Booking agent with NCL

Carnival has their PVPs and we have a good one. Does NCL have the same type of person that you all use exclusively when booking who is very helpful, knowledgeable and available when needed? When booking NCL Ive always just called the number and gotten whoever but would love a single person I could call who knew all the ins outs and specials etc.

• Like 1

NCL calls them Personal Cruise Consultants (PCP).  I am in the tiny minority on these boards and book directly with the cruise line. I have been using the same PCP since 2008.  Ironically I got her cold calling NCL for my first NCL cruise.  She has worked there forever and knows everything.  When I booked my Aqua cruise during Xmas, she was out but actually called me from her house on her day off.  She monitors emails on her days off.  How about that for service.  Any changes or questions I just email her and she responds.

However I think my situation is rare.  Many PCPs are entry level and are new hires that may not understand everything or have remotely the same experience she has.  When I booked Epic in 2010 I cold called and was routed to the NCL call center in Arizona and this person did not know anything.  That is when I came back to my original PCP.   Most vent their frustrations at the PCPs that are not that knowledgeable.  This is why many book with travel agents.  I think I am in the minority who has been working with the same PCP for over 15 years now. 

I suppose its a crap shoot who answers the phone.

31 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I think I am in the minority who has been working with the same PCP for over 15 years now.

I booked my last cruise through my assigned PCC (using one for the first time), 2 weeks later when a friend called her to book the same cruise she had been promoted and was no longer taking bookings directly (though she processed my friend's booking and gave him the same price as I got even though the price had gone up).  I now have a new PCC assigned but I've heard nothing from them so far, either as a final check in to be sure I had things all square for the cruise or as a follow-up to see how the trip was.

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

I booked my last cruise through my assigned PCC (using one for the first time), 2 weeks later when a friend called her to book the same cruise she had been promoted and was no longer taking bookings directly (though she processed my friend's booking and gave him the same price as I got even though the price had gone up).  I now have a new PCC assigned but I've heard nothing from them so far, either as a final check in to be sure I had things all square for the cruise or as a follow-up to see how the trip was.

Thats another good story about the NCL PCC who left their position for a promotion but still was able to book your friend at the same price even though the prices went up.  Perks booking directly with the cruise line are rarely mentioned.

We've used the same PCC for about 5 years and he is wonderful! Before that, we used his predecessor for about the same length of time and he was also great! We've been very happy with ours. He'll call me back on a Sunday and even gave me the name of his brother, who's also a PCC, in case he's ever out of the office! Wish we could recommend him by name but I know that that's not allowed here.

1 hour ago, dltvermont said:

Carnival has their PVPs and we have a good one. Does NCL have the same type of person that you all use exclusively when booking who is very helpful, knowledgeable and available when needed? When booking NCL Ive always just called the number and gotten whoever but would love a single person I could call who knew all the ins outs and specials etc.

I found PCP's were a waste of time. For years we been booking with the cheapest place I have found to book. Our TA handles a bunch of different cruise lines. I always see what the price is with NCL then book with them. Depending on the length of the cruise and where its going we always save $300-$700... sometimes more. A number of times our TA has surprised us with $250 OBC

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Thats another good story about the NCL PCC who left their position for a promotion but still was able to book your friend at the same price even though the prices went up.  Perks booking directly with the cruise line are rarely mentioned.

It wasn't much of a price increase, maybe $100 or so.  I'm not sure if the PCC gave my friend the same 10% Latitudes discount that I used (it was his first cruise).

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Perks booking directly with the cruise line are rarely mentioned.

46 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

My PCC was so annoying that I asked him to stop calling me. Then I asked for “anyone else” to be my PCC. I don’t think I even have an assigned PCC now. I haven’t gotten a call or email in well over a year, and I’m happy with that.

When I called our PCC because the fare on our cruise had gone down, he upgraded our stateroom from a balcony to a club balcony and, if we're taking a short break from cruising, he won't call me & will wait until I call him. I think I have a good one.

• Like 2

PCC's are only good for booking a cruise.

I use a travel agent from an agency in my hometown.  He handles the cruise, flights, hotels, transfer from airport and to the port and travel insurance.  He is part of a larger travel consortium and get a good deal and once awhile a perk or two.  He has also handled any issues that might come up like disruption in airline flight schedules and given me current information BEFORE I knew there was a problem.  In 37 cruises, I would never leave home without his help and advise. 

We have a wonderful PCP that we've used on three of our five bookings. We had no clue about PCP's on our first cruise, then she called my husband after the cruise to say hi. Now, we've even met in NYC and had lunch with her and her wife. We feel we're friends and even though I could book our cruise, we work through the PCP so she gets the all-important commission. 

She has found us coupons before and always makes sure our arrangements are taken care of so we don't have to contact any other departments at NCL. If I could, I'd spread her name all over Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

With my cruise that I booked this summer, booking through NCL was only another $100 or so, from the several places I called around to. It started getting exhausting having them call me continually to try to get me to book, so I just booked with NCL directly. My cruise consultant has been spectacular so far.

I use a PCC, it's hit or miss. Had a really good one, really went to bat for me on a couple of things, she got promoted. She "transferred" me to a co-worker, he was terrible and I asked for someone else. Very good, but took another job. And so on, I'm on # 5 or 6 now.

