European tax refund,

Well be traveling to the Netherlands and Belgium.  I thought i saw somewhere that there is a way to get the tax refunded on things you have a receipt for.  Would anyone know if this is correct and how or where to do the documents? Is it at leaving Europe   to return to the US or each country?

Thanks for your input 

5 minutes ago, A_Amom50 said:

Well be traveling to the Netherlands and Belgium.  I thought i saw somewhere that there is a way to get the tax refunded on things you have a receipt for.  Would anyone know if this is correct and how or where to do the documents? Is it at leaving Europe   to return to the US or each country?

Thanks for your input 

Official information here:

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

• Thanks 3

Just know that if the VAT is for something you used or consumed while on the ship or in Europe, you don't get the VAT refunded.  Just for purchases that you take out of the EU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

For what it's worth, I've looked at this topic several times over the years.  What I read from people who actually try to make this work tells me that it's only worth it if you buy something 'big' like an original painting.  So read the info provided by the officials and go for it, knowing that it might be far more trouble than it's worth.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

For what it's worth, I've looked at this topic several times over the years.  What I read from people who actually try to make this work tells me that it's only worth it if you buy something 'big' like an original painting.  So read the info provided by the officials and go for it, knowing that it might be far more trouble than it's worth.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

VAT can be 20% - so if you bought something worth $1,000 you could be talking about claiming a refund of $200.  You have to have receipts to show at your point of departure - and my be expected to show the item to prove you are taking it with you (they do not want a local to escape taxes on something a visitor bought for him).

It is a bit of a hassle at an airport as you fly out - probably not worth it to claim $10 or $20 - but much more of a hassle if you are trying to do it at your ship’s last port of call in Europe.  Certainly not worth it for a small amount.

• Thanks 1

For purchases in EU countries (that includes Belgium & the Netherlands) get itemised receipts which include the outlet's VAT reg number.

You claim for all purchases in all EU countries at your final departure point in the EU, probably your airport to go home. Keep the goods in your hand-luggage and your receipts handy. 

Different countries and often different airports handle it in different ways - if you're lucky you get an immediate refund, if not then there's paperwork to do and wait for weeks to get that refund.

There are minimum amounts in total and for each receipt (but you can combine several smaller purchases as long as they're all from one place & on one receipt.)

It can be a bit of a work-up, so as @navybankerteacher's comment only worthwhile for a goodly sum

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

When we visited UK every couple of years, we bought kids clothes, shoes, etc. No major purchases, but with VAT at 17.5% and now 20%, we got a reasonable refund every visit. Money is better in my pocket than the Governments.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

VAT can be 20% - so if you bought something worth $1,000 you could be talking about claiming a refund of $200.  You have to have receipts to show at your point of departure - and my be expected to show the item to prove you are taking it with you (they do not want a local to escape taxes on something a visitor bought for him).

It is a bit of a hassle at an airport as you fly out - probably not worth it to claim $10 or $20 - but much more of a hassle if you are trying to do it at your ship’s last port of call in Europe.  Certainly not worth it for a small amount.

That is American tax maths but not European tax maths as the selling price in Europe includes taxes.  So not €200 refund but €166.67 (at 20% vat rate).

(I recognise you used dollar sign and mentioned "worth" but having tax inclusive prices does make the calculations slightly different).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That is American tax maths but not European tax maths as the selling price in Europe includes taxes.  So not €200 refund but €166.67 (at 20% vat rate).

(I recognise you used dollar sign and mentioned "worth" but having tax inclusive prices does make the calculations slightly different).

Correct - it was not really “American tax math” - just bad math.  While we were not bright enough to accept the metric system, we can do our arithmetic (when not in a rush to make a point).

• Like 1

My post was not about the bad math, but more about the expectation of refund.  

There are a couple of other elements to consider, such as if you use a 'refund agency' then there will be an fee for the service.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that it is an EU vat refund system and not an European system, therefore the UK does not participate. I mention this as many cruisers will travel home with flights via UK (or cruise ending in UK port).  There will be no factilities for the vat refund at UK airports as it must be done at the final departure point in EU.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

My post was not about the bad math, but more about the expectation of refund.  

There are a couple of other elements to consider, such as if you use a 'refund agency' then there will be an fee for the service.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that it is an EU vat refund system and not an European system, therefore the UK does not participate. I mention this as many cruisers will travel home with flights via UK (or cruise ending in UK port).  There will be no factilities for the vat refund at UK airports as it must be done at the final departure point in EU.

That is a well founded caution.  Most all of our VAT refunds have been submitted at our EU departure airport.  Mrs Ldubs made a purchase in Lugano and got the VAT paperwork from the seller.  She mistakenly thought she would submit the doc's at the Milan airport when we left for home.  She apparently should have had them processed somewhere in Switzerland.