Is Vista GDR Menu Posted?

Hlitner

Not sure of the question, sample menus are posted on the website.

Once onboard, if Vista is like other ships, menus are posted the day of.  On our R class cruises, only the current day, perhaps there’s more forewarning on the newer ships.

2 hours ago, pmatawan said:

Lunch and dinner menus are usually posted on tv by 9:30-10am daily.

With the exception of the Terrace cafe I believe.  At least that was the case on our recent cruise on Serena.  

4 hours ago, pmatawan said:

Lunch and dinner menus are usually posted on tv by 9:30-10am daily.

On Insignia in January the lunch menus were not available until breakfast ended, and dinner menus were posted after lunch time. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On recent Vista cruises all menus for the day were posted on the tvs in the morning. When we disembarked we immediately embarked a new Celebrity cruise. Nice there that all menus for all restaurants for the entire cruise are available on their app prior to embarkation. Look forward to the day when O will up their technology game and offer information in an up to date user friendly way!

2 hours ago, edgee said:

On recent Vista cruises all menus for the day were posted on the tvs in the morning. When we disembarked we immediately embarked a new Celebrity cruise. Nice there that all menus for all restaurants for the entire cruise are available on their app prior to embarkation. Look forward to the day when O will up their technology game and offer information in an up to date user friendly way!

So, too, with Princess' app.  That's the *one* thing I miss an O app for.  Hoping our butler can get that info for us.

Interesting oddity about the Princess' app:  Once you booked a specialty, that menu replaced the MDR menu in the app for that night.

Just thinking outside the box for a moment.

On a personal level, I’ve never gone hungry in any cruise ship, so what the GDR will serve next Thursday or a week from Friday was never must know information. On Oceania, I’m always fairly assured I’ll find something I’ll like. I suppose other Inquiring Minds like to know weeks in advance.

The current SOP of Oceania is a familiarity of menus between the GDR and the buffet. So if one didn’t like the GDR offerings, then outside of the buffet grill they may not like the Terrace Cafe offering either. Options: the Specialties. Here’s the catch though: the other Lines mostly charge for Specialty reservations while Oceania doesn’t. Therefore, if one doesn’t like the menu for a week from Tuesday, on another line, they can PAY, to do something different. Oceania may not want that long 08:00 lineup at the Specialties Reservations Desk, based on the posted menu, for something they’ll make no money on. Therefore, you learn the dinner menu after lunch when any and all Specialties reservations are typically gone.

As Forrest Gump would say “ Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’ll get until you open the box!” Some of us can handle that just fine, as a bit of mystery and surprise enhances life. Others want to know exactly what’s in the box and precisely where each chocolate is located within the box before they buy it. For us, Oceania spending the money to develop and maintain an app that tells me what the GDR will serve a week from next Tuesday would be a waste of funds. Others feel differently.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

On a personal level, I’ve never gone hungry in any cruise ship, so what the GDR will serve next Thursday or a week from Friday was never must know information. On Oceania, I’m always fairly assured I’ll find something I’ll like. I suppose other Inquiring Minds like to know weeks in advance.

Quite simple.  The more extra specialty visits you've snagged, the less likely they will give you another.  Plan ahead.

BTW:  We *have* gone hungry.  It was our first voyage, we got 2nd seating, and didn't know there was a buffet serving prime rib all afternoon.  D'oh!  ::blush::

1 minute ago, Snaefell3 said:

Quite simple.  The more extra specialty visits you've snagged, the less likely they will give you another.  Plan ahead.

BTW:  We *have* gone hungry.  It was our first voyage, we got 2nd seating, and didn't know there was a buffet serving prime rib all afternoon.  D'oh!  ::blush::

? Second seating on Oceani.

Was on Vista in January.  Lunch and Dinner menu's, including Terrace posted mid-late morning.

While its true Terrace does offer most of the "featured" dishes that will be in the MDR every night, there is always a few extra options at Terrace. Also, you can always get things grilled to order in Terrace, including lobster tails (every night if you like).   If all else fails, there is always Waves for salad and pizza.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Some of us can handle that just fine, as a bit of mystery and surprise enhances life. Others

ME ME ME 🙂 If I'm going to a new restaurant to me I'll certainly look at their menu before I make a res. Just to see if it's to my general liking. But then I won't look at it again until I'm seated at the restaurant.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

ME ME ME 🙂 If I'm going to a new restaurant to me I'll certainly look at their menu before I make a res. Just to see if it's to my general liking. But then I won't look at it again until I'm seated at the restaurant.

The discussion is the GDR, not some new restaurant. The GDR posts its menu daily in the mid afternoon for dinner. One can see a sample menu months in advance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The discussion is the GDR, not some new restaurant. The GDR posts its menu daily in the mid afternoon for dinner. One can see a sample menu months in advance.

MY point is that I don't need or want to see menu weeks in advance. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

MY point is that I don't need or want to see menu weeks in advance. 

His point is that you can't stay on topic. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ORV said:

His point is that you can't stay on topic. 

And his point is wrong.  There was plenty of convo about people wanting to see menus WAY in advance.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

And his point is wrong.  There was plenty of convo about people wanting to see menus WAY in advance.

And therein lies the problem, you don't even understand that you're doing it. 

1 minute ago, ORV said:

And therein lies the problem, you don't even understand that you're doing it. 

Do you know that there's an "ignore" feature here? Since this non-event bothered you so much you may want to check it out.