Sun Princess docks in Rome at 6:00am

Is it possible to make a 12:30PM flight out of FCO to the US?  Has anyone done this before.  As of now, we are scheduled to stay a night in Rome, but might want to just try and get home that Saturday, instead of waiting around till Sunday.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Is it possible to make a 12:30PM flight out of FCO to the US?  Has anyone done this before.  As of now, we are scheduled to stay a night in Rome, but might want to just try and get home that Saturday, instead of waiting around till Sunday.

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t. I’ve flown through FCO many times and was glad I had atleast 3 hours prior checkin at airport before my flight.

• Like 7

Just now, dog said:

I wouldn’t. I’ve flown through FCO many times and was glad I had atleast 3 hours prior checkin at airport before my flight.

You are absolutely correct!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dog said:

I wouldn’t. I’ve flown through FCO many times and was glad I had at least 3 hours prior check-in at airport before my flight.

So, why couldn't the OP arrive at FCO by 9:30am?  Just need pre-arranged limo services from Civi port.

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

So, why couldn't the OP arrive at FCO by 9:30am?  Just need pre-arranged limo services from Civi port.

The OP "could" arrive by 9:30 or 10.

There could also be a traffic accident between Civitavecchia and FCO, a flat tire, the ship's arrival delayed or workers at FCO having a work slow down.

Why not have a relaxing day exploring Rome?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The OP "could" arrive by 9:30 or 10.

There could also be a traffic accident between Civitavecchia and FCO, a flat tire, the ship's arrival delayed or workers at FCO having a work slow down.

Why not have a relaxing day exploring Rome?

Absolutely possible to arrive then, but my first- hand experiences tells me to allow for traffic we have experienced, terminal changes last minute, line ups in terminal to do bag drop and so on.

Take your chance in Italy!

• Like 2

We had no issues last time returning to Civi port.  Zipped to FCO in our pre-arranged limo and NP at all with check-in and security. 

Our troubles came later with the connection at Heathrow.  We did make the plane, but just nuts there at the time with the transfer process - and it was BA both segments.  I knew it could be a challenge at that airport, but went for the great business class pricing.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I Agee!  45 minutes to the airport,  hour max.  Should give ample time.

To y'all who say we could make it....would you suggest the Princess Transfer, or a taxi.  Are taxi's at the port that early in the morning?  About how much would the taxi cost?  The transfer I believe is about $79 per person.

1 hour ago, MudderBear said:

To y'all who say we could make it....would you suggest the Princess Transfer, or a taxi.  Are taxi's at the port that early in the morning?  About how much would the taxi cost?  The transfer I believe is about $79 per person.

I would pre-arrange a private taxi. Do not use a taxi that is really a large van and waits for all the booked passengers to show up - had a bad experience with that. IIRC Stefano's Rome Cabs took us from FCO to Civitavecchia a couple of years ago for around 120 Euros total - probably more now though. Pretty sure they can do the same in reverse. You'll have a driver with your name on a sign waiting for you when you leave the terminal with your luggage. +39 339 3525028 or www.romecabs.com. IMHO they were well worth the money, even if more expensive than a Princess transfer as you'll get where you're going faster.

• Like 3

We like Rome in Limo.   Very professional, clean cars and reasonable rates.  Waits for you with a sign just outside the terminal.  I would never take a taxi to FCO.  Be sure to give yourself plenty of time before your flight.  Very busy airport and lines are long.  For us we need at least three hours before our flight to feel comfortable.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We had no issues last time returning to Civi port.  Zipped to FCO in our pre-arranged limo and NP at all with check-in and security. 

Our troubles came later with the connection at Heathrow.  We did make the plane, but just nuts there at the time with the transfer process - and it was BA both segments.  I knew it could be a challenge at that airport, but went for the great business class pricing.

This exact thing happened to us with an LHR connection and we were also on BA flights.  Last passengers on the plane, but we made it by a hair.  I don’t ever want to do that again.  Flight attendant handed us a bottle of water each before we even got to our seats!  She knew we ran all the way to the gate!

• Like 4

On the Enchanted this past November, ship had a 6:00 am arrival; disembarkation started at 7:15 am (late by 15 minutes); Princess transfer left at 7:45 am and arrived at FCO at 8:35 am.  Made to my BA flight at 11:30 am with plenty of time to spare.  We decided to use the Princess transfer because we had extra OBC and purchased it while on board.  Also note that at FCO, airlines don't open check-in for flights until 3 hours prior to departure.  Gates aren't posted until ~1 hour prior to departure.

