Holiday Sur Charge?

We arrived on Good Friday into Sydney. Just wondering what the "Holiday Surcharge" is. Does this go to the workers that have to work the holiday? Boarding today Easter Sunday.

Hi, it goes to the business owner to help them pay their workers penalty rates for working on a public holiday. I'm not sure if Aus is exactly the same as NZ in this regard, but in NZ if you work on a statutory holiday day, in addition to penalty rates for the time worked, you also get a day off in lieu of the holiday day that you worked, so it can be very advantageous for the workers.

Enjoy your cruise 🛳 🥳

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

Hi, it goes to the business owner to help them pay their workers penalty rates for working on a public holiday. I'm not sure if Aus is exactly the same as NZ in this regard, but in NZ if you work on a statutory holiday day, in addition to penalty rates for the time worked, you also get a day off in lieu of the holiday day that you worked, so it can be very advantageous for the workers.

Enjoy your cruise 🛳 🥳

It depends on your award or enterprise agreement - it may include an extra day off or it may be added to your annual leave but does include holiday pay rates which on a public holiday are double I think. 

• Like 2

Good Friday is a designated public holiday in Australia, and most people that are required to work are paid penalty rates of 2X or 2.5X their normal hourly rate. While indirect, the surcharge is paying for the increased wages to staff. A lot of shops and restaurants that would otherwise be open will be closed for the religious holiday.

The same will apply for today for Easter Sunday and tomorrow for Easter Monday. Accommodation will already be set by whatever your room rate is, but it would be an expensive weekend to be dining out in Australia.

Enjoy your cruise. Great there are no public holiday surcharges on Majestic Princess.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The same will apply for today for Easter Sunday and tomorrow for Easter Monday. 

There's an anomaly in NZ as regards Easter Sunday, it was never a statutory holiday as such so penal rates plus a day in lieu don't apply to the Sunday, only Easter Monday and Good Friday.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jean C said:

There's an anomaly in NZ as regards Easter Sunday, it was never a statutory holiday as such so penal rates plus a day in lieu don't apply to the Sunday, only Easter Monday and Good Friday.

There are anomalies here too. It depends on the award here. Lots of stores, including supermarkets, close here for the day for a statutory holiday. Some that are open will pay the same rates as for a Sunday, some will pay x2.5.

Personally, I would only be paid Sunday (x2) rates for today too. That is because our award traditionally catered for a 6 day working week where Easter Sunday was never considered, and Easter Sunday is not a public holiday for us. Those who I work with that are forced to work today on a 7 day x 12hr roster will receive Sunday rates. However, I worked yesterday by choice, and was paid x2.5 for Easter Saturday.  This was traditionally a public holiday in our award, and continues on in our enterprise.

• Like 2

Yep, it is wise to know if there is a public holiday being observed before deciding where to eat out. A takeaway or fast food place would generally not incur the higher prices while any diner, Cafe or restaurant would.