Dietary Restrictions

I have a high sensitivity to spices and cannot eat any fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, or any dairy products due to the possibility of bacteria. I'm thinking this may be too challenging.  I'd really like to cruise, have cruised before I developed this issue, but never cruised since this issue.  Should I just forget it and cancel OR do you think I can find a suitable menu while cruising?  Anyone have experience in this arena?

27 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I have a high sensitivity to spices and cannot eat any fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, or any dairy products due to the possibility of bacteria. I'm thinking this may be too challenging.  I'd really like to cruise, have cruised before I developed this issue, but never cruised since this issue.  Should I just forget it and cancel OR do you think I can find a suitable menu while cruising?  Anyone have experience in this arena?

Honestly, with that list, you probably won't be able to eat 95% of the food that is served on a cruise ship.

Do you eat in restaurants at home?  How do you manage that?

• Like 2

I think you can make it work.  I believe there is a special needs form you can fill out and email to Carnival, and then when you board, talk with the maitre’d about your restrictions.  Ask for any sauces to be served on the side, if at all.  All vegetables well cooked.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I think you can make it work.  I believe there is a special needs form you can fill out and email to Carnival, and then when you board, talk with the maitre’d about your restrictions.  Ask for any sauces to be served on the side, if at all.  All vegetables well cooked.  EM

Thank you.  Yes, vegetables can be well-cooked and that is pretty easy.  I appreciate the info about the maitre'd and I'll look for the form.  I eat beef or chicken but with no spices or sauces. 

The evening menus always have an ‘always available’ selection which includes a basic steak, and chicken breast, maybe salmon.  There used to be a list of add-ons also, such as French fries, baked potato, mashed potatoes, some vegetables.  If you speak to your waiter the first night about your restrictions, each night at the end of the meal they will bring you the menu for the next night and you can order what you can eat.  Sometimes they can modify things for you.  They do this for gluten sensitive guests and those with allergies.  Then the next night when you are given the menu, tell the waiter that you have a meal ordered.  EM

There is also a person outside the buffet that can help direct you to what you WILL be able to eat.  They have all the ingredient listings to help those that can't just eat what they want

Carnival also has a "relatively" new program called menu mates. Here is what they emailed me about when I inquired about a food allergy:

------EMAIL TEXT-------
Our ships* are equipped with Menu Mate™ food ingredient program fleetwide to accommodate guests with food allergies. Easily operated on touch-screen tablets at food venues, the Menu Mate food ingredient program is powered by award-winning CertiStar software to mitigate the risks of allergic reactions. The new program is the first of its kind among major cruise lines. Our staff will ask guests about food allergies and enter any restrictions into the program. The software will then sort through all available options and display which items are allergen-free, which options can be modified to exclude the specified allergen and which selections should be avoided. If preferred, guests can also use the Menu Mate designated tablet themselves to enter in their own allergy/dietary information and then order from the options curated to meet their needs. Guests will also be able to find a Menu Mate tablet on display near the Lido buffet stations as well.

* Menu Mate™ currently not available on Carnival Venezia™

Once on board, it is highly recommended that you contact our dining team for assistance.

We look forward to providing you a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.  See you on board!

I had a very severe allergy to all poultry for well over 30 yrs- had to be very careful of soups, sauces and all poultry- i always spoke with the maitre'd the 1st night and never had a problem- luckily i outgrew the allergy and have been able to eat poultry since 2006- i wish you happy cruising!!