What time does check in start? What documents needed?

Hi all, what time does check in start? Is it midnight in the time zone of the cruise? What documents do I need? Will I just input our passport info or does it scan in using the app? We have Global Entry (if anyone doesn't have that & does at least 1 international trip per year I highly recommend it) so do I need those numbers also? I will be away from home checkin date so want to make sure I have all the data with me. Do I need my celebrity booking number? Can I check my DH & myself on at the same time? We want to get the earliest possible checking time since another couple has concierge class. Do we have 1 person check in everyone from our party? Or best for each couple to check in separately?Thanks everyone. Haven't cruised since before COVID19. 

I just checked in on app this past week. If you want an early time do it at 1201am est. I usually do at 6am est and get 11 or 1130am.  I find cruise on app then hit checkin tab. Then you can do both people in room. I then go straight to check in time and get earliest possible. Then I go back and enter information for both people one at a time. You can scan passports and information is then in. Then fill out rest of info. Then take a picture with camera. I usually do that in morning when spouse is awake. So you can come and go with putting info. It will be saved. On arrival day at terminal they may retake picture if your picture is not to their liking.

You may need reservation if the app does not have it saved. I never have needed it.

you can do on app or on cruise planner. I actually use both some times. It is easier to take picture and enter on app that take a picture then load onto planner. 

Thanks everyone. DH will not be with me when I check in so I will have to do both pictures later. Sorry I didn't clarify, I knew you needed a CC& I'll input my chase sapphire reserve # to get more points. Do I need my Global Entry numbers? If I remember correctly no, but I won't  be home so would have to take them with me. Does your Passport scan on the app or do I do a download? I will be out of town & would rather not take my passports with me but just type in manually. 

I got a professional heads hot picture at a conference I attended. Is that ok? If I checkin just with getting a boarding time,  can I input the rest of the documents later that day- less than 24 hours later?

You can put in what ever you have at first. When you get to terminal they will do whatever you do not have. You can put in by hand or scan. They just added scanning feature recently. 

Like I said if they do not like the pics you put in they will retake at terminal. 

For now just get check in time then worry about other stuff later. You can do weeks later it is saved. 

59 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I got a professional heads hot picture at a conference I attended.

Don't waste your time.  They'll probably take another when you check in for the cruise---takes seconds.  Global Entry not used.

Not downloading the picture sounds much easier. I didn't think there was a GE kiosk at the port as I'm sure they aren't cheap. But it would be great if DHS would consider doing that- would save a lot of time. I love GE!

Generally it opens at Midnight on the designated date (port of embarkation time).   We can grab a slot at 9PM in California for East Cost Cruises.

You can just grab the time slot using the app at midnight and comeback anytime in the next 45 days to complete the rest.

Actually that is all you need - everything else can be done at the port ---

Basics -   Passport (scan with App), Address and Emergency Contact, Credit Card # and One Paragraph Health Questionnaire.    24 hours before cruise the Health Questionnaire may become available (or not).     The day of cruise the Safety Video can be completed (or wait and watch on tv)    Once you board - after completing safety drill 2.0 you go to you muster station to have your seapass scanned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jim, I love all your TR & am reading your adventures everyday on your cruise from AU back to the US. Always really enjoy reading about your & Ian's adventures. Hope you have a great trip! Please post how you like the go pro underwater. We are booked with Celebrity  Galapagos  next year & a bear watching adventure  at a wilderness lodge & possible cruise again in AK next year. Want to see your opinion on the camera underwater.  Loved your pics & blog on Sydney. Keep on writing please!!!

4 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks Jim, I love all your TR & am reading your adventures everyday on your cruise from AU back to the US. Always really enjoy reading about your & Ian's adventures. Hope you have a great trip! Please post how you like the go pro underwater. We are booked with Celebrity  Galapagos  next year & a bear watching adventure  at a wilderness lodge & possible cruise again in AK next year. Want to see your opinion on the camera underwater.  Loved your pics & blog on Sydney. Keep on writing please!!!

Will do... I haven't been in the water with it yet.   I'm sure with all the Islands will get the opportunity to try it out.

15 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Not downloading the picture sounds much easier. I didn't think there was a GE kiosk at the port as I'm sure they aren't cheap. But it would be great if DHS would consider doing that- would save a lot of time. I love GE!

