Live from Beyond - Day 1 - April 1, 2024

We will be onboard Beyond on the next sailing. If you do not mind, could you ask Guest Relations how to add gift cards to a booking. Do we bring them to Guest Relations when we board? Can we add them to our booking before boarding? I have not been able to find this answer.This is for onboard spending not fares.  

thanks so much!!

10 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Not yet.  A butler finally came by and left his card. Hubby is planning to ask tomorrow 🤞. In 2022 we didn’t have a lounger at first but our butler got us one.  I am not to sure this time that we can accomplish the goal.  

Mind sharing the name of your butler? We're on the Beyond in a couple of weeks in a SS so just curious.

Day 3 on Beyond / Grand Cayman

I see a few questions that I cannot readily answer but I will try and get them.

1) For the person who asked about giftcards, I really recommend calling Celebrity directly.  I think there are different kinds of giftcards, each with their own terms and conditions, and possibly a cap on amount for the cabin.  They most likely need to be applied to the cabin by them pre-cruise anyway.   
2) For type of champagne - I will have to find out.  My husband can no longer drink alcohol so I haven’t seen a list.

3) Alejandro is not the cruise director.  It’s a woman and I cannot recall her name.  We have only seen her one time so far and its not in the daily planner.   
4) For the butler, I would prefer not to give a name because I don’t want to get someone in trouble based on below comments.

On to todays comments….

we have had a rough time with butler service.  The butler did finally leave his card, and some truffles, but by day 3 afternoon, we still had not seen him personally.  My husband tried to call him twice and no answer.   Hubby is not the type to get upset about anything ever, but he finally got so upset he stomped into the Retreat Lounge.   I don’t know exactly what was said but he told me they were sending the butler to the cabin.  He waited in the cabin for 90 minutes before swearing and saying they are useless and Celebrity should get rid of butlers entirely and lower the price.   Note when we booked butlers were supposed to be “dedicated”. Now we can’t even get a call answered.  After 90 minutes we left for dinner.  The butler actually tracked us down at Eden to apologize.   According to the butler, he has 21 cabins, had been in our cabin a lot and just hadn’t seen us.  I have a counterargument to that but whatever.   Starting tomorrow at least we will get our morning cappuchinos but the lounger is highly unlikely.   Same song and dance - cruiseline policy due to safety.  

Eden dinner was fantastic, and service was top notch.  The exec chef and sous chefs were fascinating to watch work.

As for Grand Cayman, we did Stingray City.  I’ve done it before but my husband hadn’t/. I was a bit surprised they didn’t allow hubby to feed a stingray, but that was a pleasant surprise.  It seemed safer for everyone (I saw someone stung years ago and taken to hospital) and a bit more respectful of the sealife. 

When disembarking for Grand Cayman, I expected to go out via the destination lounge area like in 2022.  Instead we went down I95 to the Cayman tenders.  I suppose that was due to using local tenders instead of Celebrity’s own tenders but it was weird to come back through the destination lounge, with the signs of when the last tender is, after already coming back.  Little too late then.   I was equally surprised that the setup was even more TSA like in lines and ropes. Still it was efficient and fast.

Our departure from Grand Cayman was delayed a bit due to a medical emergency but we have a day at sea and Captain Kate informed there are no delays to arriving in Cartegena.  Hoping whomever was having issues is doing better now at the local hospital.

No shows for us tonight.  We decided to just relax quietly, though we did enjoy the cellist in Eden.  I never expected to hear Creep by Radiohead done as a cellist solo,  And like it!

Couple of other random notes:

1) My Dyson airwrap does not work in my cabin.  Obviously the plug won’t fit in the magic white box, but it wouldn’t work with an extension cord either.  No problem in 2022 but it was a different extension cord.  

2) Retreat pool - I guess no one comes around to take orders anymore? 

3) Starlink on this ship, with the premium wifi, works very well.  Even with a packed ship.

