74 Latitudes Points - Will NCL bump status?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, UKstages said:

lawd heave mercy.

as is typical around these here parts, a small number of folks are lambasting one poor soul for asking a perfectly innocent question. i find nothing untoward or deceptive or misleading about the OP's interest in having that particular question answered. many, including me, have been there before and wondered how this scenario would be handled.

you seasoned CC folks (and quite a few relative newcomers, as well) have heard variations of this question dozens or hundreds of times. you're tired of hearing it, and, you've learned from experience that some of the people asking it do indeed have ulterior motives. but this is the first time the OP is asking this question and the poster has no prior knowledge of how the question has been answered before. and the OP certainly doesn't expect to be scolded for the behavior of others.

just because somebody else may have been trying to bend rules or get special treatment doesn't mean that the OP is. the OP was simply saying, "hey, what's the deal with turning platinum on my cruise? i'm one point away... how is that handled? i heard they might give it to me. how do i go about getting that done?"

that's a simple request for information about an NCL policy, not an invitation to tear into the poster for what you believe are his horribly misguided evil motivations.

all the hidden intentions and perceptions of policy deviations are coming from the minds of those castigating the OP. there is nothing in the OP's initial post that would indicate that he is trying to pull one over on anybody, especially the readers of this forum.  yes, he is interested in getting the status on the next cruise and not waiting till the completion of the cruise. that's normal, not nefarious. everybody would like that! that's not the way it works, but he had apparently heard that it might work differently, so he was simply asking the kind people (there are still a few left) who participate in this forum for advice.

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

you only think it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck if you are looking for ducks.

many folks here, sadly, are duck hunters.

Well, well...as is typical around these parts someone jumps in and plays their moral superiority card instead of actually addressing the topic.

Sure, many people have been there before and wondered how it would be handled. Not really a valid observation here because:

a)     changing levels has happened to the OP three times (all recently), so they should have multiple personal experiences as to how it is handled

b)     the OP has clearly indicated that the topic of Latitude levels is one engaged in frequently in their cruising experience. Obviously, the OP has had the opportunity to ask this question directly, or perhaps via email to one of the many friends they made while cruising

Might be the first time the OP is asking the question, but is the search feature not working? As you yourself pointed out, the question has been asked "dozens or hundreds of times". Shouldn't be to difficult to find then.

Simple request for information about an NCL policy you say? NCL has this thing called a FAQ that plainly and clearly answers this request. A person is far more likely to find the NCL website than they are the Cruise Critic website, so NCL should be the go-to for policy information. Or...they could have simply asked the travel professional that does their bookings.

And yes, wanting something is normal and not nefarious. However, actively seeking work-arounds and hacks is nefarious and not normal. Not to mention that actively seeking work-arounds and hacks, by definition, means that you already KNOW the policy you are questioning.

And if the OP "heard that it might work differently", don't you think the OP should make the inquiry to that source? Why are we obligated to support what someone might have "heard" from a third-party?

Edited by SeaShark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

just because somebody else may have been trying to bend rules or get special treatment doesn't mean that the OP is

Or he actually is, given the posts available to see before our own eyes. Your verboseness and circumlocution notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Well, well...as is typical around these parts someone jumps in and plays their moral superiority card instead of actually addressing the topic.

Sure, many people have been there before and wondered how it would be handled. Not really a valid observation here because:

a)     changing levels has happened to the OP three times (all recently), so they should have multiple personal experiences as to how it is handled

b)     the OP has clearly indicated that the topic of Latitude levels is one engaged in frequently in their cruising experience. Obviously, the OP has had the opportunity to ask this question directly, or perhaps via email to one of the many friends they made while cruising

Might be the first time the OP is asking the question, but is the search feature not working? As you yourself pointed out, the question has been asked "dozens or hundreds of times". Shouldn't be to difficult to find then.

Simple request for information about an NCL policy you say? NCL has this thing called a FAQ that plainly and clearly answers this request. A person is far more likely to find the NCL website than they are the Cruise Critic website, so NCL should be the go-to for policy information. Or...they could have simply asked the travel professional that does their bookings.

And yes, wanting something is normal and not nefarious. However, actively seeking work-arounds and hacks is nefarious and not normal. Not to mention that actively seeking work-arounds and hacks, by definition, means that you already KNOW the policy you are questioning.

And if the OP "heard that it might work differently", don't you think the OP should make the inquiry to that source? Why are we obligated to support what someone might have "heard" from a third-party?

