Live! Radiance of the Seas - Panama Canal cruise - April 8, 2024

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Teeara was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

And we’re off!  My roommate Pam and I are sailing on our first Panama Canal cruise and our first time on Radiance.  This will be more of a photo journal of our cruise.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.48930f064b66549633577525810fd982.jpeg

We are NOT light packers!  😉😁😂. Yes, we each have 3 suitcases and a backpack for this cruise.

IMG_3936.thumb.jpeg.edb7b8b0cb6641c84c98c4b51ea8ced9.jpeg

We flew JetBlue from Boston to Tampa today (Saturday, April 6).  The flight was fine and only slightly bumpy.

IMG_3944.thumb.jpeg.17ebd5e5fe7d0ab197e2d591896ba4bb.jpeg

We lucked out and were able to check into our hotel room at Hyatt Place Tampa Downtown and oh my, the room is huge!  And Pam is waving hello! to all of you (I was shooting a room tour video for my YT channel).

IMG_3943.thumb.jpeg.309045cd8411802aa4e0403950ad13fc.jpeg

And here’s one of our views!

IMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.a87fd0ffaa8842cb52da90a61ee53376.jpeg

We did the upper portion of the Riverwalk and we really enjoyed it.  There were plenty of places to sit, lots of restaurants and activities, too.  We also liked the way the integrated art into the walkway.

IMG_3993.thumb.jpeg.9a4efd6a6bd45d2d12c8ceaed9f71a61.jpeg

We had lunch at Ulele and it was fantastic.  I had the Native Sauté with pan-seared zucchini, squash, carrots, onion, baby spinach, portobello mushrooms, and green beans with a soy ginger reduction over wild rice pilaf.  

IMG_3998.thumb.jpeg.43a2af499ea5f0b4f929d482459f2cb9.jpeg

After lunch we took the Pirate Water Taxi and the Island Tour.  One of the stops was next to the American Victory ship.  You can tour it.

IMG_3992.thumb.jpeg.368cb1a791626ac3e16b90db94c1bb5b.jpeg

The stop is also next to the RCI terminal and we were able to get up close and personal with Enchantment right before her sailaway.

IMG_3997.thumb.jpeg.7ef6d452f814439fbaabe083fe1302df.jpeg

We also passed by a pirate ship!

IMG_3995.thumb.jpeg.8cb3991f4fc230f3ae8f54c8b0c6a1e7.jpeg

Then it was time for a leisurely walk back to the hotel.  We love all the lush greenery here in Tampa (and the blue skies).  We haven’t had much of that lately in Boston. 😉😁

IMG_3984.thumb.jpeg.f1e75e951a0c5095bdd96ff936b03038.jpeg

So if you haven’t cruised out of Tampa before, you should definitely do so and make sure you stay a few days before or after your cruise.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy your trip. We sailed her through the canal in October.   Missed our Mexico stop because o. f 3 hurricanes!  Captain avoided them so it was smooth sailing. We love that class of ships.

• Like 1

I’d love to do this cruise! I need to pay more attention to what itineraries are sailing out of Tampa. I haven’t looked ther very often recently. That apparently needs to change!

• Like 2

Bucket list for me too but will likely have to wait a few more years. That native saute looks wonderful.

Have an amazing time!

• Like 1

Bon Voyage my friend!  Hope you and Pam have a great time on one of my favorite ships!  

We won't be aboard Radiance again until Alaska next year doing one of our favorite B2B cruises from Seward to Vancouver and back next year. 

But we will cruising out of Tampa again on "Enstretchment" for a B2B in Oct., and then again in December on Celebrity "Connie".   

Be sure to catch the Sunshine Skyway bridge sight as you pass under tomorrow!  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cruiselover04 said:

We’re all packed and flying down to Tampa tomorrow morning from Toronto. See you on board! 

Jenni

Will you be at Hattricks for dinner tonight?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Bucket list for me too but will likely have to wait a few more years. That native saute looks wonderful.

Have an amazing time!

