How do you dress for a transatlantic cruise?

Have cruised a LOT but never done a Transatlantic. I know the weather will be iffy and leans more toward cold and windy than calm seas with the sun shining. Any special clothing to take? How do you dress for a TA cruise?

35 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Any special clothing to take? How do you dress for a TA cruise?

If you think you will want to spend time on the deck/promenade/balcony, I would suggest a jacket (or coat) that would be somewhat warm as well as wind and water resistant. I just ordered a LLBean H2OFF jacket that is warm-lined with quilted upper body and plaid wool lower body. If I hadn't found it, my non-thermal H2Off is roomy enough to wear over a sweater. 

What Crystal said about the jacket/coat.  I prefer a longish coat of thinner fabric over many layers.  Be sure yours will fit over a sweater or two.  I usually bring gloves and earmuffs, my ears don't like a cold wind.  Otherwise, your basic layers, just like always.  

• Like 1

A lot depends on whether you are going West to East or East to west? 

Layers is the name of the game there's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing choices so go prepared for all eventualities. Regardless of where we're going we always pack a light wind/rain mac being Brits we're used to 4 seasons in one day lol 😆 

• Haha 1

I have sailed across the transatlantic several times on different lines. A lot of your packing will be determined by the month in which you are traveling and whether your route is North Atlantic or further south. If you are traveling from NYC to Southampton on the QM2 in mid-December your requirements will be very different than if you are traveling from Miami to Lisbon in July.  Are you stopping in the Azores or Bermuda? If you would provide more info it would be helpful. 

Layers. 

I've taken many transatlantic cruises with weather ranging from hot (Florida) to snow in the Bay of Biscay. Easier to pack fewer things of each category (shorts, jeans, sweaters) and rewear things if necessary. Definitely take a rain coat that is windproof and a scarf. 

• Like 1

Overall layers are the plan but if you are asking about dress code it is usually fairly relaxed garb in the daytime. People do tend to dress nicely (but not formally) for dinner as they have time to primp a bit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the colder trips, I like hoodies that fit under my water-resistant windbreaker (also with hood).  I think they are also useful even for the warmer trips since it can be chilly in the mornings.

I also like walking shoes that are good for a damp or wet deck.

I've lived in California too long!  I don't recall ever seeing a pair of waterproof pants.  Where would I go to find some online?

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I've lived in California too long!  I don't recall ever seeing a pair of waterproof pants.  Where would I go to find some online?

Sierra Trading Post, REI, Costco, Sams

Much depends on the line and the route, as mentioned above, as well as the time of year.

I've done 3 TAs on QM2, all north Atlantic. Layers are definitely recommended if you're going to be spending any time on deck. (At least two of my TAs have involved multiple days where the decks were closed due to weather.) 

Indoors on the ship should be pretty temperate, but the AC can be cranked, so a cardigan or shawl can be helpful. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, Water_Baby_ said:

Layers. 

I've taken many transatlantic cruises with weather ranging from hot (Florida) to snow in the Bay of Biscay. Easier to pack fewer things of each category (shorts, jeans, sweaters) and rewear things if necessary. Definitely take a rain coat that is windproof and a scarf. 

Take fewer things of each type. We started in Barcelona in late October. We needed short sleeves during the day, light sweater or jacket in the evening. Things were hot in Majorca and Valencia. The first few days at sea were windy and chilly. Pants, long sleeve thermals and a windbreaker were needed. As we traveled west, it got warmer each day. We stopped in the Bahamas and needed shorts and sleeveless shirts. We needed a bit of it all.

It's your basic layers plan on steroids.  I find that a silk turtleneck under a short-sleeved shirt as good as a long-sleeved shirt.  Bring accessories.  I pack beige and black and one bright color.  Everything can be worn with everything else.  Everything's hand washable and doesn't need ironing.  Tank tops with shorts, or under a shirt, over a turtleneck.  One plain black tunic top with scarves and pretty earrings for dinners.  I pack 3 pairs of black pants, 2 pairs of 'walking shoes', flippers, all black.  Khaki shorts, neutral sandals.  A weightless caftan as a robe and can also run get coffee in the morning.  Rain jacket/windbreaker and scarf, sweater or sweatshirt.  It's very 'freeing' to pack as little as possible and still look presentable 24/7.  

On 5/2/2024 at 8:08 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

Much depends on the line and the route, as mentioned above, as well as the time of year.

I've done 3 TAs on QM2, all north Atlantic. Layers are definitely recommended if you're going to be spending any time on deck. (At least two of my TAs have involved multiple days where the decks were closed due to weather.) 

Indoors on the ship should be pretty temperate, but the AC can be cranked, so a cardigan or shawl can be helpful. 

Thanks super helpful. I just planned this trip with a friend for next March and was wondering what to plan on. Sounds like layers and things I can rewear. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I second Crystalspin, I have the LLbean H2off raincoat with the primaloft liner. I bring that, always a pair of gloves, No hat or scarf because I don't like to wear those. Other than that I just pack the same as I always do. Mostly light short sleeve or sleeveless dresses, a few light cardigans, 4 to 5 shirts, 1 sweat shirt, 1 long sleeve t-shirt, and one pair dressy yoga pants. 2 pairs sandals and 1 pair tennis shoes, couple  pairs of socks, undergarments, very few toiletries, and very few over the counter meds. Oh yeah also under garments!

I live in the south so 40s and 50s is winter temps for me but find that I am quite comfortable using those layers. I always try to pack light.

We have 2 transatlantic cruises ( Holland over and QM2 back) plus a week in Belgium, in April of 2025. I will do some sink laundry and when on QM2 real laundry.

Sometimes I switch out one of the sandals for closed toe flats, but not very often.

• Like 2