Good grief you just keep going. I already addressed that my question came as the result of conversations I've had on the ship. That was in my original post. Seeing as that was one experience of one cruiser I encountered I was trying to get a scope for if this is a more normal experience or if said person got lucky. 

1. I've never been 1 point away from an upgraded status before. Thus, this is a bit different from the other status upgrade levels. Most travel companies have some flexibility in their status programs, or ways to earn a point outside of their main methods. It appears now that NCL has one of the more rigid programs.

2. Why are you so invested in this conversation? Don't you have other things to do than to harass me for asking if anyone else has experience with being 1 point away from platinum? I'm a scientist by trade and wanted *gasp* data points so I could *gasp* analyze data. 

3. Genuinely curious why are you looking for status pins to trade. Could it be your up to something nefarious with them? J.K. but what's up with that? Personally I've got 0% interest in the NCL pins... and I collect other types of pins.

Edited by Exuberant
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Exuberant said:

Good grief you just keep going. I already addressed that my question came as the result of conversations I've had on the ship. That was in my original post. Seeing as that was one experience of one cruiser I encountered I was trying to get a scope for if this is a more normal experience or if said person got lucky. 

But, you forgot to just ask others while you were on the ship? Instead of dealing with live data right in front of you, you waited, created an account, and decided to ask strangers instead? Some scientist.

1. I've never been 1 point away from an upgraded status before. Thus, this is a bit different from the other status upgrade levels. Most travel companies have some flexibility in their status programs, or ways to earn a point outside of their main methods. It appears now that NCL has one of the more rigid programs.

Given that Bronze starts at 1 point, your premise is demonstrably false. Besides, why would 1 point matter? As long as your next cruise will be sufficient to grant you a new level, then you are just as close regardless of points.

2. Why are you so invested in this conversation? Don't you have other things to do than to harass me for asking if anyone else has experience with being 1 point away from platinum? I'm a scientist by trade and wanted *gasp* data points so I could *gasp* analyze data. 

Why are you? Sure, I have other things to do, but I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to someone else...YOU are the one addressing me here.

3. Genuinely curious why are you looking for status pins to trade. Could it be your up to something nefarious with them? J.K. but what's up with that? Personally I've got 0% interest in the NCL pins... and I collect other types of pins.

Data point for you: it says SHIP pins, not status pins. Please learn the difference before you try to be clever. I can get that you personally have 0% interest in the NCL pins, but that doesn't mean that I, or other people, feel the same. 

But since you are genuinely curious, NCL released ship pins for 14 of their ships. I have a total of 139 pins in my collection. Rather than spend money to buy them (take a look at what they sell for on eBay), I'd rather offer them for trade with my fellow Cruise Critic members. That way, I can get some pins I'd like to add, and others can fill in their collection as well...without anybody having to pay some eBayer for something we were all given for free.

Edited by SeaShark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2024 at 11:08 AM, Middleager said:

Why is 74 the most painful number of points?  Many people would've loved to have cruised that many nights.

I'd say if you are at 19, 44, 74, 149, 349, and 699 points after finishing a cruise it's the most painful as you are only one point away from the next status.  A so close yet so far away type of thing. It's got nothing to do with being thankful you have cruised that may nights.  You can love the fact that you have cruised that many nights and also be bummed that you are missing the next level by only one point.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimsig said:

I'd say if you are at 19, 44, 74, 149, 349, and 699 points after finishing a cruise it's the most painful as you are only one point away from the next status.  A so close yet so far away type of thing. It's got nothing to do with being thankful you have cruised that may nights.  You can love the fact that you have cruised that many nights and also be bummed that you are missing the next level by only one point.  

I wouldn't feel painful or bummed at all. 

I'd feel glad, and blessed that I have been able to be on cruises, and got those points.  So what if I'm 1 point away from the next level.  There are other things that are painful, certainly not this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimsig said:

5 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I'd feel glad, and blessed that I have been able to be on cruises, and got those points.  So what if I'm 1 point away from the next level.  There are other things that are painful, certainly not this.

I don't disagree with either of you, but consider the fallacy of the OP's "1 point" argument.

At 74 points, the OP is Gold, and with their next cruise being 14 nights, they will become Platinum after the cruise. However, a cruiser who is at 61 points (also Gold) going on the same cruise will also become Platinum at the conclusion of the cruise. 

If you're going to grant special status bumps to one, then you have to grant them to the other as both are going to become Platinum simply by going on the exact same cruise.

