Again - Early morning walking Promenade

Mary229

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm sorry, usually I agree with most of your posts, this time not so much. None of the HAL fleet flies an American flag. At different parts of the year many HAL ships are based in parts of the world where they drive on the wrong side (to us) of the road. Some people choose to walk clockwise others counterclockwise. Common courtesy would tell EVERYONE to grab some situational awareness and move to the side of the deck that most people are walking on for the direction you are going. Unfortunately the terminally entitled and situationally unaware will wander around wherever they want. Like you and I they paid for the privilege of occupying that space too.

I don't agree with many of your posts but this time you are on the money.  Common courtesy and situational awareness go a long way to minimizing this concern.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, AV8rix said:

I'm a very brisk walker for an old lady -- it's pretty much all the cardio I get any more.  So this subject is of great interest to me.

Many years ago they had signs on all ships indicating the proper direction.  Then this signage was removed or painted over, except on Amsterdam -- until the day she was sold she had "One Way (with arrow)" signage on the prom deck.

However, on all ship classes except Pinnacle (more on that later) there's not too much of a problem.  The prom decks are WIDE and there are only four blind corners; and on most ships there are mirrors mounted up high at the corners so you can see if anyone is coming the "wrong" way.  And I try to do my laps early in the morning when there's not too much traffic, except for the crew hosing down the decks each morning.

But the Pinnacle ships are a MESS and I've completely given up prom-deck laps.  Not only is the deck NARROW but there are so many blind-corner joggles that there is a REAL danger of slamming into someone coming in the opposite direction. 

A few years ago I actually sent an email to HAL asking why the directional signage had been removed from the prom decks.  Here's part of the answer I received:

We have gone to the shipboard staff and have been advised, as you probably saw this past weekend, that the ms Amsterdam is still the same with a one-way sign around the Lower Promenade Deck.

However, having said that, it is not the same on the ms Eurodam or on some of our other ships. While the Promenade deck can be used for walking around and doing laps, we do not have a policy on a correct walking direction though. The staff on some ships are allowed to paint (in big letters) at the aft rounding (against the stern enclosed steel railing): “walking direction” with a big arrow and we have this done on various ships.

Since it is not a Holland America Line policy, if a replacement ship’s staff decide to remove the arrow, they are free to do so. In addition, on the newer Pinnacle ships (ms Koningsdam and the ms Nieuw Statendam), we do encourage guests to use the track on the top deck.

OK, sorry for such a LONG comment but, again, this is a subject of great interest to me.

What a hodgepodge of an answer you got from HAL!!! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I bring this up on the HAL board as they have promenades on all ships.  There is limited space please consider common courtesy.FOR EARLY MORNING WALKING. The American standard, which applies to walking etiquette ,is move on the right, pass on the left.  Please move into the right lane.  If you notice you are contra flow turn around and go with the flow.  End of rant. 

News - on both the Oosterdam and Koningsdam the No Jogging signs have been removed 

I have booked a cruise on a Dutch flagged ship that will not cruise anywhere close to the United States. At present, our roll call is about 50/50 from UK/Canada/Australia and USA. On a foreign-flagged cruise ship, with multiple nationalities, I having difficulty why you would expect me, as a non-American, to follow your standard while enjoying my daily walks.

Surely, since the World has different standards, it should be based on the majority of the pax, which is what I have always done in 40 + years of cruising.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I found out from a mild scolding from a captain that the correct direction is counter clockwise while walking on a ship. Ever since that encounter when I see an errant walker I think to myself you are going to get a talking to. 

There are no jogging signs on the  Volendam due to rooms below it. Unfortunately some choose to ignore that. They sneak and  jog early in the morning which only makes it worse. 

That is the accepted standard on all ships I worked on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I have booked a cruise on a Dutch flagged ship that will not cruise anywhere close to the United States. At present, our roll call is about 50/50 from UK/Canada/Australia and USA. On a foreign-flagged cruise ship, with multiple nationalities, I having difficulty why you would expect me, as a non-American, to follow your standard while enjoying my daily walks.