A few things I've learned about working with a PCC. They get credit for any cruise they book - meaning they processed the initial payment. I don't believe they work on commission but do have sales quotas for example. So I usually do a mock booking, then call (or they call me) to finalize the reservation.

A big hiccup I've found is that existing reservations do not transfer to a new PCC - and PCCs are somewhat limited to how many "other people's" reservations they can work on before they are subject to audit - no poaching allowed. Also, if you book onboard a ship, the credit for that booking goes to the PCC that booked the cruise you're on - no way around it, I tried! 

During the last Triple-Up promo, there were multiple reports that TA's could not add a 3rd CNC to reservations - the promo did say (as it always did) "new reservations". But if you were booked through NCL you could add a 3rd CNC no problem, assuming your reservation was eligible.

Recently I called the general NCL number, on a weekend, to process a price drop and they couldn't get it processed. This was using 2 different reps + a supervisor! The issue was that I had a points upgrade, meaning they have to use the original cabin category for pricing, not the upgraded cabin. And yes, I've done it many times before, never any issues. My PCC, who had actually just booked the cruise for me, was able to take care of it no problem.

The bottom line is that your mileage is going to vary no matter who you use.

• Thanks 1

We have had a great PCC for the last few years. He has a direct line with voicemail. If he doesn't answer immediately (calling my be name), he will return the call within a few minutes.

His name is...oh, wait. Never mind.

Lately we have booked using a TA who gives perks the PCC can't. Her name is...oh, wait (again). Never mind (again).

I had a good one when I first booked and she was attentive, but the last several times that I emailed her informing her that the price of the cruise we are on has decreased, she never acknowledged my emails.  I have been calling the NCL number directly to receive the price decrease. 

Assignment of a PCC is very random.. I usually call the main phone number and have had various PCCs reach out to me over the years, only the most recent has actually hung around long enough for me to use more than once. 
of course she has an Irish name (both first and second names) but is American and doesn’t pronounce it correctly so I have to remind myself that Ciara says Sierra instead of keer-ah. Thankfully she works Irish hours which is a first for an English speaking PCC I’ve been assigned.

I use her for my payments on the cruises and to select my cabin since the ncl website doesn’t work consistently. I normally book my accommodation and flights myself but will check with a local TA to see if they can get a better deal. My mother is considering joining me on my next cruise so I’ll definitely use a TA for her bookings. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Retired23- said:

I had a good one when I first booked and she was attentive, but the last several times that I emailed her informing her that the price of the cruise we are on has decreased, she never acknowledged my emails.  I have been calling the NCL number directly to receive the price decrease. 

Try calling you PCC - NCL doesn't bother to tell anyone if the rep has left. If you get through to the PCC, let them know that you've been emailing.  If your call goes to the "next rep" you'll know that your PCC has left the building.

Edited by julig22

14 hours ago, eileeshb said:

of course she has an Irish name (both first and second names) but is American and doesn’t pronounce it correctly so I have to remind myself that Ciara says Sierra instead of keer-ah. Thankfully she works Irish hours which is a first for an English speaking PCC I’ve been assigned.

So interesting! Thanks for the pronunciation lesson. I always thought Ciara was pronounced like Tiara. I guess that would be t-are-ah? Keira would be keer-ah to me. Ahh, gotta love all the variations in the English language, eh?

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

So interesting! Thanks for the pronunciation lesson. I always thought Ciara was pronounced like Tiara. I guess that would be t-are-ah? Keira would be keer-ah to me. Ahh, gotta love all the variations in the English language, eh?

That’s because Ciara isn’t English. It’s Irish Gaelic.

• Thanks 1

Why book with NCL when you can get so much more from the right TA?

For years, we booked directly with NCL.  Then we met a fellow passenger on the Gem who was also a TA.  He said he gives back part of his commission to clients booking through him.  First we heard of this practice and didn’t believe/thought there was a catch somewhere, so continued to book through NCL.  Our last NCL cruise consultant was so bad, in desperation we switched to the TA from the Gem.

Now we’re kicking ourselves we didn’t switch sooner.   He works for a large agency that specializes in cruising.  Not only do we get back $$$ from him after final payment, he’s also been able to give us other perks like extending specialty dining to guests 3 and 4 in our 2-bedroom suite, resolves issues that may arise with NCL, and is always available - even on weekends. We ❤️♥️💕 him.  

3 minutes ago, PatJim said:

Why book with NCL when you can get so much more from the right TA?

For years, we booked directly with NCL.  Then we met a fellow passenger on the Gem who was also a TA.  He said he gives back part of his commission to clients booking through him.  First we heard of this practice and didn’t believe/thought there was a catch somewhere, so continued to book through NCL.  Our last NCL cruise consultant was so bad, in desperation we switched to the TA from the Gem.

Now we’re kicking ourselves we didn’t switch sooner.   He works for a large agency that specializes in cruising.  Not only do we get back $$$ from him after final payment, he’s also been able to give us other perks like extending specialty dining to guests 3 and 4 in our 2-bedroom suite, resolves issues that may arise with NCL, and is always available - even on weekends. We ❤️♥️💕 him.  

And, you will have numerous posters claim that TA do not give discounts or good service.

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, you will have numerous posters claim that TA do not give discounts or good service.

Since you know otherwise, I don't see why those posters bother you so much.