Skagway Rail and Bike excursion

Nicn81

Posted (edited)

Has anyone taken the White Pass Railway and Bike excursion?  The description says it is downhill but also says it ranges from 15-25 miles an hour.  I ride a bike but not sure if this might be too much.  Would like to hear from someone who has actually taken the excursion.

Sorry - forgot to say this is in Skagway.

Edited by Nicn81
Left something out.

2 hours ago, Nicn81 said:

Has anyone taken the White Pass Railway and Bike excursion?  The description says it is downhill but also says it ranges from 15-25 miles an hour.  I ride a bike but not sure if this might be too much.  Would like to hear from someone who has actually taken the excursion.

Did the bike several years ago. Mostly braking the entire ride down hill .

Group stopped often to rest and cool the brake pads.

Just the right speed for us .

Posted (edited)

I haven't done it but it is down hill. So not difficult at all. I have seen it many times as I always take the highway into the Yukon (private car, bus, van, etc..) and always see the bikers. I used to bike quite a bit in my younger years and I would not do this tour. Not due to difficulty but due to there is traffic on the road and I don't like riding next to buses, etc.....

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Coral

I've seen this tour when we've driven into the Yukon.  The bikes share the road with huge tour buses, tourists in rental cars, etc.  I, personally, would never do it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Related question.  What impact does rain have on the bike ride down?  Do they cancel it (I hope NOT!) or just take it slower?

Thanks.

Most excursions in Alaska run rain or shine or they would be canceling a lot of tours because it rains regularly. I remember a particularly wet zip line adventure my daughter and I shared once in Ketchikan. We were soaked but it was exhilarating as the damp lines made it a little faster. 

So unless the weather is so bad it creates a safety issue, you can count on your excursion being a go. 

• Like 3

We took this tour several years ago. The train ride was nice and the bike ride is downhill. BUT because it was early in the season, middle of May, it started to SNOW. Part way down the hill we ended up riding the rest of the way in the van. But others in the group continued without a problem. 

On 4/9/2024 at 11:21 AM, Nicn81 said:

I did this excursion and we loved it.  Don't worry about it being too fast.  They are good at keeping the group together.  You will stop at several points to take in the scenery and learn about historic spots.  Crossing the border on the bicycles was kinda cool too.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did this last year and really enjoyed it.  The group stays together.  They have a guide in the front and in the back.  It is a busy road, but the guides are signaling to you so you know to stay on the side. You are using the brakes most of the time with only a couple of times to uphill (a short hill) pedal.  They stop frequently to make sure everyone is ok and see the area.  You really should be keeping your eyes on the road while riding.  You ride close to each other so the group stays together.  I second going through customs on a bicycle is fun and probably something most people don't get the opportunity to do.  The day we did took this excursion, it was really foggy when we got off the train so they took us a couple miles down the mountain to be out of the fog.  Helmets are required and provided. 

Before we went, I saw a review from someone who was disappointed that they couldn't ride at their own speed as they were avid bikers.  It doesn't sound like this fits the original poster, just mentioning it for anyone else reading this.  You stay in line, no passing, no riding ahead (or behind) the guides.  

Bike ride.jpg

Edited by bandtaxi

On 4/15/2024 at 9:24 AM, LEMJMcC said:

Bummer about helmets required...I hate helmet laws.

After having a daughter who had a fractured skull and a subdermal hematoma from riding a bike without a helmet when she was 9, I never go without mine.  And neither do others in my biking club.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:00 PM, bandtaxi said:

Did this last year and really enjoyed it.  The group stays together.  They have a guide in the front and in the back.  It is a busy road, but the guides are signaling to you so you know to stay on the side. You are using the brakes most of the time with only a couple of times to uphill (a short hill) pedal.  They stop frequently to make sure everyone is ok and see the area.  You really should be keeping your eyes on the road while riding.  You ride close to each other so the group stays together.  I second going through customs on a bicycle is fun and probably something most people don't get the opportunity to do.  The day we did took this excursion, it was really foggy when we got off the train so they took us a couple miles down the mountain to be out of the fog.  Helmets are required and provided. 

Before we went, I saw a review from someone who was disappointed that they couldn't ride at their own speed as they were avid bikers.  It doesn't sound like this fits the original poster, just mentioning it for anyone else reading this.  You stay in line, no passing, no riding ahead (or behind) the guides.  

Bike ride.jpg

I was looking at this but husband hates lines and loves speed.  He would not be happy.

We actually rented e bikes in Skagway in 2022, and, although we didn't go where this excursion went, we had a wonderful time.  Did about 30 miles total for the day.  It may be an option for the independent loner types.

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

After having a daughter who had a fractured skull and a subdermal hematoma from riding a bike without a helmet when she was 9, I never go without mine.  And neither do others in my biking club.  

To each his or her own.  I wouldn't mandate or legislate that people not wear helmets, I just don't believe it should be mandated that I do.  Same for seat belts...