The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 7th, 2024

kazu

Today is International Beaver Day, International Snail-papers Day, and Metric System Day

I quit therapy because my analyst was trying to help me behind my back. - Richard Lewis

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Classic Potato Salad (with Hard Boiled Eggs)
Drink of the Day - Key Lime Pie
Wine of the Day - Bota Box Nighthawk Buttery Chardonnay 
Destination of the Day - Costa Maya, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya

Today in History:
1724 Johann Sebastian Bach's "St John Passion" premieres in Leipzig

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 04-08

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 23:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos eta 04-08

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island Azores Portugal eta 04-12

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 7:00-15:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 04-09

Zaandam

Pubertal Vallarta - 00:00 - 15:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Noumea, Grande Terre Island New Caledonia eta 04-09

Westerdam

Sakata, Japan Yamagata 08:00 - 19:00 

Zuiderdam

Zanzibar, Tanzia 07:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 28

Good morning.

It is 52°F, sunny but breezy here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days.

We went to Costa Maya February 2023 on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.IMG_20230203_111943.thumb.jpg.46b97cf98186852c7da1bd375afe83a8.jpg

IMG_20230203_104226.jpg

IMG_20230203_104141.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends! It's a cold 36F this morning with clear skies.  But today we will reach 74 and enjoy mostly sunny weather.🌞

Thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the fleet location maps.  I guess beavers get their own day today, as well as newspapers (snail papers), and of course the metric system which a large part of the world uses.  Ha Ha to the quote by Richard Lewis.  I can't wait to see the potato salad recipes.  I would like some key lime pie even if it was a cocktail but would pass on the chardonnay.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports.

Prayers for my DB, great nephew Alex's twins, my friends Scott, Susan and Sandy.  Also to our Daily friends on the Care list and those not on it, for pain relief, healing and improved mental and physical health.  Tana and Vanessa are at the top of the list.  Also praying for those in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages now held 6 months, innocents killed, and our troops on bases and ships in the region.  🙏 

Cheers to those enjoying special events in their lives, and cruising. 🎂🎉 We have many Dailyites away on cruises and that's a good thing! 🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the excellent job keeping the lists updated.  Praying you feel less pain and get more sleep in the very near future.

The port of the day is Costa Maya, Mexico.  It was our port only once before on Oct. 12, 2023.  I enjoyed a couple visits there.  Here is the link to that date for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

I hope you all have a great day!  Stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Key Lime Pie cocktail:

Transport yourself to the Florida Keys with a new take on the classic martini. The DeKuyper® Key Lime Pie Martini is like a dessert in a glass - boasting DeKuyper® Vanilla Liqueur and Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka combined with fresh lime juice and cream. Add a graham cracker rim and this key lime cocktail becomes a decadent after dinner treat or a summer party drink.

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Vanilla Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka
1 part fresh Lime Juice
2 parts Cream
Whipped Cream
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a graham cracker-rimmed glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a lime wheel

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 6.38.53 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 21

Costa Maya, Mexico is located on the Yucatan peninsula.  What was at one point a fishing village is now a tourist destination for cruise ship passengers.  You can stay right by the pier and lay by the pool, go shopping, eat at restaurants or even see the dolphins and flamingos they keep on the property.  We have been there twice.  The first time I took a tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins and the second time walked around the immediate pier area and even outside the walls to see a Mayan ruin replica we saw from the ship.

On Dec. 10, 2015 we arrived on Regal Princess and I got off the ship to join my tour.  This is what the area looks like from your ship.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

You walk through the “village” and get on your bus for a tour.  Once we left, we saw this replica of the ruins outside the walls of the village.  I had seen it from the top deck of the ship that morning.

Arriving at Chacchoben.  This area was excavated by an American archeologist in 1972. 

My grandson’s Flat Stanley (school project) was excited to be this close to the ancient ruins.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here they are, what looks like stairs, all uncovered

Our tour guide Pablo telling us about the ruins’ history

Carved stones uncovered

Last looks at the Chacchoben ruins

Then on Feb. 8, 2019 we sailed to Costa Maya on the Rotterdam.  This time we simply walked off the ship and explored what was available there.  At breakfast I saw this huge ship, Allure of the Seas arriving.  It looked like they were going to run us down!

Walking between the two ships, you can see there’s not much space between the overhanding sections of each ship

From this view you can see how freaky the two ships so close together look. 

Here’s some shopping for you

The pool area

Walking outside the walls we went about a block or two away and found the ruins replica seen in 2015.

