Sun Princess

2 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think some people have bemoaned no courts for  Pickleball, etc...

They might be happy.

I don't think the people you're referencing will ever be happy no matter what Princess does (short of going back to 1,500 passenger ships) 😜

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yep, now about that sanctuary area below ...

I don’t think the sanctuary will bother them, once people start playing pickleball they’ll notice nothing else around 😉

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And I assume that the Sanctuary Restaurant will now just serve the same menu as the main dinning room?  I assume it will use the same kitchen.   When it was a separate restaurant it was basically the same menu but elevated cooking.

Yes similar underwhelming setup as Reserve Class dining on any other Princess ship

No,  this is most definitely the 'reserve' class set up on existing ships, with no dining room space or extra kitchen available.   I would not make that assumption, at all.

This is an all new SANCTUARY ship-within-a ship' concept.

I do know that even the Reserve Dining Room on the Sun princess has had a few additional upgraded choices on the menu.

I think we need to see how this all goes before making assumptions based on prior ships.

You know what they say about 'assuming'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Yes similar underwhelming setup as Reserve Class dining on any other Princess ship

Is there any indication anywhere that the Suites only breakfast will be offered with this new configuration?  Currently it is offered in a Specialty Restaurant on the other ships.

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

No,  this is most definitely the 'reserve' class set up on existing ships, with no dining room space or extra kitchen available.   I would not make that assumption, at all.

This is an all new SANCTUARY ship-within-a ship' concept.

I do know that even the Reserve Dining Room on the Sun princess has had a few additional upgraded choices on the menu.

I think we need to see how this all goes before making assumptions based on prior ships.

You know what they say about 'assuming'.

For what it's worth, it's most definitely not a ship-in-a-ship concept as that would mean the staterooms, lounge, restaurant, and pool deck are all in a single, secured area and that's not what it is on the Sun Princess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

And I assume that the Sanctuary Restaurant will now just serve the same menu as the main dinning room?  I assume it will use the same kitchen.   When it was a separate restaurant it was basically the same menu but elevated cooking.

I was under the impression that the space just in front of the dining room is kitchen space the restaurant? I seem to recall that when it was being built they indicated that there were separate kitchen spaces for each of the main dining room decks.

Princess website has a page on Sanctuary Collection.  A chef’s menu is mentioned. Breakfast , lunch & dinner is mentioned somewhere and there is a fb article describing these changes. Sorry, I can’t post link.

Considering the Sun for next summer in Europe.

Attracted by the premier package, really does feel like everything is included for once

Sick of being nickel and dimed on board ships! Oh you fancy that Gelato? That’s extra! The creperie - sorry that’s additional charge!

Recently off MSC YC, enjoyed it thoroughly but does leave a bad taste in your mouth when you can’t have a speciality coffee on an all inclusive “premium” package! 

Premier does include almost  everything!

If you are taking about YC,  then you probably understand that you might want to book a Sanctuary Class cabin.  Which, of course, comes with the Premium Package.

I am fancying the special Gelato Sundaes at the Gelateria...

I know that the so called Premium Ice Cream Desserts are included.

I think they are offered on the Pool Deck????

Wonder if they would want to charge for one of the sundaes!

But, honestly, with all of the other desserts onboard and at meals, and sweet libations, how would I ever find the time or the space in my belly to fit one in!!!!

12 minutes ago, Matt97 said:

Considering the Sun for next summer in Europe.

Attracted by the premier package, really does feel like everything is included for once

Sick of being nickel and dimed on board ships! Oh you fancy that Gelato? That’s extra! The creperie - sorry that’s additional charge!

Recently off MSC YC, enjoyed it thoroughly but does leave a bad taste in your mouth when you can’t have a speciality coffee on an all inclusive “premium” package! 

In my experience the YC has the most generous amenities of all the lines when you consider the price (for perspective - our sailing on the Sun Princess is $20,400 for our family of four in a Vista Suite vs $7,900 for a similar sailing in the YC, but the YC comes with access to the thermal spa, 24/7 butler access, and a long list of other things not included in the Sanctuary on Princess).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

In my experience the YC has the most generous amenities of all the lines when you consider the price (for perspective - our sailing on the Sun Princess is $20,400 for our family of four in a Vista Suite vs $7,900 for a similar sailing in the YC, but the YC comes with access to the thermal spa, 24/7 butler access, and a long list of other things not included in the Sanctuary on Princess).

