Thoughts on Allure of the Seas

We are looking at a Western Med cruise on Allure of the Seas next year.  What are everyone's thoughts on the ship?  Would you say it is as good as Anthem or better?

Allure is getting her Amplification from late February to Early April 2025. So might be a great time to do the Western Mediterranean. Anyone's current opinion of the ship will probably not be overly applicable post-amplification. Some people don't like here because she's not amp'd, and for others she's their favorite ship specifically because she is not amp'd. There's a number of people (like us) that booked the post-amplification TA Oct '25 the minute it was released if that gives you any idea.

When comparing to Anthem, in general, I think more people like the Oasis class better than the Quantum class

BTW, if you are trying to decide between boarding in Barcelona or Rome (only applicable on the Oasis class Western Med?), here's some threads:

Edited by RobInMN
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Anyone's current opinion of the ship will probably not be overly applicable post-amplification.

Overall, I wouldn't expect a lot of changes during the dry dock, unless you think some new carpet is a big change.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Overall, I wouldn't expect a lot of changes during the dry dock, unless you think some new carpet is a big change.

This isn't the normal dry-dock, it's around 6 weeks and while they are not using the term "Amplification", there have been strong comments indicating that yes, this will be the postponed/cancelled amplification from 2020. How close they stay to the original plan remains to be seen, but people sailing on her are already being told that Sabor and the Champagne bar are going away. Here's the original press-release:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1403/new-amplified-adventures-on-royal-caribbeans-allure-of-the-seas-to-make-a-summer-splash-in-europe/

Also, I believe that I had read somewhere that as part of the Amplification, that all the TVs and electronics were going to be upgraded. But who knows now.

Plus, as you know, they don't necessarily wait for drydocks to change out carpets. 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It's different. On a Med sailing where you'll be off the ship a lot, the ship may not make much diff.

Thanks.  We sail the Med a lot because we live in Scotland so we have been to all of the ports before so we will probably spend a lot of time on the ship.

13 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Allure is getting her Amplification from late February to Early April 2025. So might be a great time to do the Western Mediterranean. Anyone's current opinion of the ship will probably not be overly applicable post-amplification. Some people don't like here because she's not amp'd, and for others she's their favorite ship specifically because she is not amp'd. There's a number of people (like us) that booked the post-amplification TA Oct '25 the minute it was released if that gives you any idea.

When comparing to Anthem, in general, I think more people like the Oasis class better than the Quantum class

BTW, if you are trying to decide between boarding in Barcelona or Rome (only applicable on the Oasis class Western Med?), here's some threads:

Thanks for all of the information.  I didn't realise that she was going in to dry dock but that is good to know.

We do Med cruises a lot because we live in Scotland and we would always pick Barcelona over Rome because Barcelona is quicker and cheaper to get to for us and also the port in Barcelona is closer than port in Rome.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Allure is scheduled for some significant changes as part of the original Amplification program and the planned 2025 drydock is for that. It is reported to be a 58 day, $165 million refurb.  As I have heard, this is to include new water slides, updated dining venues, new specialty dining options, and new bars and lounges.   Along, of course, with new carpet....LOL.

I read several articles where both Michael Bayley and Jason Liberty stated that the Allure will be fully amped and will also receive some of the learnings from the Icon so this is more than a carpet refreshment. 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/02/royal-caribbeans-liberty-allure-to-undergo-modernization/#google_vignette

Allure is an Oasis class ship with the neighborhoods like Central Park and the Boardwalk.  Anthem is more like a traditional cruise ship but has the North Star observation pod/ride.  I will take the Allure over Anthem any day! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

Thanks.  We sail the Med a lot because we live in Scotland so we have been to all of the ports before so we will probably spend a lot of time on the ship.

Uk here too. Having been on Anthem and Allures sister ship Oasis i would pick Oasis class  every time. So much more to do, central park, relaxing, the water shows are a must etc. if Allure gets the same amplification as Oasis then its going go be great. We have Allure booked for October 2025 around the med. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Uk here too. Having been on Anthem and Allures sister ship Oasis i would pick Oasis class  every time. So much more to do, central park, relaxing, the water shows are a must etc. if Allure gets the same amplification as Oasis then its going go be great. We have Allure booked for October 2025 around the med. 

Thanks for the information. What sailing in October are you doing? It was October that we were looking at.

57 minutes ago, Lisa353 said:

Thanks for the information. What sailing in October are you doing? It was October that we were looking at.