Surely, since the World has different standards, it should be based on the majority of the pax, which is what I have always done in 40 + years of cruising.

Surely, with your experience, you know the answer---Americans in general expect everyone to follow their lead. Not saying it is right or wrong, just what it is.

• Like 6

This topic is of interest to me as well.  We just returned from an 18 day Koningsdam Hawaii cruise and we walked  every day.

I am a slow walker, due to knee replacement.  I keep to the right always.  What I find frustrating is people coming up  behind me and not saying something like "coming up behind you"....etc.  

I used to walk in a class and that is what we were taught.  I would not want to hold up anyone who is faster than me.  I am going at a pace that is comfortable to me.  Plus we had some really rough rolling seas and it was often a struggle to walk in a straight line.

I found myself often looking over my shoulder to make sure I was not holding anyone behind me up  from passing.  A simple statement comping up behind you works wonders.

Keep on walking folks!

• Like 8

My DH says it is wiser to walk counter-clockwise because then your heart is on the inside, which would be less stressful.  I think that's the way horse races are run - except in Ireland...

P1020245.thumb.JPG.d7fca870769830dae5bf711d0c3e116e.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

HAL is a Dutch flagged fleet, as the above comment notes. But the direction one walks around the ship isn’t an American standard. I’ve yet to see a track meet anywhere in the world where the participants move in a clockwise direction around the track.

I have no problem passing on the left or the right, but it is those that choose to wander from side to side as they walk ahead of me that makes the choice of where to pass (or when) a challenge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

I am a slow walker, due to knee replacement.  I keep to the right always.  What I find frustrating is people coming up  behind me and not saying something like "coming up behind you"....etc.  

A s cyclists, when approaching someone walking (or cycling) in the same direction we call out "passing on your left" (or right, if the person is on the "wrong" side.

• Like 4

Interesting topic - I wondered about this while on the NS earlier this month - which direction to take on the promenade.  I looked for signs - nothing.  I looked for trends - people were walking both directions.  So, I walked several laps one way and then turned to walk several more the other (I walk a fair distance).  My reason is because of the morning sun angle.  Due to medical condition and associated medication, it's not advisable for me to get a lot of sun.  Even wearing heavy duty sunscreen, I of course, still get exposure (Caribbean).  I just prefer to not have it all on one side of my bod 😉

As a side note, I walk alone, am agile, flexible and aware so have no trouble going around walkers (with courtesies) on either side.  I try to just patiently wait for those that choose to do the 3 across and amble side to side on the small spots.  Not a huge deal in the big scheme of things as I know a Bloody Maria is waiting for me after my walk!  

• Like 3

We have cruised on the Zaandam many times in cabins below the promenade.  It is miserable when someone decides to jog just over our heads.  Usually it would be a 6 am early bird.  Just a thoughtless person who didn’t follow the signs or care for others.  Hate to think the signs have been removed.

On 2/28/2024 at 10:39 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll suggest that it's not the "American Standard" but the left-hand drive standard for driving.  If you visit areas that hand right-hand drive, i.e. Japan, United Kingdom, Australia, India and other areas formerly under British rule, you'll also encounter the same issue walking through the countries.

I always assumed this as well, but in England I am totally confounded because sometimes they do, but often they don’t🤷‍♀️😂

I just got off 42 days on the Rotterdam and put in about 100 of walking and over my 900 days on DAM ships I am sure that I have 2000+ miles.  I have found that about 95% of the walkers go counter clockwise which is the same direction that races are run in the Olympics.  On the Pinnacle ships with the narrow walking decks and 8 blind corners it is not good to have people walking in opposite directions.  One days last week I nearly ran into the same lady 4 times at blind corners.  She was the only one going clockwise.  Also, when HAL does the "Walk for the Cause" it is always done counter clockwise.  I wish they would put up signs for the direction to walk.  As others have said the main issue is groups walking 3 or 4 abreast or a single person walking in the middle on Pinnacle ships.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Skorpora said:

Easy way to know you're going the correct way on the promenade: whenever you have to turn, it's to the left. 

