Cheers and Norfolk - 2nd day start

2 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Carnival is *** the only line to limit the number of alcoholic beverages per day.

Princess limits the number of alcoholic beverages to 15 per day [6:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.).  

22 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

There is no Texas law preventing Carnival from selling Cheers on Day 1. Princess does it. It just starts after sail away. Carnival uses it as an excuse to make people pay for individual drinks the first day and lies to you about it.

Forgot to mention if you have the package on Princess out of Galveston they also give you onboard credit to cover a couple drinks in port. I think it was $23.

2 hours ago, JMAE said:

I wonder if this will change once the pier is constructed.... 

Even with a pier at HMC or Princess Cays, ultimately it is still not Carnival Cruise Line's island. I'm not sure how interoperable any point-of-sale hardware would be between Carnival, Princess, Holland America, and possibly even Costa and AIDA.

Princess at least has setup Medallion Pay with select merchants ashore in Alaska, Mexico, and the Carribean, so in theory this should be possible. 

27 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Even with a pier at HMC or Princess Cays, ultimately it is still not Carnival Cruise Line's island. I'm not sure how interoperable any point-of-sale hardware would be between Carnival, Princess, Holland America, and possibly even Costa and AIDA.

Princess at least has setup Medallion Pay with select merchants ashore in Alaska, Mexico, and the Carribean, so in theory this should be possible. 

Since they are all parts of CCLs brands, I assume programmers could develop an IT connectivity solution that could work across all of CCLs brands. 

42 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

why would the pier have an impact?

Easier to run cables for data. Long-distance wireless communications aren't always a given, especially for places that aren't actually a separate island like Celebration Key or Princess Cays.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sgwscruiser said:

This is the case with carnival also. Very limited Brands available.  Almost all of these are Bar Pour Brands that most people have never heard of.  I think People that purchase Cheers would be upset about not being able to get the brands they want so Carnival states that Cheers does not start till day 2 of the cruise 

This hasn’t been my experience when sailing on Carnival out of Galveston.  There certainly is a limited selection of brands until the ship is out of Texas waters, but they are popular brands.  For example, on our last cruise there was one gin selection available - Beefeater.  It was similar for other spirits.  Once the ship leaves Texas waters they close the bars briefly wile they put away the bottles they paid Texas tax on and put out their regular stock.

I agree, though, that the limited selection may be part of the reason Carnival chooses to not offer Cheers on day 1.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:47 PM, Saint Greg said:

There is no Texas law preventing Carnival from selling Cheers on Day 1. Princess does it. It just starts after sail away. Carnival uses it as an excuse to make people pay for individual drinks the first day and lies to you about it.

I don't think Carnival lies about it, they simply say it's unavailable.  That itself is not a lie.

Texas and the TABC most certainly have laws regarding alcohol sales and consumption, but I won't claim to fully understand them.  I do believe it has something to do with the Texas permit to sell alcohol, which does have some weird regulations.  For whatever reason, Carnival feels it is better to just not purchase the permit for Texas.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I don't think Carnival lies about it, they simply say it's unavailable.  That itself is not a lie.

Texas and the TABC most certainly have laws regarding alcohol sales and consumption, but I won't claim to fully understand them.  I do believe it has something to do with the Texas permit to sell alcohol, which does have some weird regulations.  For whatever reason, Carnival feels it is better to just not purchase the permit for Texas.

They do lie. John Heald specifically says they can’t have cheers day 1 because of Texas laws. That’s a lie. Other lines do it. Carnival chooses not to.

Of course they have their reasons. It’s better for their bottom line to buy less alcohol in Texas and make you pay full price for every drink your first day on the ship.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1