“Modesty” dress code in Italian/Spanish cathedrals?

Hi there!

First time cruiser to the Mediterranean in a couple weeks. I have chronic illness and “run hot”, and when I get hot it turns into nausea which can turn into worse.

For that reason, I usually wear lightweight airy clothing. We are going to a few cathedrals in port which require: no shorts, no exposed shoulders, no midriff, dresses must fall to mid thigh. 
i will probably wear either a dress or capris , both with sleeveless top part. I have a scarf I picked up , I also have a lightweight but long sleeved cardi, but I’m considering purchasing a chiffon kimono style over shirt. 
however, they are very translucent. Would it still satisfy the requirement of “no exposed shoulders” if their outline can be seen through a light top? 

thank you!

-Tara

While I haven't been to Europe in several years, in Italy (including St. Peter's Basilica) the requirement was only to cover the shoulders and the knees. It didn't matter the type of material. In Vatican City outside St. Peter's there were many vendors selling thin shawls/pashminas for women who came unprepared. A few euros later and they had a solution.

• Like 2

Pick up an inexpensive oversized linen button down shirt.  Lightweight and easy to carry if need be.  I ran around with 2 of them 2 years ago in Italy and France when the temps were over 100F.  I got my first one in France in a little store in Aigues-Mortes (I LOVED that barge cruise) and then picked up another in the San Lorenzo Market in Florence.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Seconding the recommendation for a linen button-down. I don't run hot, but I'm REALLY sensitive to the sun, and my linen button down (worn open or tied at the waist over a camisole + skirt, or over a sundress) saved me a number of times during my last cruise. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, slidergirl said:

Pick up an inexpensive oversized linen button down shirt.  Lightweight and easy to carry if need be.  I ran around with 2 of them 2 years ago in Italy and France when the temps were over 100F.  I got my first one in France in a little store in Aigues-Mortes (I LOVED that barge cruise) and then picked up another in the San Lorenzo Market in Florence.

Are they skirt length or do you wear them with something else?

20 hours ago, clo said:

Are they skirt length or do you wear them with something else?

No - just about hip length like a regular shirt,  Just to put on to cover arms,  I always wear pants or an appropriate length skirt or dress.  if I'm going to visit a church/Vatican Museums or somewhere that has a modesty code.  

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/7/2024 at 1:10 AM, Torfamm said:

Just shared this suggestion with a friend visiting Turkey. It’s extremely affordable, very cool, and covers knees and shoulders. 

https://www.32degrees.com/products/womens-cool-t-shirt-dress

For mosques in Turkey, both men and women are required to dress modestly.  The dress you posted is still too short and your friend will also need to have her arms and head covered.  

55 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

For mosques in Turkey, both men and women are required to dress modestly.  The dress you posted is still too short and your friend will also need to have her arms and head covered.  

Short sleeves have been allowed whenever I’ve visited mosques in Turkey. Knees covered is also long enough for skirts in my experience. Head coverings are always required.

14 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Short sleeves have been allowed whenever I’ve visited mosques in Turkey. Knees covered is also long enough for skirts in my experience. Head coverings are always required.

While I don’t doubt your personal experience, that is not the proper dress code in a mosque.  Women’s arms, shoulders, legs and hair are to be covered in the mosque.

32 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

While I don’t doubt your personal experience, that is not the proper dress code in a mosque.  Women’s arms, shoulders, legs and hair are to be covered in the mosque.

I just double-checked and they ask all visitors to cover knees and shoulders, and women to cover hair. Perhaps they have slightly more relaxed standards for tourists

https://www.bluemosquetickets.com/rules/#

IMG_3809.thumb.jpeg.bcf66ff36be7625887df56d78d2fd77c.jpeg

11 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I just double-checked and they ask all visitors to cover knees and shoulders, and women to cover hair. Perhaps they have slightly more relaxed standards for tourists

https://www.bluemosquetickets.com/rules/#

The verbiage used supports what you said.  I find this somewhat surprising, as the rules for dress in a mosque are very emphatic.  It doesn't matter if one is a tourist or not.  It is a question of respecting a house of worship.  When I was last in the Blue Mosque, women were given wraps to cover below their knees and their arms.  Some tourists were arguing at the door that should be allowed to wear their shoes in the mosque as they had mobility issues for putting them on and taking them off.  For me, this is an issue of respect.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

The verbiage used supports what you said.  I find this somewhat surprising, as the rules for dress in a mosque are very emphatic.  It doesn't matter if one is a tourist or not.  It is a question of respecting a house of worship.  When I was last in the Blue Mosque, women were given wraps to cover below their knees and their arms.  Some tourists were arguing at the door that should be allowed to wear their shoes in the mosque as they had mobility issues for putting them on and taking them off.  For me, this is an issue of respect.   

I was suggesting that while visitors absolutely should respect dress codes and requests for behavior, people who worship in temples, mosques, and churches may have standards for what makes them feel comfortable that go above the minimum requirements for visitors. 

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I was suggesting that while visitors absolutely should respect dress codes and requests for behavior, people who worship in temples, mosques, and churches may have standards for what makes them feel comfortable that go above the minimum requirements for visitors. 

We have different perspectives.  If some tours have skirted dress requirements for temples, mosques, and churches, this doesn’t make it not disrespectful.  In the case of Istanbul and the Blue Mosque, I am Muslim and have prayed in these mosques.  There is one dress requirement for entering any mosque in the world, there is no minimum requirement for visitors.  All are welcome, however, there is a dress requirement.  We can agree to disagree on this. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We have different perspectives.  If some tours have skirted dress requirements for temples, mosques, and churches, this doesn’t make it not disrespectful.  In the case of Istanbul and the Blue Mosque, I am Muslim and have prayed in these mosques.  There is one dress requirement for entering any mosque in the world, there is no minimum requirement for visitors.  All are welcome, however, there is a dress requirement.  We can agree to disagree on this. 

I don't disagree, I agree. Everyone needs to meet at least the minimum dress requirement of the Mosque which they state covering shoulders and knees, as well as hair for women. I absolutely respect your choice to cover your arms and legs completely and can understand it you would like the Blue Mosque to change their requirement. It can be discomforting to see a place of worship also be a tourist attraction.

Edited by Torfamm

6 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I don't disagree, I agree. Everyone needs to meet at least the minimum dress requirement of the Mosque which they state covering shoulders and knees, as well as hair for women. I absolutely respect your choice to cover your arms and legs completely. 

We do disagree.  The “minimum” you refer to is that of a tour, not the requirements of the mosque.  Best wishes. 

16 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

We do disagree.  The “minimum” you refer to is that of a tour, not the requirements of the mosque.  Best wishes. 

I understand the confusion now.  This is the signage that was there in June. The Blue Mosque was not requiring women to fully cover legs and arms. I am sorry you thought I was disagreeing with you. I wasn't sharing an opinion, just sharing their most current dress code. I wish you the best as well.

BlueMosquedresscode.jpg.d3c701f8675793d2770ded546218757e.jpg