My pet peeve is people who stop and block the path for everyone else. They're usually oblivious.  this happens on land too. Often a the top of an escalator I find. 

Just happened to me boarding a plane at the bottom of an escalator, the couple ahead stopped suddenly .  Arggh and with carry on and people behind me! 

• Like 1

We were on a  35 days on a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in an Oceanview stateroom under the promenade deck. Every day, at 6 am someone was heavily walking on the promenade.  He was told to be mindful of people underneath, but he wasn’t.  Since then, I have never booked an ocean view cabin underneath the Promenade deck. I’ll take an inside before that.

Walking direction.   Any track and field  sport.  Olympic racing or not alwais is in counter clock wise direction.  So whenever I come out to the promenade deck i turn LEFT.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, crx said:

Walking direction.   Any track and field  sport.  Olympic racing or not alwais is in counter clock wise direction.  So whenever I come out to the promenade deck i turn LEFT.

Ice skating is also counter clockwise.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not always. 

Correct Lyle. The British Grand Prix at Silverstone races in a clockwise direction, as I believe most races are in Europe.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I think instead of trying to poll everyone a person should observe what is the prevailing direction and follow in for a safe and non confrontational morning walk.   Insisting on going against the flow on a congested activity makes everyone else miserable.  So why do it?   People simply want to walk without continuing to yield to that one couple who insists upon going against the flow and the other couple who insist on holding hands sprawled across the entire width.  Move over or come later when things are more leisurely. Berating me for stating a person should follow custom makes me assume that some people just don’t care if others are inconvenienced by one’s actions.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think instead of trying to poll everyone a person should observe what is the prevailing direction and follow in for a safe and non confrontational morning walk.   Insisting on going against the flow on a congested activity makes everyone else miserable.  So why do it?   People simply want to walk without continuing to yield to that one couple who insists upon going against the flow and the other couple who insist on holding hands sprawled across the entire width.  Move over or come later when things are more leisurely. Berating me for stating a person should follow custom makes me assume that some people just don’t care if others are inconvenienced by one’s actions.  

Nobody has mentioned anything about polling pax, so I have no idea where that came from. 

My issue with your original post isn't the direction of travel, as the traditional direction on cruise ships, regardless of Flag, is counter-clockwise. My issue is your statement that everyone should adhere to your American standard of walking on the right and passing on the left. What gives you the right, on a foreign-flagged ship, to request other nationalities to follow the standards accepted in your country?

When I am sailing on a Dutch flagged vessel in South America, with the possible exception of Dutch Nationals, I consider it as extremely rude for any Nationality, to expect other nationalities to adhere to their standards. Sorry, once you step foot on a foreign-flagged ship, you are no longer in the United States, nor dealing with US Laws and standards.

BTW - I have also experienced this issue when Americans were <5% of the pax compliment, on a WC out of Sydney. Yes, we had a couple of Americans out every morning walking on the right, while the Aussies, Kiwis and I walked on the left. Never an issue, as we all got along, chatting as we passed and made it work. Certainly, nobody found it necessary to ask them to follow the local custom, and the majority, and certainly nobody posted a rant on Cruise Critic. In fact, the AM walking group, with all nationalities, met for a photo op and few drinks at the end of the cruise.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Correct Lyle. The British Grand Prix at Silverstone races in a clockwise direction, as I believe most races are in Europe.

At least they are all going in the same direction. Otherwise instead of a race, it would be a demolition derby!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

At least they are all going in the same direction. Otherwise instead of a race, it would be a demolition derby!

They have those too 😉, even when they're going in the same diection.

• Like 1