New essential cruises, voyage only fare.

fudge

I have just had a mail from Silversea advertising voyage only fares. No flights, no transfers or excursions, for those who wish to make their own arrangements. 

20 minutes ago, fudge said:

I have just had a mail from Silversea advertising voyage only fares. No flights, no transfers or excursions, for those who wish to make their own arrangements. 

Yes, but those fares are 100% non refundable, and they used this change for massive price increase. D2D and P2P increased by 20-30%, and the new Essential fares are now similar to previous P2P fares, but without excursions and non refundable. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, but those fares are 100% non refundable, and they used this change for massive price increase. D2D and P2P increased by 20-30%, and the new Essential fares are now similar to previous P2P fares, but without excursions and non refundable. 

So you actually think that changes to the fare structure, or anything else that Silversea does (e.g. Nova photo opp), are for the benefit of passengers?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I hope my cruise isn't cancelled because I'm not willing to pay a 20 to 30% increase.  I would like to try Regent if I can find a good deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

So you actually think that changes to the fare structure, or anything else that Silversea does (e.g. Nova photo opp), are for the benefit of passengers?

It depends.

The Nova photo opp was a disaster, there is no argument here.

Introduction of a new fare that doesn't include excursions is a positive because many people prefer to book their own excursions. However, since those fares are 100% non refundable, they have to be discounted (like previous P2P pre paid) - but in reality, not only they are not discounted, they are actually similar to previous P2P pricing, but now without excursions and 100% non refundable.

The devil is in details. The intention was good (maybe), the implementation terrible. But of course everything they do, the main goal is to benefit their bottom line. No different than any other business.

Looks like our upcoming SS cruise in May will be our last one.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

It depends.

The Nova photo opp was a disaster, there is no argument here.

Introduction of a new fare that doesn't include excursions is a positive because many people prefer to book their own excursions. However, since those fares are 100% non refundable, they have to be discounted (like previous P2P pre paid) - but in reality, not only they are not discounted, they are actually similar to previous P2P pricing, but now without excursions and 100% non refundable.

The devil is in details. The intention was good (maybe), the implementation terrible. But of course everything they do, the main goal is to benefit their bottom line. No different than any other business.

Looks like our upcoming SS cruise in May will be our last one.

The best companies manage to benefit their bottom line while also delighting customers.  This style of management does not appear to be in the SS and RCCL playbooks. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

The best companies manage to benefit their bottom line while also delighting customers.  This style of management does not appear to be in the SS and RCCL playbooks. 

Agree. But there are currently many complaints across most lines. Carnival is destroying SB, and NCL is destroying Regent and Oceania, etc.

At the end of the day, we look at value for money and try to separate the management style/decisions from on board experience, otherwise we would be staying at home and stop cruising. Based on our 2 cruises with SS, they still offer excellent on board experience, but with the new pricing, it just doesn't make sense to book them. To me, they are not 50-60% better than O, so I'm not willing to pay 50-60% more.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Agree. But there are currently many complaints across most lines. Carnival is destroying SB, and NCL is destroying Regent and Oceania, etc.

At the end of the day, we look at value for money and try to separate the management style/decisions from on board experience, otherwise we would be staying at home and stop cruising. Based on our 2 cruises with SS, they still offer excellent on board experience, but with the new pricing, it just doesn't make sense to book them. To me, they are not 50-60% better than O, so I'm not willing to pay 50-60% more.

I support your strategy, and it is one I have pursued for many years (as per the diversity of cruise lines in my signature). The smarter cruise executives know when they have gone too far with cutbacks or price increases, and somtimes try to win back customers with better value propositions. New cruise lines hungry to acquire passengers may also begin with more attractive value propositions. As a cruise arbitrager, I look for these better offers and vote with my wallet. I no longer have a favourite cruise line and won't until someone earns my loyalty.

• Like 7

Recent experience (last 12 months) of both SS & Regent suggest that they are both struggling to provide previous levels of service quality and restaurant standards tbh.

However, it is in the corporate admin and management that things have taken a serious nosedive in both cases!

My assessment, based upon those recent experiences and numerous telephone conversations with UK based office staff is rather gloomy. It appears that there are many people who seem to accept declining standards and put it down to Covid, “the lines are doing their best” etc & similar sorts of excuses. Reality is that plenty of customers will simply put up with whatever cruise companies do because they love cruising. So do I, but I’m not prepared to pay 6 star prices for 3 or 4 star standards. There are far higher standards of service and cuisine for far less expense to be had all over the world.

Cruise lines are relying on loyalty from a declining number of past customers whilst trying to attract a new clientele that will be happy with what’s on offer. Interesting times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pies4u said:

Cruise lines are relying on loyalty from a declining number of past customers whilst trying to attract a new clientele that will be happy with what’s on offer. Interesting times.

This, is what I am seeing across lines.  

33 minutes ago, Pies4u said:

Recent experience (last 12 months) of both SS & Regent suggest that they are both struggling to provide previous levels of service quality and restaurant standards tbh.