4) Ordered a bloody mary in Oceanview Cafe today.  It’s on the drink menu at the tables.  Was told the guy that makes them wasn’t available.  I don’t even know what to say….

That’s it for now.  We are relaxing and enjoying the breeze. Will try and get some answers tomorrow!

• Like 1

Hi!  Enjoy your cruise!  🥳  I hope the things you aren't 100% satisfied with get corrected.  

A fully packed ship.  Ugh.  I have a feeling my sailing will be the same since the sailing has been pulled for quite some time now.  I know it's good the ships are full but definitely got spoiled on a half filled ship in '21.   When I was on the Beyond in '22 the ship wasn't at capacity, which was nice. Still a lot of people but it never seemed like areas were bursting at the seams. 

Like some of the others that are following your journey, I'll be boarding next Friday as you disembark.  It'll be my 2nd time on the Beyond.

🍹

We loved the Apex.  Only negatives was not enough shade on suite sun deck-  Service was perfect.  Sky suite well designed.  We were previously on the Edge and the sky suites had a useless rocking chair which since has been removed from other edge class ships.  Enjoyed the martini bar.  Our favorite speciality restaurant was Eden- excellent food a service.  Others were good also.  We enjoyed the suite lounge and luminae.

We will sail on the beyond  next year and are looking foward to it.

) My Dyson airwrap does not work in my cabin.  Obviously the plug won’t fit in the magic white box, but it wouldn’t work with an extension cord either.  No problem in 2022 but it was a different extension cord.  

Have you tried using the plug in the bathroom?  thank you for sharing your thoughts and sorry about the less than perfect Retreat experience.  Cruise prices certainly have soared and it's sad when the experience doesn't match it.  Can you tell me who the bartenders in our favorite bar the World Class bar are?  We can't wait to be back on board next Friday and will be prepared for the crowds.  🙂  

On 4/2/2024 at 11:22 PM, mtempelaar said:

for entertainment, we did get to see Stage Door.

Did you sit in the retreat reserved seating? We're concerned about getting theater seats, especially on chic nights. Thanks again for sharing. We hope your butler experience improves.

9 hours ago, mtempelaar said:

Day 3 on Beyond / Grand Cayman

I see a few questions that I cannot readily answer but I will try and get them.

1) For the person who asked about giftcards, I really recommend calling Celebrity directly.  I think there are different kinds of giftcards, each with their own terms and conditions, and possibly a cap on amount for the cabin.  They most likely need to be applied to the cabin by them pre-cruise anyway.   
2) For type of champagne - I will have to find out.  My husband can no longer drink alcohol so I haven’t seen a list.

3) Alejandro is not the cruise director.  It’s a woman and I cannot recall her name.  We have only seen her one time so far and its not in the daily planner.   
4) For the butler, I would prefer not to give a name because I don’t want to get someone in trouble based on below comments.

On to todays comments….

we have had a rough time with butler service.  The butler did finally leave his card, and some truffles, but by day 3 afternoon, we still had not seen him personally.  My husband tried to call him twice and no answer.   Hubby is not the type to get upset about anything ever, but he finally got so upset he stomped into the Retreat Lounge.   I don’t know exactly what was said but he told me they were sending the butler to the cabin.  He waited in the cabin for 90 minutes before swearing and saying they are useless and Celebrity should get rid of butlers entirely and lower the price.   Note when we booked butlers were supposed to be “dedicated”. Now we can’t even get a call answered.  After 90 minutes we left for dinner.  The butler actually tracked us down at Eden to apologize.   According to the butler, he has 21 cabins, had been in our cabin a lot and just hadn’t seen us.  I have a counterargument to that but whatever.   Starting tomorrow at least we will get our morning cappuchinos but the lounger is highly unlikely.   Same song and dance - cruiseline policy due to safety.  

Eden dinner was fantastic, and service was top notch.  The exec chef and sous chefs were fascinating to watch work.

