Labadee?

8 minutes ago, CAM64 said:

If hundreds of escaped Haitian prisoners can get to Florida by boat, then they can certainly get to Labadee by boat.  What kind of security do they have on Labadee and the cruise ships?    Plus, a State of Emergency has been issue and our government is telling Americans to leave.

The security they have at Labadee and security on cruise ships has need discussed over and over for 30 years. You can Google search or search cruise ships. You will find many different opinions on how good that security is. So far none has tried to breach it, that we know about anyway.

I can’t think of why hundreds of escaped Haitian prisoners who had the opportunity to go to Florida by boat would go to Labadee. 🤔

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I can’t think of why hundreds of escaped Haitian prisoners who had the opportunity to go to Florida by boat would go to Labadee. 🤔

Pit stop for some food and to pick up some genuine Haitian souvenirs to trade in Miami.

• Haha 6

Haiti's country security report linked from the State Department's advisory page has this:

Labadee, a port near Cap Haïtien in the north only accessible by cruise ship passengers, has private security and low rates of reported crime.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RFerrington said:

We disembarked at Labadee today.  Business as usual.  

Geeeze, the amount of bickering I had to sort through just to find out this information was stupid. Thank you for actual information. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is a poor policy, sorry but that’s a fact. This can not be the problem of Royal Caribbean. 
If a UK policy won’t cover a destination like Labadee it’s a wonder UK travelers can ever have travel insurance. There is, at any given time, a half dozen or so islands in the Caribbean on some sort of watch list. 

UK travel insurance is not poor, fact!

The UK foreign office / government has deemed Haiti and Haitian waters to be a no go travel area and so insurance companies will not cover cover it.

There is a difference to being on a watch list for unrest and having no proper sitting government and uncontrolled violence and gangs and convicts running amok. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And I say it again; there is NOTHING in Labadee they want 

The department of state has had Haiti on a level 3 or 4 watch for years, nothing new 

Apart from making a big noise if they go there- it's a huge way of getting your name heard in the world by doing something stupid there.

These people react first think second, Labadee is a sitting duck

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Apart from making a big noise if they go there- it's a huge way of getting your name heard in the world by doing something stupid there.

These people react first think second, Labadee is a sitting duck

The “gangs” goal does not seem to be making a big noise in the world. It seems to be seizing state power in Haiti. Doing something stupid at Labadee could draw foreign intervention which seems like what they don’t want. They don’t want the Kenyan police force to come. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jasong38501 said:

Geeeze, the amount of bickering I had to sort through just to find out this information was stupid. Thank you for actual information. 

Unfortunately, most topics are like this. Peeps spend more time giving irrelevant "opinions" instead of answers. So annoying.

BTW..... "Save the Whales"....lol.....jk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

So you don’t have facts. You are just speculating. 🤔 

I know for a fact a UK insurance company won’t cover you - I worked for an insurance company. I don’t know what RC would do, and haven’t asked them because I don’t need to know, it doesn’t personally impact me.

satisfied now?

5 hours ago, zeberdee said:

UK travel insurance is not poor, fact!

The UK foreign office / government has deemed Haiti and Haitian waters to be a no go travel area and so insurance companies will not cover cover it.

There is a difference to being on a watch list for unrest and having no proper sitting government and uncontrolled violence and gangs and convicts running amok. 

A policy that doesn’t cover you for what YOU want to do and can arbitrarily add and remove destinations and presumably situations is a poor policy; certainly one I would never invest my money in. 

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The A-Team

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them... maybe you can hire the A-Team.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

A policy that doesn’t cover you for what YOU want to do and can arbitrarily add and remove destinations and presumably situations is a poor policy; certainly one I would never invest my money in. 

What insurance anywhere would cover you in what is basically a 'war zone' (or not far off) , no underwriter will cover that anywhere - the difference is the UK and others has classed this as a no go area while USA has not - its not the insurance, its the different approach by governments.

Try getting insurance to Syria and see how far you get.

The USA classed the UK as a no go area during some periods of covid - I doubt your insurance would have covered you if you got here and fell ill.  All insurance is subject to underwriting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The “gangs” goal does not seem to be making a big noise in the world. It seems to be seizing state power in Haiti. Doing something stupid at Labadee could draw foreign intervention which seems like what they don’t want. They don’t want the Kenyan police force to come. 

And they REALLY don’t want America involved. I think they’d be happy to successfully take over the government and continue cashing in Royal’s checks. Not much money coming into Haiti otherwise. And it’s a pity. It’s a beautiful disaster zone. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gavvy said:

The USA classed the UK as a no go area during some periods of covid - I doubt your insurance would have covered you if you got here and fell ill.  All insurance is subject to underwriting.

For all the recent concern about the Bahamas, the USA has the Bahamas and the UK as level 2 threats right now.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gavvy said:

What insurance anywhere would cover you in what is basically a 'war zone' (or not far off) , no underwriter will cover that anywhere - the difference is the UK and others has classed this as a no go area while USA has not - its not the insurance, its the different approach by governments.

Try getting insurance to Syria and see how far you get.

My annual travel policy has ZERO exclusions as relates to geography. 
some activities are excluded pending purchase of additional riders.

My policy treats (always has since the advent of the disease) Covid as any other disease, no problem there. 

Comparing Haiti to Syria is hilarious. Your government has decided to leave you high and dry because you have the audacity to spend a day at a beach resort - big government run amuck. 

Safe travels, and be sure to get someone from the foreign office to sign your permission slips. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

2 hours ago, ah33919 said:

Unfortunately, most topics are like this. Peeps spend more time giving irrelevant "opinions" instead of answers. So annoying.

BTW..... "Save the Whales"....lol.....jk

Read the original post. It is asking for opinions. There is no actual answer to the question. You should have known that. Yet, you open and read the thread then complain of being annoyed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Read the original post. It is asking for opinions. There is no actual answer to the question. You should have known that. Yet, you open and read the thread then complain of being annoyed. 

I was quoting and agreeing with Jasong about the bickering….

You proved his point.

I once read:

“Spin things however you want as it makes little difference to me.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ah33919 said:

I was quoting and agreeing with Jasong about the bickering….

You proved his point.

I once read:

“Spin things however you want as it makes little difference to me.”

Yup, I stand by that line.