Transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome for excursions

traveluphill

Does anyone have good advice for two, early 60s cruises in excellent health for hassle-free transportation from the pier in Civitavecchia to Vatican City? I found a tour through The Tour Guy I would love to book but that tour does not include pickups or transportation from the pier to the city. We've never been to Rome. Everything I can find on NCL excursions, Viator transfers, etc. either doesn't work regarding timing (we'll either miss the return transfer or it doesn't leave in time in the morning) or is widely expensive for private transportation. Not sure I want to try the train by ourselves our first time to the city. We're on the Norwegian Escape from Barcelona, June 5, 2024. Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, traveluphill said:

Does anyone have good advice for two, early 60s cruises in excellent health for hassle-free transportation from the pier in Civitavecchia to Vatican City? I found a tour through The Tour Guy I would love to book but that tour does not include pickups or transportation from the pier to the city. We've never been to Rome. Everything I can find on NCL excursions, Viator transfers, etc. either doesn't work regarding timing (we'll either miss the return transfer or it doesn't leave in time in the morning) or is widely expensive for private transportation. Not sure I want to try the train by ourselves our first time to the city. We're on the Norwegian Escape from Barcelona, June 5, 2024. Thanks in advance. 

@cruisemom42 has suggest https://sharedshuttle.it

Personally, would contact Rome Cabs for a transport only price and a tour.

In no doubt other CC members will also give advice.

We have taken the train in our sixties; it wasn't exactly hassle free but not bad. I loved the experience of it, actually.  Probably wouldn't now at 78. DH has too much trouble with walking and stairs.

We have used Bob's Limo several times for transportation to and from port.  Despite the name they offer cars as well as Limos and other options.

"Hassle free" means you would need to arrange a private transfer (companies such as Romecabs or Romeinlimo are reliable).  Private can be quite expensive, but it works.  Any other method is going to involve some degree of hassle.  

For those of us not as concerned about "hassles,"  using the trains are a pretty good option.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We have taken the train in our sixties; it wasn't exactly hassle free but not bad. I loved the experience of it, actually.  Probably wouldn't now at 78. DH has too much trouble with walking and stairs.

We have used Bob's Limo several times for transportation to and from port.  Despite the name they offer cars as well as Limos and other options.

the train would require switching to a bus though to get to the vatican (both are prone to pickpockets). i think private transport better in this case, to save time too

1 hour ago, smarterman64 said:

the train would require switching to a bus though to get to the vatican (both are prone to pickpockets). i think private transport better in this case, to save time too

I guess that depends on your perspective and ability to walk.  For folks that enjoy walking, they could take the train to the San Pietro train station and walk (about 15-20 min) to the Vatican.  As to pickpockets, that is an issue throughout much of Europe (especially tourist areas) and wise folks know how to take reasonable precautions to protect their valuables.  

And yes, for those who do not want to take the bus, I think the #34 does the trick.  If one purchases a BIRG ticket (at Civitavecchia) that would cover the round trip regional trains plus all days use of Rome's buses and metro.

We do agree with your warning about pickpockets.  Over a 50 year DIY travel life we have had attempts made (on us) in Bologna, Istanbul, and Arles.  We have also watched folks get nailed in Barcelona and Rome.  Pickpockets tend to go after the "easy marks" and folks that take precautions and are always alert to their surroundings will normally do fine.  Cruisers who we see wearing their cruise cards around their necks and carrying their wallets in front pockets or putting their purses under their chairs just make us shake our heads.  

Hank

• Like 2

I would suggest you try to locate others on your cruise and share a van from CV to Rome - try talking it up on your cruise’s roll call - and then line up the appropriate size van with Romeinlimo or Romecabs.

We have done this several times when boarding ship in CV after several days in Rome.  

Otherwise, you can take your own taxi or, to save money, take the train.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, traveluphill said:

Transportation ( especially trains) are known to go on strike on a whim.  That could put a dent in your plans if that happens. The only tour I have done in Rome was thru the NCL line.  We didn't wait in the long line to enter the Vatican.  Nice ,informative narration  while touring the grounds and the Sistine Chapel ( No pictures allowed inside, or talking).  The NCL tour did give a very short time for shopping in St Peters Square. The NCL excursion may be pricey, but having peace of mind ( a no brainer) is worth it to me.  How often are you going to be Rome?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

carrying their wallets in front pockets or putting their purses under their chairs just make us shake our heads.  

Shake away.  I find money belts to be annoying.  I'm a wallet in the front pocket kind of guy. I've never had a problem, but if I get nailed, I'll be the first to admit I probably should have listened to you🙂

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, smarterman64 said:

Well, we walked from the station to our B&B, which was only a few blocks from the colosseum--with our luggage from a Transatlantic!  It was a hike, but we never felt unsafe.  Wouldn't do it now, (due to my husband's back/leg problems he has developed) but it was an adventure.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Shake away.  I find money belts to be annoying.  I'm a wallet in the front pocket kind of guy. I've never had a problem, but if I get nailed, I'll be the first to admit I probably should have listened to you🙂

I also use front pocket, but than secure the pocket with a large safety pin.

That simple precaution was suggested by a retired US Secret Service agent with whom we once cruised.

Hank

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Transportation ( especially trains) are known to go on strike on a whim.  That could put a dent in your plans if that happens.

The trains don't strike "on a whim". Strikes are announced in advance and are posted on the official site. You just have to look them up. 🙄

I sure wish this trope could get retired. I have visited Italy every save save 2021. (I even managed to squeeze in a visit right before Italy closed down in early 2020....). I've always used the trains to get around and over more than 20 years I've yet to be impacted by a "wildcat" strike.