Wonderland - Any Items Contain Tree Nuts?

We have a reservation at Wonderland for our upcoming cruise.  My husband is fine with peanuts and coconuts.  Almonds are fine, but he cannot have other tree nuts (e.g. walnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pecans, pistachio).  He's fine if a drop gets in his food, or if cooked at the same facility, but cannot have a handful of them or if they are an ingredient in a dish.

He prefers not to mention his allergy as he's done that in the past and then the waiters will not serve him things even though they are fine.  He'll just read menu items and order based off the description, and then ask specifically if any doubts.  He carries Benadryl with him.

So my question is...are there any dishes with tree nuts he needs to watch for?  He took a look at a sample menu and it seems ok, but thought I'd ask here for those that have dined there.

Thanks.

They choose my appetizers and desserts. My chocolate dessert had pea ut butter, which I dont like. I'm allergic to coconut so I asked for no coconut. Dont care for peanut butter so ate around it best I could. Just order something else.the around the world chocolate dessert did have peanut butter ice cream is all I remember.

Posted (edited)

IMO, I think the only way to be sure is to ask the maitre d or the waiters once on board.  I would not rely on CC posters to be certain. Otherwise there may be items in the ingredients that may cause concern and if you don't know, then there could be an issue. Wouldn't he rather not be served foods that may include those items?  It's kind of a Catch-22 in that you don't want to eat foods that contain those items but you don't want to find out if those items are in the foods. If it were me, I would ask. Again, JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

57 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Yep...not asking if he should let the servers know.  Just asking if any known foods have the tree nuts listed.  

I realize that and not being critical - just was suggesting that would be the only sure way to know instead of hoping someone here knows for sure.

Enjoy your cruise.

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I realize that and not being critical - just was suggesting that would be the only sure way to know instead of hoping someone here knows for sure.

Enjoy your cruise.

No worries. Thanks. 

To me their big thing is the egg in the birds nest. They fry up some noodles crispy and half a fancy hard boiled egg. It was better than I expected. I had 3 other apps and pork belly with some wierd sides I didnt eat. And dessert. You can pick your own entree. 

• Like 1

Understand that Wonderland doesn’t have a regular menu.  They tell you what they are serving but will make changes as requested.  I'm allergic to fish--all fish-- and dh doesn’t eat shell fish or meat.  When going to a restaurant like this one (& Chef'sTable) with a limited choice menu we always speak with them in advance and don't wait until we're sitting at the table.  I always feel they appreciate the advance notice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Understand that Wonderland doesn’t have a regular menu.  They tell you what they are serving but will make changes as requested.  I'm allergic to fish--all fish-- and dh doesn’t eat shell fish or meat.  When going to a restaurant like this one (& Chef'sTable) with a limited choice menu we always speak with them in advance and don't wait until we're sitting at the table.  I always feel they appreciate the advance notice. 

They handed me a menu. 3 rows of appetizers with spicy or whatever labels and asked my preferences. I picked my entree also from the menu they handed to me. You just probably cant pick all 12 appetizers if you are solo maybe, but I received a menu. I'm not a big eater so picked the pork belly. The short ribs looked exactly like what I always get on b2b turnaround day. The table next to me ordered those. I wanted something I dont get usually.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They handed me a menu. 3 rows of appetizers with spicy or whatever labels and asked my preferences. I picked my entree also from the menu they handed to me. You just probably cant pick all 12 appetizers if you are solo maybe, but I received a menu. I'm not a big eater so picked the pork belly. The short ribs looked exactly like what I always get on b2b turnaround day. The table next to me ordered those. I wanted something I dont get usually.

Ok, you're correct but my memory it was very limited.  We went once, it was interesting but once was enough.   Sounds like they made changes,  which is good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Ok, you're correct but my memory it was very limited.  We went once, it was interesting but once was enough.   Sounds like they made changes,  which is good. 

I went dec 10th week on harmony so been a few months ago. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  We're looking forward to going there as it seems like a neat experience.  I'm sure DH will ask specific questions, especially if they go over the menu as it was noted above.  (Not allergy related but DH and I also don't eat meat and DD wants to avoid shrimp).

So, I know you just wanted to know tree nut items, and you said contamination can be okay...but...

You will be out to sea, away from premiere medical help if your spouse does run into the allergen.  While his previous reactions have not been life-threatening, that may not be the case for his future ones.  So, failing to inform the waitstaff of allergies seems like a really bad idea.

I understand your spouse may get more limited in his selections - I also have tree nut (and mango and dairy) allergies.  But more limited safe selections should always be preferable to unsafe ones.  If the allergy is not mentioned, it will not be prepared in a safe area nor with as much care.  It will be in a contaminated fryer (if it's a fried item) or in a contaminated grill/pan, possibly right next to tree nut products.  It may get made with someone making a tree nut dish, and then turning around and prepping your spouse's.  It's just not worth a gamble, since eating out with allergies is ALREADY a gamble, and now you're just adding to it.

If he won't mention the allergy, I would skip all vegan friendly items and all Asian items (especially Indian and Thai) and Mexican moles.  Cashew dairy products and unsafe almond flour (since all tree nuts, except coconut which is not biologically a tree nut, in the US are processed on the same lines without allergen level cleaning/sanitation UNLESS the product specifically says something like "these almonds were processed in a dedicated almond only line/facility") will be used extensively in vegan friendly stuff.  And Asian cuisine LOVES tree nuts in their savory dishes.  And all moles include nuts.

Again, though, I'd contact special needs and get his allergy listed.  If he already needs Benadryl just for ingesting a few nuts, he needs to be safe with his choices, and he can't be safe if the chefs and waitstaff don't know about it.

• Like 1

Asking the wait staff about allergies is nice, but one needs to go up the chain of command prior to eating at a restaurant. The wait staff's knowledge of the ingredients contained in a dish may not be complete.

• Like 2

Wonderland menus are the paint with water to reveal. we've eaten at Wonderland many times on 5 different ships.  Same menu as I recall.

Short ribs are the best entree. The World is the best dessert. None of the seafood apps or entrees have any nuts. I don't think your hubby will have any issues. He can eat around the peanut butter in the World dessert if it's too much.

21 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Wonderland menus are the paint with water to reveal. we've eaten at Wonderland many times on 5 different ships.  Same menu as I recall.

Short ribs are the best entree. The World is the best dessert. None of the seafood apps or entrees have any nuts. I don't think your hubby will have any issues. He can eat around the peanut butter in the World dessert if it's too much.

Thank you!  As mentioned, peanuts are not an issue.  They are a legume...not a tree nut.  (Personally I can't wait for that dessert!).

Good to know about the other dishes. He of course will ask specific questions (and I think he should say something but that's him). 

• Like 1