Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Constellation for a Med cruise?

So many options in the Med it's overwhelming. We have it narrowed down to the following sailings in June 2025:

Celebrity Equinox

9 nt Italian Riveria & France

depart Rome (Civitavecchia) at 5p

Naples, Italy 7a-5p

at sea

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy arrive at 7 am

*overnight in Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) and depart at 7p

Portofino, Italy 7a-6p

Cannes, France 7a-7p

Provence (Marseille), France 8a-6p

at sea

disembark in Barcelona, Spain 5a

**OR**

Celebrity Constellation

10 night Best of Italy & Croatia

depart Rome (Civitavecchia) at 5p

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy 7a-7p

Portofino, Italy 7a-7p

at sea

Naples, Italy 7a-6p

Sicily (Messina), Italy 7a-4p

Brindisi, Italy 10a-7p

Kotor, Montenegro 8a-6p

Dubrovnik, Croatia 8a-6p

Split, Croatia 7a-4p

disembark in Ravenna, Italy 5a

Cost wise, Constellation itinerary is $747 more, but also one day longer. Both sailings were quoted by our travel agent and are for a standard veranda cabin. We for sure want to spend 4-5 days in Rome either before/after the cruise, and another short stay either somewhere else in Italy if sailing on Constellation (have been to Venice before), or in Barcelona if sailing on Equinox.

Which would you choose, and WHY?

If you haven't already, I would post this on the Celebrity board where it will be seen by many more people who can compare the two ships.

As for itineraries, more time on a cruise is better to me.  I also lived in Italy for 5 years and have visited the ports except Split either by ship or land.  I like the Constellation's itinerary better. I would start with at least 4 days in Rome if you've never been there before. When disembarking in Ravenna and not wanting to go to Venice post cruise, I would think about Bologna and the surrounding region for great food (Reggio Emilia, Parma, Modena, etc.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Capriccio. Additionally, I've actually sailed a very similar itinerary on Constellation and enjoyed it very much. It's a slightly smaller ship, so doesn't have quite as many onboard bells and whistles but on an intensive itinerary it offers plenty to do. And it just has a very companionable, cozy feel.

• Like 1

I would pick the Constellation's itinerary as it is more interesting to me. There are more port days so I don't need the latest and greatest on the ship as I am going to spend the limited sea days relaxing in a chair watching the sea go by.

I haven't been on either of these specific ships, but have been on several others within both classes.

The S-class ships like Equinox have more and better specialty dining, the Lawn Club area, plus the Equinox has the Hot Glass Studio. The buffet area is set up in stations which seems to help with traffic flow. The layout of the Persian Garden is much nicer with the heated loungers facing windows looking out over the ocean, instead of in an inside space on the M class. It also has 2 aft-facing bars, so if you like sitting and watching the wake with a drink, the S class might be for you.

The M-class like Constellation has fewer passengers. I like that the pool is on the same level as the buffet- makes it easier for me on sea days. I love the martini bar on the M-class- somehow never as crowded as the one on the S-class, even while the S-class one is larger.

Constellation is scheduled for drydock in Spring 2024, but is over 20 years old (built 2002). Equinox is also scheduled for drydock in Spring 2024 and was built in 2009, so 7 years newer.

• Thanks 1

I love the Solstice Class (Equinox) ships and looking at just ships alone, I would pick Equinox.  However, I think the second itinerary is far superior.  Constellation is older but still a really nice ship design, so I recommend the second option.  

• Like 1

I am doing a very similar Itinerary this May on Constellation. 11 nights. The extra day being a sea day at the end.

I will report my findings in about 2 months time. probably too late for you then.

I have been on Reflection, Edge and Beyond, so am curious as to how I will find the smaller ship.

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

I am doing a very similar Itinerary this May on Constellation. 11 nights. The extra day being a sea day at the end.

I will report my findings in about 2 months time. probably too late for you then.

I have been on Reflection, Edge and Beyond, so am curious as to how I will find the smaller ship.

I will look forward to your review! Truthfully, I don't think we can go wrong either way. We've been on Equinox before but it's been over 10 years. We enjoyed it a lot. It was our first Celebrity cruise and we've wanted to sail with them again ever since.

• Like 1

Four of us (in two partially obstructed balcony cabins) were on the Equinox this past January.  We were told the ship would be going to be refurbished etc probably in April.  I don't know for how long she will be out of commission.  However, the other couple with us was very upset about the paucity of outlets in the Equinox as they use laptops, kindles, etc  and they both like to read them in bed. Apparently the outlets were not convenient  for that purpose   (Eventually the staff found them an extension cord). Also, we found our cabins had very little drawer space compared to other Celebrity ships we have sailed. 

FYI...these were minor issues to us, but major ones for the other couple.  I will say we don't recall any of those issues on the Constellation.

• Thanks 1