Inaugural cruise perks?

Do the cruise lines do anything special for an inaugural cruise?  Thinking of doing one, but the price is just a bit more than I would pay ( have to have 3 days pre and 2 days post).  Just want to know if there are any passenger perks ( swag bag, better food, souvenirs.)  

The only thing I can think of are lines that give reciprocity for your status elsewhere.  RCI and Celebrity do it among each other, and MSC does it for almost any loyalty program.  I think HAL grants 1-star status for having been on any Carnival Corp line.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think reciprocity across lines has anything at all to do with perks that may be included on an inaugural cruise.  And while the ship would likely throw a couple of extra parties, and you might have a bottle of cheap bubbly and maybe some kind of souvenir gift to mark the inaugural cruise, most people sail on them just for bragging rights. You could also expect an inordinate number of press, vloggers, travel agents, as well as corporate guests.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did the inaugural cruise on Grandeur of the Seas in 1996 and they gave us each a hard bound book describing the build, the ship, the launch staff, the company management staff, along with a story about RCCL.  It was actually very nice.

Thanks for the responses.  I thought it was just about the bragging rights.  Not worth the expense just for that.  Onward with my cruise search

Posted (edited)

DW and DS did Disney WISH maiden voyage and this is the swag haul ... some of which was  'free' - in the very $$ fare - and some cost extra yet. This cruise never got past being offered to 'platinum' status of the Castaway Club (returning customers)  image.thumb.png.07dc125b1b07ec211e4a07ceae6b5d30.png

at least with DCL there is a significant difference between maiden (first 'regular' cruise with paying pax) and inaugural  .. we sailed inaugural on Disney Magic and Wonder where all sailings were inaug' for the first 12 months of operation. No swag for free on those but they did sell shirts with inaugural cruise on the sleeve.

So far as special food .... you may actually experience more booboo's food wise and they are still learning their way around!!!! My gang has no desire to do another maiden . . . there was a strong "me first - I'm special" attitude in the air . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Perks can also include not quite complete finishings so you end up sharing your cruise w construction people up to having your cruise cancelled because it was not ready for sailing.  The latter "perk" just recently actually happened for one line just recently.

DON

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Perks can also include not quite complete finishings so you end up sharing your cruise w construction people up to having your cruise cancelled because it was not ready for sailing.  The latter "perk" just recently actually happened for one line just recently.

DON

Exactly.

Bigwigs may hog the specialty restaurants or other venues for events you aren't invited to. There may be plenty of teething problems for staff and facilities. I would wait until the reviews are in.

Would anyone be impressed that you were on the first sailing?

Edited by whogo
  • Like 1