Skip a Night - Mykonos to Corfu, Greece - NCL Epic Aug

Hello,

I am booked on the NCL Epic in August 2024.

Looking at the schedule, I see that the ship is only in Mykonos for a very short time.

Aug 27 Depart Rome Civitavecchia, Italy

1. Sat Aug 31 Mykonos, Greece 7am to 2pm
  2. Sun Sept 1 Corfu, Greece Noon to 7pm
  3. Sept 6 Arrive Rome Civitavecchia, Italy

I found a flight for approx $100 from Mykonos to Corfu 8:45pm to 11pm.

Could I skip one night in the middle of the cruise and rejoin the ship the next day?  I would leave the bulk of my luggage onboard and only take a small backpack.

Both ports are within Greece. The entire cruise is within Schengen countries I believe.  I am a US / EU Dual Citizen.  Both ship segments would be international Italy > Greece and Greece > Italy.

I understand that if the ship does not stop in Mykonos my flights are worthless and this is my loss.  If so I would just stay on the ship.

Should I tell NCL in advance? Is this likely to be approved?

Asking NCL in advance is unlikely to help as they will almost certainly either say no or to ask onboard.

The problem with plans like this is that it is ultimately up to the ship staff, so you can’t plan in advance of the cruise in case they say no.

If you just go ahead and do it then they will assume that you have missed the ship and will leave all your luggage at the port where you don’t return, and you wont necessarily to be allowed back on again.

You would need to make your request once onboard and if they allow it then you would have to make your arrangements then (unless you are willing to take the risk of booking the flight but maybe not using it).

Just a curious question, but I've heard about that if you miss the ship they leave your luggage at that port. However, I've watched from the balcony as people missed the ship and we sailed away.  We never returned to the port to drop off their luggage though if so they could just get on the ship then.   So I've always wondered how does it get from the cabin to the port after the ship has left?  

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Just a curious question, but I've heard about that if you miss the ship they leave your luggage at that port. However, I've watched from the balcony as people missed the ship and we sailed away.  We never returned to the port to drop off their luggage though if so they could just get on the ship then.   So I've always wondered how does it get from the cabin to the port after the ship has left?  

This hasn’t happened to me, but what I have heard through videos is that there is the agent at the port. The agent will help get you to the next port where you will be back to the ship (and your luggage). 

I don’t see how they could get your luggage to port #1 unless they collected it from your cabin, then offloaded it to a different small boat to get it to the port. 

EDIT: I suppose after “last call” the porters could be sent to your cabin and grab everything at the last minute and offload at the first port??

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations

We almost missed the ship in Korea, maybe 15years ago……our passports were waiting for us at the port security checkpoint. We were cleared, given our passports back and told to dashed to the ship….the crew were pulling the service (loading) gangway from to pier into the ship when they saw us. They let us on, but the officer was not pleased with us. Fortunately for us the ship was late loading supplies by about 15 minutes or they would have packed our stuff up and left it at the next port (China) if we hadn’t made ship. 

We had independently ridden the train from the port to the city…straight shot going from the port but we didn’t realize we had a change coming back to the port and missed the connection so had to backtrack on several trains and that took a lot of time. We still did our own tours after that but always used a private guide if we didn’t speak the language. Just allow plenty of time…more than you think you will need. The ship will sail without you!🫢

both mykonos and Corfu are amazing. the only real excursion i found in the past was taking a ferry from mykonos to delos.this is totally an archeological site (assuming youre into that stuff)

if not, just get of the ship, either walk around the port the port itself, or they offer a brief shuttle to the other side where you can also walk around , shop and/or take pictures.

we did both, sat in a nice cafe on the ordered a greek salad and some drinks.  just be careful, although i do not remember the name of the restaurant in mykonos, it is  noted for ripping of tourist by not giving you the actual prices on their menu.  corfu is very picturesque ,a nd i feel the best excursion is to the top of the mountain where there is a 12th century monastery. a must see .

based on whatever is available , you should have enough time to see the highlights of both islands and be able to get back to the ship for a comfortable sailing from one to the other.

dont waste the extra c-note. by the way, in corfu, we hired a cab  to take us to the monastery and around the island itself. cheaper by far than the ncl shore excursion

7 hours ago, Alatraveler1 said:

Simple answer: they pack your staff and unload it at the first port. There is a time when they decide to leave without you. then they will go to your cabin,pack everything(but NOT in a nice or smooth way !) and bring your luggage to the port agent. Then they leave.