Cruise lines dot com just named  Allure of the seas as the number 1 overall cruise ship of all ships in any main line cruise company. I just tried to post the findings but CC has my post on hold. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

I have sailed Anthem and Allure, on a port intensive Europe Itinerary you will find it hard to enjoy an Oasis Class Ship (if your like me and want to experience it all) ! Or it may leave you wanting more so you book another trip. I loved both ships for different reasons but if I had to book one again id book oasis class trips where the ports are not 'must get off' locations and just enjoy the ship.  

Either way you will have a great time on RCI.  

2 hours ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

I have sailed Anthem and Allure, on a port intensive Europe Itinerary you will find it hard to enjoy an Oasis Class Ship (if your like me and want to experience it all) ! Or it may leave you wanting more so you book another trip. I loved both ships for different reasons but if I had to book one again id book oasis class trips where the ports are not 'must get off' locations and just enjoy the ship.  

Either way you will have a great time on RCI.  

Thanks for the information. We are from Scotland and have sailed the Med a lot of times so we have been to all of these ports many times. So we will be spending a lot of time on the ship. Also the sailing we are looking at will have 2 sea days.

We do really like Anthem and will be on Anthem again in February next year.

After everyone's comments, I think we will give Allure a go.

9 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

Thanks for the information. We are from Scotland and have sailed the Med a lot of times so we have been to all of these ports many times. So we will be spending a lot of time on the ship. Also the sailing we are looking at will have 2 sea days.

We do really like Anthem and will be on Anthem again in February next year.

After everyone's comments, I think we will give Allure a go.

Good Choice, as RCI now say 'the ships the destination' Have a wonderful trip. 

• Like 1

We enjoyed Allure immensely the first time we were on her two years ago. It was our first time on an Oasis class ship and they are impressive. (We didn't enjoy her as much last year, our second time on her, but that is a different story). The aqua show was fantastic and many people like Mamma Mia as the Broadway production. All of the staff were fantastic.

Our room felt a little dated and we had some mold in our shower. It was a rounded door so they put a little extra bit of wall there and moisture got trapped in between, causing the mold:

20230406_091738.thumb.jpg.25931a964aaf7de6c69594377fe38d9f.jpg     20230406_091723.thumb.jpg.40217becf1b15ef3b91fd807c0b0775c.jpg

20230406_091800.thumb.jpg.03e41e668f46557246f0defec72e79a9.jpg     20230406_091804.thumb.jpg.2dfeb495608b41d43ae2412dae84b21f.jpg

Edited by jbrinkm
moving and resizing pictures

23 hours ago, Lisa353 said:

19 october 2025. Its school holidays for our daughter here in lincolnshire. 👍 Will book the flights to barcelona late dec 2024 as thats when the best flight sales are on for october 2025 flights. 

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 1

It will be refurbished (hopefully) before your sailing but I do not recommend it in the current state. We were onboard last week and it just felt yuck. Our stateroom was very old, musty, and worn, as were the common areas and soft goods throughout. 

That said, when they re-did Oasis they didn’t touch the hallways or cabins. That would be a deal breaker for me on Allure. It just felt grungy. 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We enjoyed Allure immensely the first time we were on her two years ago. It was our first time on an Oasis class ship and they are impressive. (We didn't enjoy her as much last year, our second time on her, but that is a different story). The aqua show was fantastic and many people like Mamma Mia as the Broadway production. All of the staff were fantastic.

Our room felt a little dated and we had some mold in our shower. It was a rounded door so they put a little extra bit of wall there and moisture got trapped in between, causing the mold:

20230406_091738.thumb.jpg.25931a964aaf7de6c69594377fe38d9f.jpg     20230406_091723.thumb.jpg.40217becf1b15ef3b91fd807c0b0775c.jpg

20230406_091800.thumb.jpg.03e41e668f46557246f0defec72e79a9.jpg     20230406_091804.thumb.jpg.2dfeb495608b41d43ae2412dae84b21f.jpg

That's not good about the mold in the shower. Hopefully they have sorted it now.

Mamma Mia is one my favourite musicals. The Aqua show looks amazing.

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

19 october 2025. Its school holidays for our daughter here in lincolnshire. 👍 Will book the flights to barcelona late dec 2024 as thats when the best flight sales are on for october 2025 flights. 

The 19th October is actually the date we were looking at. That is the cheapest week in October other than the first week but the first week isn't suitable for us.

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

It will be refurbished (hopefully) before your sailing but I do not recommend it in the current state. We were onboard last week and it just felt yuck. Our stateroom was very old, musty, and worn, as were the common areas and soft goods throughout. 

That said, when they re-did Oasis they didn’t touch the hallways or cabins. That would be a deal breaker for me on Allure. It just felt grungy. 

Thanks for the information.