Wouldn't hire a taxi it will be the same cost or more of a private car transfer.  Note, that Civi port does not allow private taxis into the cruise ship terminals.  You have to take the Port Mobility bus to the central pick-up/drop area in town and hire a taxi there.  I'm not even sure that a taxi will take you to FCO as it's out of the way.

30 minutes ago, explorer50uk said:

Hi

Can you tell me the princess transfer costs from civitavechi to fumicino please? 

Approximately $80.00 US per person 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

.. Note, that Civi port does not allow private taxis into the cruise ship terminals.  You have to take the Port Mobility bus to the central pick-up/drop area in town and hire a taxi there.  I'm not even sure that a taxi will take you to FCO as it's out of the way.

Are you referring to general for-hire taxis as opposed to those reserved in advance?

If not, I wonder who all those people are who are holding signs with passenger's names at the exit from the cruise terminal?

Have posted this a few times, so here it is again :).  We have flown out of FCO many times, and have no hesitation on booking a post cruise flight that departs at 11am (or later).  We have also done quite a few earlier flights (I think our earliest was 9:50) but that did cause me a little anxiety.  With the morning flights we always book a private transfer with Romecabs (Romecabs.com) and will often post on the CC Roll Call looking for 1 or 2 other couples to share (this lowers the per person transfer cost).

We do time our transfer reservation to get us to FCO about 3 hours before our scheduled flight.  A 7am pick-up will usually get you to the terminal by 8.

Hank

4 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Are you referring to general for-hire taxis as opposed to those reserved in advance?

If not, I wonder who all those people are who are holding signs with passenger's names at the exit from the cruise terminal?

Port guards will not let unreserved transport automobiles past the secured area into the cruise terminals.  That's why a taxi stand is no where to be found around immediately outside the cruise terminals.  If you want to hail a taxi, not pre reserved, you have to take the Port Mobility bus to Largo della Pace and hire a taxi there.  Point is to pre-reserve your ride prior to disembarking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like Hank,

I pre book RomeCabs online. Driver holds up sign with my name outside terminal. Walk a few steps to car. Always allow 3+ hours for an International flight.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:31 PM, Steelers36 said:

Our ship also arrives at Civitavecchia at 6 AM and I've booked a private car for 9 with Roma Cabs and they've assured me that we'd make it to FCO by 10. Our flight is at 1:05 PM to Canada. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

On the Enchanted this past November, ship had a 6:00 am arrival; disembarkation started at 7:15 am (late by 15 minutes); Princess transfer left at 7:45 am and arrived at FCO at 8:35 am.  Made to my BA flight at 11:30 am with plenty of time to spare.  We decided to use the Princess transfer because we had extra OBC and purchased it while on board.  Also note that at FCO, airlines don't open check-in for flights until 3 hours prior to departure.  Gates aren't posted until ~1 hour prior to departure.

Wouldn't hire a taxi it will be the same cost or more of a private car transfer.  Note, that Civi port does not allow private taxis into the cruise ship terminals.  You have to take the Port Mobility bus to the central pick-up/drop area in town and hire a taxi there.  I'm not even sure that a taxi will take you to FCO as it's out of the way.

Funny thing is that Roma Cabs has told me thy will pick us up next to the ship. I'm quite sure they were bring truthful. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I would pre-arrange a private taxi. Do not use a taxi that is really a large van and waits for all the booked passengers to show up - had a bad experience with that. IIRC Stefano's Rome Cabs took us from FCO to Civitavecchia a couple of years ago for around 120 Euros total - probably more now though. Pretty sure they can do the same in reverse. You'll have a driver with your name on a sign waiting for you when you leave the terminal with your luggage. +39 339 3525028 or www.romecabs.com. IMHO they were well worth the money, even if more expensive than a Princess transfer as you'll get where you're going faster.

You don't have to leave the terminal with Roma Cabs. This is the text on our voucher from Roma cabs. 

Your driver will meet you ON THE PIER NEXT TO YOUR SHIP at your scheduled Pick Up Time, holding a sign with the NAME in your reservation.

Edited by HMSDingy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

You don't have to leave the terminal with Roma Cabs. This is the text on our voucher from Roma cabs. 

Your driver will meet you ON THE PIER NEXT TO YOUR SHIP at your scheduled Pick Up Time, holding a sign with the NAME in your reservation.

Yup.  We were also picked up there.

30 minutes ago, HMSDingy said:

Funny thing is that Roma Cabs has told me thy will pick us up next to the ship. I'm quite sure they were bring truthful. 

There’s a difference between pre reserving and hailing a taxi on the spot.  You can’t hire a taxi on the spot immediately outside the Cruise Terminal in Civi.  There will be none to hire.  All of the taxis are outside the port area.  If you pre reserved a ride, then the driver should be waiting outside the terminal.

• Like 1