Back inside, we found a lovely group of flamingos

And a dolphin pool

Not to mention a healthy looking iguana

A good comparison between “just right” and “way too big”

If you prefer the ocean to swim in I recommend the right side of the dock and not the left

Actually, I’d stick with the pool!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps! Well, we are back in the forties this morning. I will say these temps make for exquisite days. It has been super windy for our golfers and boaters, though. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that the 22nd comes fast & gives you permanent relief. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, a check in with my Sister & Brayden, some patio chores. Another layer of pollen to clean off. 

IMG_2618.jpeg.973eb354fc45b8bb73e106abdbdb2fb2.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg.a7b0e619060bc2acd89e21a1255f5ebb.jpeg

IMG_2678.jpeg.e82a85508612063e69f031cc55658e85.jpeg

Prayers for all who need them. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, the loss of a loved one, trauma. The caregivers. Terry, praying for Tana, her son, you & your entire family.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Bota Box Nighthawk Buttery Chardonnay 

Yes Dailyites, we have another wine in the box! Easy to find, reasonably priced and the majority of consumers believe it is ver good. Online prices start at $16.99.

Winemaker’s notes

Our distinctive Nighthawk Buttery Chardonnay delivers delicious toasted oak with flickering notes of rich butterscotch and luscious honey, paired with irresistibly creamy texture and a golden hue in the glass. Made to be sipped, savored and shared wherever your next adventure takes you.

PAIRS WITH

This distinctive wine is the perfect complement to chilled shrimp cocktail or grilled tarragon chicken.

WINE DETAILS

Alcohol: 14.5%

• Like 16
  • Thanks 17
  • Haha 4

Today’s Care List:

RMLincoln’s DSIL back in the hospital, slight improvement

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, on maximal oxygen

Nickelpenny going for a CT scan

Dfish’s eye infection, improving

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness

Taiwan 7.4 magnitude earthquake

Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 6 people presumed dead

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

Nickelpenny with leg numbness and pain

Ger_77’s DH Maurice needing heart valve replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Heartgrove’s DW Sue and DSIL!

Bon Voyage Overhead Fred (Fred & Mitzi)!

Bon Voyage Vict0riann (Ann & Pat)!

Welcome home smmessineo!

Welcome home POA1 & Huskerchick!

NextOne’s DS got a new job!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard’s successful outcome from his January eye surgery!

USN59-79 in Taipei

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

7 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Norwegian Joy Apr 14 to Apr 21) 7d Bermuda from NY

Ocean sounds (Zaandam to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera, SusieKIslandGirl (Discovery Princess to Apr 13) 10d Mexican Riviera with Total Solar Eclipse, Heartgrove’s DW Sue and DSIL (Rotterdam to Apr 13) 6d W. Caribbean, Vict0riann (Nieuw Statendam to Apr 21) 14d Bermuda, Brittany & The English Channel Expedition, Lobsternight (Koningsdam to April 27) 22d Solar Eclipse & Circle Hawaii, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, for Overhead Fred (Nieuw Statendam to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure, Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Cool and clear this morning, but there's frost on the rooftops.  Ugh.  At least it's not snowing.

Three important things to celebrate.  Hooray for beavers, newspapers and the metric system.

Amusing quote.

I like potato salad, I wonder how today's recipes will compare to mine.  The drink and the wine sound tasty too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day. 

• Like 29

58 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Costa Maya, Mexico is located on the Yucatan peninsula.  What was at one point a fishing village is now a tourist destination for cruise ship passengers.  You can stay right by the pier and lay by the pool, go shopping, eat at restaurants or even see the dolphins and flamingos they keep on the property.  We have been there twice.  The first time I took a tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins and the second time walked around the immediate pier area and even outside the walls to see a Mayan ruin replica we saw from the ship.

On Dec. 10, 2015 we arrived on Regal Princess and I got off the ship to join my tour.  This is what the area looks like from your ship.

You walk through the “village” and get on your bus for a tour.  Once we left, we saw this replica of the ruins outside the walls of the village.  I had seen it from the top deck of the ship that morning.

Arriving at Chacchoben.  This area was excavated by an American archeologist in 1972. 

My grandson’s Flat Stanley (school project) was excited to be this close to the ancient ruins.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Here they are, what looks like stairs, all uncovered

Our tour guide Pablo telling us about the ruins’ history

Carved stones uncovered

Last looks at the Chacchoben ruins

Then on Feb. 8, 2019 we sailed to Costa Maya on the Rotterdam.  This time we simply walked off the ship and explored what was available there.  At breakfast I saw this huge ship, Allure of the Seas arriving.  It looked like they were going to run us down!