They've pretty much leapfrogged GE in favor of facial recognition

• Like 1

Yeah, I know facial recognition is the new thing - much faster.   I believe the program is still called GE so that's why I used it. I'm a retired Fed - was working at DHS, & CBP was my component, when we rolled out GE. We all thought it was going to be a big hit & it is. Hard to get an appointment now to get an interview for GE but I just got mine renewed. I believe it's still a lot easier to get appointments at the Regan building, home of CBP, in DC in case you can't get interviews elsewhere.

We haven't traveled internationally since 2019 when we went to Portugal but are planning on lots of international trips in the near future besides our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. Will probably go back to Europe in the fall on a independent land visit. Next year we are cruising to the Galapagos on Celebrity. 

33 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Yeah, I know facial recognition is the new thing - much faster.   I believe the program is still called GE so that's why I used it. I'm a retired Fed - was working at DHS, & CBP was my component, when we rolled out GE. We all thought it was going to be a big hit & it is. Hard to get an appointment now to get an interview for GE but I just got mine renewed. I believe it's still a lot easier to get appointments at the Regan building, home of CBP, in DC in case you can't get interviews elsewhere.

We haven't traveled internationally since 2019 when we went to Portugal but are planning on lots of international trips in the near future besides our upcoming cruise to Bermuda. Will probably go back to Europe in the fall on a independent land visit. Next year we are cruising to the Galapagos on Celebrity. 

As I'm sure you know, the idea of GE is you pay a premium for a dedicated line/lane which is usually faster.  GE pushes the "enrollment on arrival" which covers renewals, however, most airports have different operating hours at different terminals, and if your flight is delayed you're SOL if you land after operating hours

An article just came out today, cliff notes, use enrollment on arrival if possible, they claim to be opening "tons" more appts in most locations yet San Diego and the Bay area will remain challenging and they open up appts on the first Monday of the month at 9am (no timezone given)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/global-entry-wait-times-update/

Please refrain for the Global Entry usage re cruise documents, as we don't want to confuse people about what traveling documents are required.

For anyone wondering - a Global Entry card does not take the place of a passport, or if you are a US born citizen, your US gov't issued birth certificate.

Ferry watcher, you are correct - many people don't know about GE. I was hoping CBP would start using GE in cruise ports. To recap, GE is a DHS tool to allow travelers a quick reentry back into the US without have to stand on line to clear CBP. It also allows TSA precheck. It cost $100 good for unlimited entry for 5 years. You need to sign up in advance & most importantly go for an interview which is hard to get these days. We have used it numerous times though the years & know from experience, that it's saved us a lot of time. Our international airport in DC is Dulles so we get all the latest here but not all airports in the US have it. Remember you clear customs at your first port of entry in the US. It is not affiliated with passports- that's the state dept.

The Points Guy article did say GE is not in use at cruise ports but I'm sure DHS is considering this. I do know DHS has been short staffed & the agency has been requesting more aide from Congress. An interesting read is the DHS annual financial report. 

op is stressing..no reason   they will take photo at the pier. before boarding... We .do.minimal needed to get a check in time.

I think the .earliest is usually 11 or 11 30 am

Heat, I'm only stressing as I will be away from home on checkin date & don't want to bring my passport with me while I'm away to checkin. I will set an alarm clock in the hotel to get me up at 1150pm to get ready to check in at 1205am. Thanks everyone.  

34 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

It is not affiliated with passports- that's the state dept.

I appreciate that, and I know that you have an understanding of what is needed to travel.  It's all the other people that will give this a quick read and might assume Global Entry is enough documentation to get on a cruise ship.  

I work seasonally at a cruise port, and have dealt with passengers who will just show up with their Global Entry card, which would be a boarding denial (no passport or US birth certificate).  So, probably 1/3 of my posts are to educate folks on what documents are needed for a closed loop cruise to Alaska, or the difference between an Enhanced DL and a Real ID driver's license.  It's a never ending battle, but if I (and others) can prevent one person from being denied due to a simple document issue, then it is all worth it.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Heat, I'm only stressing as I will be away from home on checkin date & don't want to bring my passport with me while I'm away to checkin. I will set an alarm clock in the hotel to get me up at 1150pm to get ready to check in at 1205am. Thanks everyone.  

I get it now.. probably also not your usual home computer either?   good luck! 

No I will take my laptop with me purposely for this & have my cell phone also. I want to get early boarding so I can use my OBC right away to book an excursion before it sells out.