As for Grand Cayman, we did Stingray City.  I’ve done it before but my husband hadn’t/. I was a bit surprised they didn’t allow hubby to feed a stingray, but that was a pleasant surprise.  It seemed safer for everyone (I saw someone stung years ago and taken to hospital) and a bit more respectful of the sealife. 

When disembarking for Grand Cayman, I expected to go out via the destination lounge area like in 2022.  Instead we went down I95 to the Cayman tenders.  I suppose that was due to using local tenders instead of Celebrity’s own tenders but it was weird to come back through the destination lounge, with the signs of when the last tender is, after already coming back.  Little too late then.   I was equally surprised that the setup was even more TSA like in lines and ropes. Still it was efficient and fast.

Our departure from Grand Cayman was delayed a bit due to a medical emergency but we have a day at sea and Captain Kate informed there are no delays to arriving in Cartegena.  Hoping whomever was having issues is doing better now at the local hospital.

No shows for us tonight.  We decided to just relax quietly, though we did enjoy the cellist in Eden.  I never expected to hear Creep by Radiohead done as a cellist solo,  And like it!

Couple of other random notes:

1) My Dyson airwrap does not work in my cabin.  Obviously the plug won’t fit in the magic white box, but it wouldn’t work with an extension cord either.  No problem in 2022 but it was a different extension cord.  

2) Retreat pool - I guess no one comes around to take orders anymore? 

3) Starlink on this ship, with the premium wifi, works very well.  Even with a packed ship.

4) Ordered a bloody mary in Oceanview Cafe today.  It’s on the drink menu at the tables.  Was told the guy that makes them wasn’t available.  I don’t even know what to say….

That’s it for now.  We are relaxing and enjoying the breeze. Will try and get some answers tomorrow!

2 hours ago, spammie said:

) My Dyson airwrap does not work in my cabin.  Obviously the plug won’t fit in the magic white box, but it wouldn’t work with an extension cord either.  No problem in 2022 but it was a different extension cord.  

Have you tried using the plug in the bathroom?  thank you for sharing your thoughts and sorry about the less than perfect Retreat experience.  Cruise prices certainly have soared and it's sad when the experience doesn't match it.  Can you tell me who the bartenders in our favorite bar the World Class bar are?  We can't wait to be back on board next Friday and will be prepared for the crowds.  🙂  

I did try the outlet in the bathroom as well.  Didn’t work there either.   I will try and stop by the World Bar for you.

Posted (edited)

Having left Beyond on Monday (sorry to confirm some of your experiences):

Cruise Director is Shawna Hachey (Canadian).   

Butler* Debacle - The Butler situation would be beyond frustrating, and is absurd given the invite to wait in your room for the appearance and no appearance.  You should demand a meeting with Nina the Hotel Director (but don't expect empathy, she seemed remote from customer service despite being around the ship, not the Retreat) and explain how it's the opposite of hospitality at this point.  No one has 90 minutes to wait to make requests that shouldn't need to be made to a specific person, etc. if they can't deliver.  The concierge that set up the 90 minute wait should be waiting tables on the Retreat Deck, which seems to be purgatory. 

Caveat:  That said, we found most of the Retreat Concierges responsive and friendly, but only after an issue that pushed them to be.  Yet, they still couldn't find me a bowl of oatmeal at 9:33 am and I had to obtain and return from OVC with it to combine with lounge offerings swiftly removed at 10 am to the disappointment of our child who arrived at 10:01ish.   

Create a Record - Fill out the QR code and send send same message to executive office via email.  The lunacy should be documented.  The system is broken.  (But, query what is the system intended to do except run passengers in circles for items that should be available, e.g., a comfortable chair, snacks, on time room service, etc. ? Nothing that would be an issue at a land hotel). 

