

@StLouisCruisers Good news about DS, DDIL and Ren!  Great photos.

@summer slope I am so glad you had an easy time with the Mohs surgery. 

@Nickelpenny Thanks for the photos; I've never seen a King Neptune ceremony in person.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. 

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels. I hope you get all your concerns addressed while there.

@Sir PMP Nice photos.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you have some things to try out to relieve your discomfort. Continued prayers for your DH Richard's successful outcome with the two surgeries. 

@ger_77 I'm glad your weather is there and not here!

@ottahand7 Safe travels when you start your journey home tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos.

Just a few photos from my 2018 Zaandam SA/Antarctica trip, since my others are similar to those posted already.

Entering the Beagle Channel

1342791581_002-12_25.18InBeagleChannel.thumb.jpg.7fa80ca4c61793194e5418527f66e3eb.jpg

649286045_030-12_25.18BeagleChannel.thumb.jpg.984ef38c1253238373a56392863db5e3.jpg

Italia Glacier

1216638804_036-12_25.18ItaliaGlacier.thumb.jpg.466f26b0a57e9cbfaf60e1d43674aa7d.jpg

Off Ushuaia waiting to see if we can dock

388077831_050-12_25.18Ushuaia.thumb.jpg.6f8ee0ffbb69fcafcea1554de9c3c213.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Hello from another nice day in Wisconsin!  Haven't been to the port, not sure about the meal, but the drink today sounds "interesting!" LOL

@StLouisCruisersPrayers and hugs for your granddaughter as she testifies...

@summer slopeBlessings on your procedure today.

@JazzyVHoping you're feeling a little better each day.

Thanks for all of the pictures today, I get to travel through the lovely people here.

For the Garden club..we have lots of perennials sprouting, and I saw a robin today.  I know some don't fly south, but I haven't seen any around here lately.  I think the early "popping" of the flowers may be too early, we can have lots of snow in March here!  

Have a good rest of your day, I'm heading to the sewing machine to put binding on 2 more quilts.  A quilt shop relocated to an area close to us, and they are having a big sale.  I found some fabric to work on some more quilts for church.  This week we start our sewing class with the 6th graders at our church school, I'm excited!  karen

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A few pictures from when we were on the  Zaandam in 2015 on our way to Antarctica 

Entering the Channel just crossing the border between Chile and Argentina 

image.thumb.jpeg.a01510006e46ecc9b139724b588ece2b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e1531d4703a70e53a5ae421f1a82a43.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6922e804718e46ab27a50c17aba829ed.jpeg

Sundown before we reach Ushuaia

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d0b92891514ce1c0c7b9002a66043d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3eb073ba402f7bd8ae51826cb2ba3c3b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ccf02980e91503e31ed882fde28dc8e.jpeg

Back on board the Zaandam after a wonderful tour in Ushaia ( that’s for another time ) 
and on our way towards Cape Horn through the channel .

image.thumb.jpeg.d5c1429b559cf8edf060d1694c971f93.jpeg

From one of my favourite graphic artists Maurits C Escher 

image.thumb.jpeg.f2d9eefea1de0190abdf6ca590b65dac.jpeg

Promoting the Indonesian crew show that evening  ( We are really missing that feature ! ) 
image.thumb.jpeg.cdc4a31f4c1578b1e231b664bfabb3d7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.81045c67b746da814587b04d2df80947.jpeg

Tony 😍
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3