If you do arrive before they handed over your luggage to the port agent you may be lucky and might be let on board.

I called NCL and they said they do not have a way to request this.  I could ask on the ship or just miss the ship - but the supervisor implied they might not let me back on at the next port.  I get the sense they don't really want to be bothered.

I'm still thinking what I should do - I just really don't like the 2pm departure.  My biggest gripe with cruise ships is not enough time in ports.

1 hour ago, theplaz said:

I called NCL and they said they do not have a way to request this.  I could ask on the ship or just miss the ship - but the supervisor implied they might not let me back on at the next port.  I get the sense they don't really want to be bothered.

I'm still thinking what I should do - I just really don't like the 2pm departure.  My biggest gripe with cruise ships is not enough time in ports.

Cruise one of the luxury lines or one of the Greek cruise lines 

2 hours ago, theplaz said:

It sounds like a land-based trip is the practical solution here to me. Europe is remarkably easy to travel in, by land or sea. However as you may know, Greece does not have an international train system (only domestic), so you’d likely have to use buses or flights.

I’ve flown on Aegean before, and have no complaints. I believe there is an Athens to Rome flight. 

1 hour ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

It sounds like a land-based trip is the practical solution here to me. Europe is remarkably easy to travel in, by land or sea. However as you may know, Greece does not have an international train system (only domestic), so you’d likely have to use buses or flights.

I’ve flown on Aegean before, and have no complaints. I believe there is an Athens to Rome flight. 

I do like the rest of the stops and the itinerary overall.  I appreciate the transportation between stops while sleeping.

I just don't like leaving Mykonos at 2pm.  I could see 4pm or ideally 6pm.  But I guess it's a long sail to Corfu.

image.png.4e0d19a38705a9ebe6770d48bc3bf7fb.png

2 minutes ago, theplaz said:

I do like the rest of the stops and the itinerary overall.  I appreciate the transportation between stops while sleeping.

I just don't like leaving Mykonos at 2pm.  I could see 4pm or ideally 6pm.  But I guess it's a long sail to Corfu.

image.png.4e0d19a38705a9ebe6770d48bc3bf7fb.png

You could do a Rome to Greece (or Greece to Rome) type of itinerary, instead of the loop itinerary you have there. A “one way” type of itinerary would allow you to tack on a day or two before or after the cruise, and add time there or elsewhere.

That’s basically what we did on our Epic cruise in November.

So you would risk everything because you "just don't like leaving Mykonos at 2pm?"

Cool. Have at it. Why care what NCL says...lol!

Good luck...

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Update on this:  After making this post, I hadn't decided either way how to move forward.  I was still tempted but wanted to double check everything before booking anything.  I ended up focusing more time planning other stops like a packed day in Napes (Capri, Positano, Pompeii).

On May 2nd, NCL switched the itinerary to skip Corfu (the day after Mykonos - Sunday 9/1/24) and instead sub in OLYMPIA (KATAKOLON), GREECE.  They also extended the stay at Mykonos to 4pm.

I am happy with the swap.  I was struggling to find anything worth doing in Corfu.  I am looking forward to visiting the historic site of Olympia.  I am happy they are doing less sailing so they can leave 2 hours later from Mykonos.  Leaving at 4pm feels like so much more time than 2pm.  (Though I wish no stop left earlier than 6:30pm including Naples).

I am glad I didn't end up booking any non refundable flights and hotels. 

Today I booked a car in Mykonos (with delivery to the port) to be able to bounce around many stops on my own schedule - so should be able to do everything I want.

• Like 1