Retreat Sundeck on Beyond - Our experience was similar.  We waited 20 minutes for a so called waiter to take our order after asking to give one at the bar and the bartenders acting as if it is not their job. (They did roam and take drink orders, although the pool crowd can monopolize).  And, while known, the sundeck menu and food is pretty dreadful.  A pre cooked burger, premade wilted salad, premade wrap, mushy shrimp, and not much more.  The waiters are also the c-team.  Not sure where the waiters for food come from, but would not want them at another venue and they have no clue what the menu is or anything despite serving on the Retreat Sundeck each day. 

Will say first sea day with good weather, March 24 the concierges helped with finding seats and directing traffic, servers, which helped. After that no one seemed in charge or taking leadership on the sundeck.  A pair of housekeeping supervisor and trainee were ubiquitous though to the point of distracting.  Pool attendants were helpful in proactive finding a puzzle piece our child had misplaced.  So, good people, but not great management and too many strict lanes so staff are limited in what they can do. 

*Last week we did have service from a responsive Butler who was around, but it was not proactive or intuitive. Also, not sure why very specific snacks require a butler vs just being able to place a standing order, but they do.  That's on Celebrity.  The snacks (crackers and cheese) were better quality than on Apex a year earlier. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

This cruise director (I also could not remember her name) is far from good.  A cruise director, to me isn't that important, but a great one can make the cruise that much better.  She is very far from great IMO...

Day 4 on Beyond - A day at sea

So last night, as wonderful as Eden was, my lobster casserole had a piece that seemed undercooked.  My tummy let me know I was right rather quickly, but recovery was just as fast.   I plan to let them know.  

We took it very easy today.  Butler delivered our cappuchinos so we could enjoy an early morning relaxation time on the balcony reading.    

As for the cabin, 4 days in and still no creaking or cracking noises in 9201.  In 2022 we were baffled by the lack of airflow into the cabin from the balcony.  I am no engineer but I suspected something with the construction.  In this cabin we are experiencing the same and I think I know why.  One of the balcony walls is solid steel, which breaks the wind. So it really is the construction/design.   

I gambled away all my slot tournament winnings (these slots are very very tight) so will be switching to tables for the rest of the cruise.   

We had lunch at Grand Bistro, and as with our last cruise, they did not disappoint.   Excellent food, excellent service.   Worth every penny.  I don’t understand why more people don’t take advantage of this gem of a restaurant.  Yeah its lunch and specialty so there’s a fee, but it’s just so good.  We have done Le Petit Chef at dinner in 2022.   Le Petit Chef is cute and different but the food is meh and a time suck.  IMO they should just pull Le Petit Chef and have it as a french bistro for dinner.  We will be going back again for lunch during this cruise.

We did have reservation for Normandie tonight but decided to do Oceanview instead.   Lots of reasons but my husband is diabetic and his glucose was skyrocketing from all the food.   So we went light and careful.   It was enjoyable but surprised no carving station at dinner.  Also surprising was no iced tea initially.   They switched over by the time we left.   In a kudos to Celebrity - their unsweetened iced tea is truly unsweetened.   Royal Caribbean in November - their unsweetened was actually sweetened so we couldn’t drink it.  When you are watching your sugar levels, it really matters.   

As someone mentioned, I can confirm the cruise director is Shawna.   Not bad but not really visible.  

apparently I am off to Cafe al Bacio now.  Night all

Can anyone address the dining room issue? I made reservations for 6:30 PM every evening for six of us in my group. Now I’m reading where people have to wait in line and are put at shared tables which is not what we want.

thanks for any info.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:42 AM, Marie51 said:

Can anyone address the dining room issue? I made reservations for 6:30 PM every evening for six of us in my group. Now I’m reading where people have to wait in line and are put at shared tables which is not what we want.

thanks for any info.

In January on the Beyond we made reservations at 6pm every night for 6 people and never had a problem and never had to share with others.  

4 hours ago, Zignewt said:

In January on the Beyond we made reservations at 6pm every night for 6 people and never had a problem and never had to share with others.  

Thanks for your reply