However, it is in the corporate admin and management that things have taken a serious nosedive in both cases!

My assessment, based upon those recent experiences and numerous telephone conversations with UK based office staff is rather gloomy. It appears that there are many people who seem to accept declining standards and put it down to Covid, “the lines are doing their best” etc & similar sorts of excuses. Reality is that plenty of customers will simply put up with whatever cruise companies do because they love cruising. So do I, but I’m not prepared to pay 6 star prices for 3 or 4 star standards. There are far higher standards of service and cuisine for far less expense to be had all over the world.

Good observation. Once upon a time I dismissed land vacations as an inferior experience/value to cruising. But the last few years I have discovered it is not always the case. This means I am becoming more discerning and price conscious when choosing future vacations.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fudge said:

I received the same email earlier today as well.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Looks to me like the "Essential" fares so far are only on cruises a few (0-5) months out.

Yes, this fare bucket is supposedly intended to fill cabins close to the sailing date. Unfortunately, only 2 voyages out of 67 listed in this category have a lower single supplement.  That's a real shame; I would have booked at least one of these voyages but am not willing to pay 100% single supplement. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Yes, this fare bucket is supposedly intended to fill cabins close to the sailing date. Unfortunately, only 2 voyages out of 67 listed in this category have a lower single supplement.  That's a real shame; I would have booked at least one of these voyages but am not willing to pay 100% single supplement. 

Did you contact your TA that doesn't seem logical? 

6 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Did you contact your TA that doesn't seem logical? 

No. Silversea has really cut back on the number of voyages in any fare category available with a low single supplement. The RCL revenue management team doesn't seem to understand that's another tool they can use to fill close-in sailings. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

No. Silversea has really cut back on the number of voyages in any fare category available with a low single supplement. The RCL revenue management team doesn't seem to understand that's another tool they can use to fill close-in sailings. 

I’m with you DVD, I’m quite happy to pay whatever I need to for whatever I want but if I feel I’m being fleeced I’ll take my business elsewhere sharpish. I’m very limited on my time off and can only take time holidays in January. The last 3 years there hasn’t been a single cruise on SS that has been of any interest to me at all that’s been less than 100% supplement. Next January is the same. With these policies, price hikes, poor service, PR stunts etc, I’m starting to think I’ve already enjoyed my last SS cruise. They just seem to be on self destruct right now which saddens me enormously. 

• Like 15

I suppose it's not surprising that once SS was sucked into the mothership that changes would come along. I'd expected some sort of alignment with the new company's core values - ie fleece the customer to the last cent - what has surprised me is the slow dribble of nicks and cuts and tweaks that are slowly transforming SS into a very expensive mainstream line. 

SS is now, seemingly, a branding exercise rather than a unique product. 

It's so sad. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I'm thinking under this pricing structure the essentials with low single supplement are the way to go for me. Although I'm bummed about the price increases, and wish I had locked in one or two future cruises, I think essentials should work for me since I'd sort of prefer to be on my own for excursions.

That said - I can't seem to find a way to search for both things. Have you found a way on the website?

18 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I’m with you DVD, I’m quite happy to pay whatever I need to for whatever I want but if I feel I’m being fleeced I’ll take my business elsewhere sharpish. I’m very limited on my time off and can only take time holidays in January. The last 3 years there hasn’t been a single cruise on SS that has been of any interest to me at all that’s been less than 100% supplement. Next January is the same. With these policies, price hikes, poor service, PR stunts etc, I’m starting to think I’ve already enjoyed my last SS cruise. They just seem to be on self destruct right now which saddens me enormously. 

Agree 100%, our days with SS are probably over.We have a Seaboun trip booked in July we will see how that goes.Last year we took a land trip to Australlia it was wonderful, thinking we will start doing more of those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irvington said:

I'm thinking under this pricing structure the essentials with low single supplement are the way to go for me. Although I'm bummed about the price increases, and wish I had locked in one or two future cruises, I think essentials should work for me since I'd sort of prefer to be on my own for excursions.

That said - I can't seem to find a way to search for both things. Have you found a way on the website?

Yes. On the main page there is a section describing the new Essential fares. Click the button "Discover More" and it pulls up all Essential Eligible cruise.  Then go to the Offers Box and select Special Singles Fares from the dropdown.    That will show you which voyages are eligible for both. Unfortunately, there is now only 1 cruise listed that qualifies for both. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Capri73 said:

Agree 100%, our days with SS are probably over.We have a Seaboun trip booked in July we will see how that goes.Last year we took a land trip to Australlia it was wonderful, thinking we will start doing more of those.

Good thinking. The only way SS will adjust their pricing and value proposition is if enough people stop booking with them. However, if we all

continue to book future cruises regardless of the situation, nothing will change.

• Like 4

On 3/19/2024 at 4:54 PM, Dolcevita Diva said:

These essential fares are also not offered on transatlantic crossings.