Oof.  20k for the Vista suite is a bit steep.

The living room is a bit narrow and Princess has that silly curtain between the bedroom and the living room, so not the best privacy for 4 people 

For comparison we were quoted 22k for 5 on the Enchanted for the Sky Suite.  And that comes with two master bedrooms, a large living room, real doors for the bedrooms, and a suite experience manager (AKA butler)

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Oof.  20k for the Vista suite is a bit steep.

The living room is a bit narrow and Princess has that silly curtain between the bedroom and the living room, so not the best privacy for 4 people 

For comparison we were quoted 22k for 5 on the Enchanted.  And that comes with two master bedrooms, a large living room, real doors for the bedrooms, and a suite experience manager (AKA butler)

Yeah, I knew it was crazy when we booked it but it's over Thanksgiving and we have young kids in school so we mostly have to cruise when they have breaks between school and sports.

When we booked it, we really wanted to experience Park 19... And we all know how that turned out!

We will make the most of it, but I agree it was overpriced (but the Sanctuary is fully sold out so we're not the only suckers!).

8 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

This is true, however when you consider the benefits of YC, a large majority can be achieved by getting the premier package on princess, regardless of cabin type.

So an interior cabin on Sun + Premier vs YC.. Well the only additional benefit of YC is your own sun deck and a butler. It depends on each person, we never used the butler and the sun deck is nice but it’s a sun deck.

Premier takes care of dining (unlimited speciality vs YC restaurant, id argue speciality is better), it takes care of reserved seating in theatres, it has the unlimited drinks, the wifi, room service etc.

Its interesting - I do enjoy YC but for me I have to go YC on an MSC ship, whereas I don’t have to go suite class on other ships because they offer far more in these lesser packages than MSC do.

3 hours ago, Matt97 said:

This is true, however when you consider the benefits of YC, a large majority can be achieved by getting the premier package on princess, regardless of cabin type.

So an interior cabin on Sun + Premier vs YC.. Well the only additional benefit of YC is your own sun deck and a butler. It depends on each person, we never used the butler and the sun deck is nice but it’s a sun deck.

Premier takes care of dining (unlimited speciality vs YC restaurant, id argue speciality is better), it takes care of reserved seating in theatres, it has the unlimited drinks, the wifi, room service etc.

Its interesting - I do enjoy YC but for me I have to go YC on an MSC ship, whereas I don’t have to go suite class on other ships because they offer far more in these lesser packages than MSC do.

I won't contest any of that other than to point out the price difference that I already mentioned. 

You were originally saying you didn't like being nickeled and dimed (being charged for a specialty coffee) and I was simply saying for the money you save in the YC, you can buy an awful lot of coffees and still come out ahead. 

Also, I'm pretty sure Premier doesn't include thermal spa access, which is a lot more expensive than a specialty coffee ($149/person).

With that said, this is a thread about the Sun Princess, so I should be quiet and keep the focus there! 😜 

Can someone clear up a confusion I have with the "Hot Pot" restaurant on the Sun? 

Is there only one restaurant called UMAI TEPPANYAKI/HOT POT or are there 2 individual restaurants or sections within the same area ? 

I was under the assumption that the Teppanyaki restaurant was the Hot Pot restaurant but my wife thinks it's two individual places. She somehow made reservations for the "hot pot" & believes it to be a different restaurant than Teppanyaki.

2 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Same restaurant. The Teppanyaki tables are in the middle and the Hot Pot tables are around the sides. But you make reservations for one or the other. They Teppanyaki have set dinner times as you are eating with other people you don’t know.  Not sure about the Hot Pot rules. 

Thanks.

I'm then to assume that the price and food are the same, the only difference being is the seating location. Is that correct? 

It seems to be unlike any other Princess restaurant setup and has me totally confused.