Walking between the two ships, you can see there’s not much space between the overhanding sections of each ship

From this view you can see how freaky the two ships so close together look. 

Here’s some shopping for you

The pool area

Walking outside the walls we went about a block or two away and found the ruins replica seen in 2015.

Back inside, we found a lovely group of flamingos

And a dolphin pool

Not to mention a healthy looking iguana

A good comparison between “just right” and “way too big”

If you prefer the ocean to swim in I recommend the right side of the dock and not the left

Actually, I’d stick with the pool!

Super photos Sandi.

We stayed in the port area and watched people swimming with the dolphins.

There was another pool with lots of sunbeds around.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny today. Getting up into the 50s today. Seems like the wind has died down a bit. Visiting with family today. Time to relax. 

Bon voyage to @Heartgrove, @Overhead Fred, and @Vict0riann.

TIME TO CRUISE_BON VOYAGE post card | Zazzle

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

ALLIE'S Cats - Page 36 - SASS Wire Saloon - SASS Wire Forum

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Good morning, everyone!

It is a frosty start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but we will warm to about 60F with sunny skies.  It will be a nice day for a stroll through the gardens.  The eye is pretty much the same.  It isn't as painful, but it is still swollen.  

The weather is looking good for our eclipse journey.  We have a nice spot all picked out.  

Bon Voyage to @Heartgrove's DW, @Overhead Fred, and @Vict0riann

Everyone has a favorite potato salad recipe and it is usually what Mom made.  I know my Mom's potato salad would rank higher than the recipes.  These are an attempt to make them healthy and the main way they do that is to substitute for the mayo in the potato salad.  Hmmm, we shall see.  https://www.wellplated.com/healthy-potato-salad/

potatosalad1.thumb.jpg.6ddddb297935efb7393cda0c70d16074.jpg

This one uses a bit of mayo and mixes it with Greek yogurt.  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/healthy-classic-potato-salad-with-hard-boiled-eggs/

potatosalad2.thumb.jpg.a63445929968ba2c067f14a46a66c71a.jpg

You can pair that healthy potato salad with a delicious grilled hamburger.  Here are directions from Bobby Flay:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/perfect-burger-recipe-1957542

grilledhamburger.jpeg.b2c2650739be917d784f40443892c674.jpeg

Hoping this finds everyone well and wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Good afternoon.

We have just got home after 10 nights away including

7 night's on P&O Iona visiting.

Hamburg Germany.

Rotterdam Holland 2 days.

Zeebrugge Belgium.

The weather was light rain a lot of the time but we had an amazing time.

I will post some photos next including Hotel New York Rotterdam the former home of Holland America line.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

DW and DSIL are ready to board the Rotterdam today. Ironically this is the fourth time I have been booked for a cruise on the Rotterdam plus this time I actually paid the fare! But have never sailed yet however booked for the Transatlantic in October when it returns from the European season. The fifth time hopefully should be the charm!!! Sam and I are having quality time with just "the boys in the house."  😄

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 34

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Key Lime Pie cocktail:

Transport yourself to the Florida Keys with a new take on the classic martini. The DeKuyper® Key Lime Pie Martini is like a dessert in a glass - boasting DeKuyper® Vanilla Liqueur and Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka combined with fresh lime juice and cream. Add a graham cracker rim and this key lime cocktail becomes a decadent after dinner treat or a summer party drink.

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Vanilla Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Citrus Vodka
1 part fresh Lime Juice
2 parts Cream
Whipped Cream
Lime Wheel

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a graham cracker-rimmed glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a lime wheel

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 6.38.53 AM.png

I prefer the solid kind. Favorite desert in Key West, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick!

• Like 21

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors!

One final word from my cruises last two weeks! The day before disembarkation HAL put out luggage scales at each deck next to the central core elevators. I decided to get on the scale to see how much weight I had gained in 15 days. I did not get a digital readout of my weigh but a message that said, “EXCESS BAGGAGE” 😳😳😳!

Actually I was on a strict diet and exercise program. Lost 3 pounds! That never happened before!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 23
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone from a frosty, sunny, Northern Michigan.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I’ll celebrate beavers because they are so important for our ecosystem. Not sure about snail papers.  I studied the metric system in college because of our impending conversion to it, hah!  It’s still a more precise system of measurement.  The quote seems more of a joke than a quote.  The meal suggestion is always welcome as a side dish here.  The drink sounds tasty.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today! 🎉

• Like 28