Again - Early morning walking Promenade

Mary229

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My 3.5 cents worth. 

Firstly, the promenade by name is for promenading, a leisurely walk especially in a public place for pleasure or display. Hence, not for jogging, and not for walking (exercise). That is what the jogging track and the gym is for.

Secondly, the direction doesn't matter so much on the promenade but avoiding colliding with others does. Hence, promenade whichever way you want but note who is around you while doing it and definitely say hello.

Wow   I think you are reading far too much into a name.  For example, is Mozart the only music allowed on the Mozart deck?  Can I only observe on the observation deck?  Does the Captain need me to come help with guiding the ship on the Navigation deck?  Exactly what am I allowed to do on the main deck?

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Wow   I think you are reading far too much into a name.  For example, is Mozart the only music allowed on the Mozart deck?  Can I only observe on the observation deck?  Does the Captain need me to come help with guiding the ship on the Navigation deck?  Exactly what am I allowed to do on the main deck?

And let us not even consider what you should be doing on the poop deck. 🤣

• Haha 5

My husband is in a wheelchair, which I push. He is also a dialysis patient using PD. Because of this type of dialysis he is unable to swim or use the hot tub. I mention this as being outside by the pool holds little enjoyment for him. We are grateful that we can still cruise. This is the only type of vacation that makes sense in our situation. We love the promenade deck! Most times as I push his wheelchair I would be considered slow. Our life is slow. We savour every minute that we are outdoors. If he wants to stop to enjoy the view or feel the breeze, I stop. It never occurred to me that we were an inconvenience to those that are able and wanting to walk briskly. I can't change our circumstances and I will continue to walk slowly enjoying our time together. So if you should see us as you go by don't be resentful that we are slowing you down be grateful that you able to walk around the promenade deck. Not that it should matter but we are in our sixties. Life does not always turn out how you planned but there are many things to still be enjoyed.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Mopree said:

My husband is in a wheelchair, which I push. He is also a dialysis patient using PD. Because of this type of dialysis he is unable to swim or use the hot tub. I mention this as being outside by the pool holds little enjoyment for him. We are grateful that we can still cruise. This is the only type of vacation that makes sense in our situation. We love the promenade deck! Most times as I push his wheelchair I would be considered slow. Our life is slow. We savour every minute that we are outdoors. If he wants to stop to enjoy the view or feel the breeze, I stop. It never occurred to me that we were an inconvenience to those that are able and wanting to walk briskly. I can't change our circumstances and I will continue to walk slowly enjoying our time together. So if you should see us as you go by don't be resentful that we are slowing you down be grateful that you able to walk around the promenade deck. Not that it should matter but we are in our sixties. Life does not always turn out how you planned but there are many things to still be enjoyed.

Enjoy your slower than others stroll around the Promenade Deck. Since this is a a forum on cruising, I'll suggest we use the same rules we do for manoeuvring ships.

In an overtaking situation, the responsibility of keeping clear rests entirely with the faster ship and the one being overtaken should maintain its course and speed. Therefore, the slower one has no responsibility to make room for the faster one.

If fast walkers and/or joggers can't live with that, they have other options available. As a walker, I certainly wouldn't be up on the jogging track or hogging a tread mill, so enjoy you slow walks around the Promenade Deck, pushing your husband.

Slow walkers and pax pushing wheelchairs have just as much right to use the deck as do power walkers, and other than common courtesy, have no requirement to give way to somebody going faster.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mopree said:

I'm glad you and your DH are able to find ways to continue to enjoy life.  Speaking for myself and I don't remember anyone in this thread complaining because someone is slow.  If I happen to encounter you in an area that is only wide enough for one person at a time, I'll gladly wait until you pass.   Just as any other walker on the track, I would hope that you stay over to one side so people can pass you safely where space is available. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Enjoy your slower than others stroll around the Promenade Deck. Since this is a a forum on cruising, I'll suggest we use the same rules we do for manoeuvring ships.

In an overtaking situation, the responsibility of keeping clear rests entirely with the faster ship and the one being overtaken should maintain its course and speed. Therefore, the slower one has no responsibility to make room for the faster one.

If fast walkers and/or joggers can't live with that, they have other options available. As a walker, I certainly wouldn't be up on the jogging track or hogging a tread mill, so enjoy you slow walks around the Promenade Deck, pushing your husband.

Slow walkers and pax pushing wheelchairs have just as much right to use the deck as do power walkers, and other than common courtesy, have no requirement to give way to somebody going faster.

This I agree with except in one regard.  You have no right to use the entire lane bouncing back and forth or spreading your wings, so to speak, taking all available lanes.  Again I do think during rush hour 6:30-8 the promenade is, de facto, an exercise deck. Common courtesy says you should exercise situational awareness and respect the customs.  I do pass with a “passing on the left, good morning” alert but you cannot imagine how many times people just keep bouncing like a pin ball disregarding everyone behind them. That is rude 

• Like 2

@Mary229 I think this latest post is mostly on the mark. What @Heidi13 was saying if you are the person being overtaken it is your responsibility to maintain course and speed. That being said the person being overtaken should be maintaining that course and speed some place other than the middle of the lane.

I think that the use of "American Standard" in the opening post was what many Non Americans, who will be on ships not flying the Stars and Stripes, in places nowhere near the USA, found a little pretentious. Other than that one phrase I believe you have a valid point that most (including me) agree with.

• Like 4