Cruising without a package

Knickearth

We are taking a cruise shortly and did not buy a package because we have 1250.00 in obc. My question is are we able to purchase Wi-Fi for the day every third or fourth day?  We plan on bringing cell phones but using them in ports.  So onboard would like to check email when we are at sea for several days.  Thanks for the help.

You get a discounted rate if you buy for the duration of the cruise, since you will only be buying for daily 24 hour periods, the per day rate is higher. For the one device plan, you can use multiple devices, only one active at a time, so you can share or switch between phones, tablets, etc.

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

We are taking a cruise shortly and did not buy a package because we have 1250.00 in obc. My question is are we able to purchase Wi-Fi for the day every third or fourth day?  We plan on bringing cell phones but using them in ports.  So onboard would like to check email when we are at sea for several days.  Thanks for the help.

If you have $1250 in OBC, that will buy you both 10 days of PLUS with $50 left over. If you buy it on board, you won't have to pay the 8% for insurance as you would if you ordered it with your cruise fare.  

I find it very difficult to find anything worthwhile to purchase while on the ship.  

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yes, there's a daily a la carte rate. 

FWIW, you can buy the Plus package when you board to use OBC.

That sounds like an awfully expensive way just to get Wi-Fi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I think the real question is how did you end up with 1250$ in OBC and what else could you possibly spend that all on??

Also want to know about the OBC.

Elsewhere, the OP posts of a 15 day Panama Canal next month. If this is the correct sailing, seven ports worth of excursions, gift shopping, a steak dinner, a two week bar tab? It all adds up.

15 minutes ago, 555 said:

That sounds like an awfully expensive way just to get Wi-Fi.

If you consider crew appreciation and just one coffee, bottle of water to take on an excursion and a glass or two of wine at dinner, it might make sense, especially if the OBC is non-refundable 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

If you consider crew appreciation and just one coffee, bottle of water to take on an excursion and a glass or two of wine at dinner, it might make sense, especially if the OBC is non-refundable 

Personally, I put my shareholder credit to use!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

What a great OBC. How did you score that amount? You don't need a package at all. Just pay as you go if you're not a heavy drinker, etc. 

I think it’s more about what you drink than “heavy drinking”. For wine drinkers, Plus is a big money saver. 

My math is as follows 

Plus costs $60/day

Crew Appreciation $16

Cappuccino ($4 + 18%) $5

Water ($2.50 + 18%) $3

Glass of Wine ($15 + 18%) $17

Total 🟰 $41

If the OP feels that would be typical, they can easily see if it makes more sense to pay an extra $19 per day to buy the Plus Package or purchase wi-fi by the day

Edited by Torfamm

4 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I think it’s more about what you drink than “heavy drinking”. For wine drinkers, Plus is a big money saver. 

My math is as follows 

Plus costs $60/day

Crew Appreciation $16

Cappuccino ($4 + 18%) $5

Water ($2.50 + 18%) $3

Glass of Wine ($15 + 18%) $17

Total 🟰 $41

If the OP feels that would be typical, they can easily see if it makes more sense to pay an extra $19 per day to buy the Plus Package or purchase wi-fi by the day

Also if I am not mistaken - canned soft drinks are included plus a couple of exercise classes and 2 casual meals.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Also if I am not mistaken - canned soft drinks are included plus a couple of exercise classes and 2 casual meals.

Yes. and free shipping of medallions as well.  Everyone just needs to consider what they typically spend. Deciding if Plus or Premier are a good value is easy then.

I always think Premier makes good sense for an extra $20 on those short 4 night cruises if you are someone who’d want specialty dining a couple of times anyway. 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, antsp said:

Apologies thinking of a UK booking 

You made a good point. Not sure what in what country the OP lives. I assumed US or Canada. No shipping for anyone else at any price!

7 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I think the real question is how did you end up with 1250$ in OBC and what else could you possibly spend that all on??

Got 1000. For booking the cruise when it was first offered with the change in itinerary.  Another 250. For my stock.  I even have points with the princess visa which I feel I don’t need to use.

We will not be purchasing a package at all.  We don’t drink daily and when we have a glass of wine, we each have 1 glass only.  We don’t do the casual dining, nor the exercise classes.  My last cruise I got to see the special dessert and I am not interested.  The only thing we would do is the standard tipping amount and the obc covers it.  We haven’t booked excursions because this is approx. the 5 th trip thru the canal.

i just wanted to know if during my cruise, on individual days when wanted, I could purchase Wi-Fi.

thanks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The question of whether to buy a package with OBC is the same as the question of whether to buy it without OBC. You may care less about being more efficient with OBC vs your own money but the concept is identical.  Not saying it's the right thing to do or not, I have no idea OP's sailing habits.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

You made a good point. Not sure what in what country the OP lives. I assumed US or Canada. No shipping for anyone else at any price!

The OP's info on each post indicates California.

We will not be purchasing a package at all.  We don’t drink daily and when we have a glass of wine, we each have 1 glass only.  We don’t do the casual dining, nor the exercise classes.  My last cruise I got to see the special dessert and I am not interested.  The only thing we would do is the standard tipping amount and the obc covers it.  We haven’t booked excursions because this is approx. the 5 th trip thru the canal.

i just wanted to know if during my cruise, on individual days when wanted, I could purchase Wi-Fi.

thanks

To answer your question with no add on pushing. Yes you can.

• Like 1

thanks

Clearly, the packages would be of no real value to you, so just purchase wifi on days you want it.  The packages are not for everybody.

• Like 9