That Native Sauté was so incredibly good!  I’m going to try to recreate it when I get home.

Edited by Teeara
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bon Voyage my friend!  Hope you and Pam have a great time on one of my favorite ships!  

We won't be aboard Radiance again until Alaska next year doing one of our favorite B2B cruises from Seward to Vancouver and back next year. 

But we will cruising out of Tampa again on "Enstretchment" for a B2B in Oct., and then again in December on Celebrity "Connie".   

Be sure to catch the Sunshine Skyway bridge sight as you pass under tomorrow!  🙂 

I’ll be missing you!  But you’ve got Alaska and that is always a fun cruise.

We’ll try.  How long does it take to get to it once we leave port?  We have 5:30 dinner reservations in the MDR.

4 minutes ago, Teeara said:

I’ll be missing you!  But you’ve got Alaska and that is always a fun cruise.

We’ll try.  How long does it take to get to it once we leave port?  We have 5:30 dinner reservations in the MDR.

Unfortunately, unless you leave late for some reason...it is indeed around your dinner time.  Sometimes we simply do the WJ for dinner, so we won't miss it.  The captain will announce approximately what time you will be passing under it.  Enjoy!  Always a thrill, no matter how many times we have done so.  🙂 

• Like 2

Looking forward to the review, I am on Radiance in November! I've been wanting to take a cruise from my hometown for a while 🙂 

• Like 2

I sailed Radiance 23 years ago (March 26-29, 2001) on her first revenue cruise.  She had that new ship smell.  🙂  Was scheduled to cruise on her again 20 years later to Alaska, but that didn't happen (COVID canceled cruise #3).

• Like 1

Hubs and I will be cruising on Radiance in September from Vancouver to LA, and staying on ship from LA in October through the Panama Canal to Tampa. Can't wait for this cruise! Thanks for doing a picture review!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Hubs and I will be cruising on Radiance in September from Vancouver to LA, and staying on ship from LA in October through the Panama Canal to Tampa. Can't wait for this cruise! Thanks for doing a picture review!

Pretty much what we did this past October.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Enstretchment! Love it! 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I sailed Radiance 23 years ago (March 26-29, 2001) on her first revenue cruise.  She had that new ship smell.  🙂  Was scheduled to cruise on her again 20 years later to Alaska, but that didn't happen (COVID canceled cruise #3).

Same thing happened to me.  😞    We still went up to Alaska, but subbed a VRBO rental in Homer for that 2 weeks.  Happy to rebook it again, and so happy to be back on board Radiance again.  Teeara will love it!  

Looking forward to her review as well.  🥰

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

She just went through a 3 week drydock, so we’re hoping for some new ship smell, too.  Some work was done inside the ship as well as outside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Same thing happened to me.  😞    We still went up to Alaska, but subbed a VRBO rental in Homer for that 2 weeks.  Happy to rebook it again, and so happy to be back on board Radiance again.  Teeara will love it!  

Looking forward to her review as well.  🥰

I’ll be doing a full video series like I did for the Wonder TA.

As for Alaska, my mom and I went during Covid in 2021, rented a car in Anchorage and did a 6 day road trip up to Fairbanks.  It was fantastic.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Teeara said:

I’ll be doing a full video series like I did for the Wonder TA.

As for Alaska, my mom and I went during Covid in 2021, rented a car in Anchorage and did a 6 day road trip up to Fairbanks.  It was fantastic.  

Oh that's right.  I remember you telling me about that.  Great time for a mother daughter trip!  

We did the Fairbanks thing as well during our road trip at different B&Bs.  Sad seeing the resorts and area around Denali all closed up.  😞 

17 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Enjoy your trip. We sailed her through the canal in October.   Missed our Mexico stop because o. f 3 hurricanes!  Captain avoided them so it was smooth sailing. We love that class of ships.

Yeah was wondering if we were going have any stops, thought we might end up with a 16nite Cruise to nowhere. Going around the Hurricane looked at times we were half way to Hawaii