Note that this example only considers regular point levels. If someone had booked into the Haven on a Latitudes promo, then they could also make Platinum on the same cruise even if they started with as little as 33 points.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, if you grant someone a bump for being 1 point away, that only makes the person with 73 points say "Hey, what about me? I'm only 1 point away from the guy you bumped!!"

• Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL!  🏆

Congratulations to the newest member of the "Dead Horse Club" to:

"74 Latitudes Points - Should I be granted Platinum?"

Previous honorees:

• "My 15YO Doesn't Eat Much - Can they eat off the child's menu for free?"
  • "My Friend Doesn't Drink Much - Can I buy them drinks on my package?"
  • "My 16YO Is So Quite - She can be on the Haven sun deck, right?"
  • "My Sister is Passenger 3 - Can she use one of my specialty meals?

Others?  

• Haha 3

from personal experience, i believe there really is no rhyme or reason as to how ncl awards latitude points.

last year we were on b2b cruise that started in southampton and ended 19 days later in stockholm.

the breakdown was 10 days 1st segment, 9 days 2nd.  we were sapphire at the time. when we got home, i checked and we had been awarded 95 points (or 5 per night) and instantly became diamond. so if that was my 1st cruise, at the end, i guess i would have automatically gotten to platinum status. by the way, we were in a 2 bedroom.  i expected 38 points after cruise, but since we got 95, im certainly not going to complain.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

She's quite what?

Quite cute? Quite a handful? Quite adept at locating cookies and hash browns? 

Okay, I'll be quite/quiet now. 😁

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

And we must not forget: My differently aged kids (who are usually apart as they are in different grades in school) can't go to the kid's club unless they are put in the same group

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

She's quite what?

Quite cute? Quite a handful? Quite adept at locating cookies and hash browns? 

Okay, I'll be quite/quiet now. 😁

Oops...well..."Quite a handful" is really how most of us will think when we meet her!   But dear mom and dad have NEVER seen her act that way before.

22 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Oops...well..."Quite a handful" is really how most of us will think when we meet her!   But dear mom and dad have NEVER seen her act that way before.

Sure...Mom and Dad always think that way, but has the child ever been tested?

image.jpeg.7026397d1c2a809f0561b9ce3ec5755f.jpeg

• Haha 2

distinctive. while i see the analogy, it's really not appropriate. by the way, i think most people that are serving such small amounts of time will usually get their sentences reduced for good behavior.

by the way, ncl is very inflexible when it comes to their rules, haven guests, shared drinks, suite restaurants, kids club and latitude points.

still, while getting a negative answer from just about everyone, it didnt hurt to ask

5 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

IT'S OFFICIAL!  🏆

Previous honorees:

Others?  

Love it

3 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

Quite drunk, due to sharing her auntie's drink package :classic_blush:

• Haha 1

I agree, there are always exceptions to the rule, and NCL themselves occasionally apply these exceptions without a prompt from the passenger. Personally having some status on a variety of lines, some perks are nice and some are just marketing and most are not worth chasing with hard earned money.We just cruise as we want for the itinerary and the accumulated status on a line is occasionally providing an added benefit.

11 hours ago, Middleager said:

I had this problem after completing a 16 day TA in December, 2023. That got me to 74 points. I have a 21 day Panama Canal cruise coming up April, 2024. What to do???

I fixed that problem. Booked a 7 day Caribbean cruise in February, 2024. BINGO! Problem no more!! 

13 hours ago, JandC_Cruising said:

IT'S OFFICIAL!  🏆

Previous honorees:

Others?  

Oooh, I want to play!!

* I know we aren’t allowed to smoke on our balconies, but is vaping ok?

* I cannot go a few days without taking drugs, would I get in trouble if I sneaked some onboard?

* I know the vibe is for paying guests only, but can I sneak in? Would they catch me?

* I want to take a private excursion, Isn’t the ship required to wait for me if I’m running late?

* I want a lobster tail at dinner, but I don’t want to pay extra, how much will I have to bully the waiters to get it for free?

* I know Spice H2O is for adults only, but my 6 year old just wants to play legos in the hot tub while mommy gets her drink on!  Do you think they’ll let him in? #winemom

*I know <insert contraband item> isn’t allowed, has anyone managed to sneak one on board and can tell how to did it?

* do I really need a passport to travel to a foreign country?  Can’t I just tell the captain to “be cool bro” if I bring a utility bill instead?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3