Crown Princess

6 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Morning all,

For all that know a lot more than me, I am told Crown Princess will dock in Cairns? What do you think?. Thanks

The Ports North Cruise Ship Schedule has her docked in Cairns.Ā 

Cairns Cruise Ship Schedule

33 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Morning all,

For all that know a lot more than me, I am told Crown Princess will dock in Cairns? What do you think?. Thanks

Ā 

She is 290m long. Many ships that length have already docked in Cairns.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Anything under 300m will fit.

They also have to be able to turn in that part of the river. That may be the limiting factor not the ship size fitting the wharf.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We were on Celebrity Solstice in 2018 and had to anchor out at Yorkeys knob as it was too big to dock in Cairns

Crowns Princess holds more passengers that Solstice, so I assumed it was a larger ship, but obviously not if it is able to Dock in Cairns

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cunard had the Queen Elisabeth there she is 294m back in 2020, just before Covid.

Coral Princess is about the same size and it looked a bit tight for her to turn around.Ā 

Ā 

But Crown is actually a bit shorter in length than Coral so will fit easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

We were on Celebrity Solstice in 2018 and had to anchor out at Yorkeys knob as it was too big to dock in Cairns

Crowns Princess holds more passengers that Solstice, so I assumed it was a larger ship, but obviously not if it is able to Dock in Cairns

Crown is an extended Grand class ship - they added an extra deck when they built her so larger upwards not lengthwise.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Crown is an extended Grand class ship - they added an extra deck when they built her so larger upwards not lengthwise.

ok thanks - I thought adding an extra deck would mean more weight.... meaning the ship is heavier? but obviously size is the issue when docking in Cairns

Pacific Encounter is a Grand class (ex Star Princess) and is 290m long. She regularly docks at Cairns and I haven't heard of any problems and certainly didn't notice any when we docked in Cairns last year.

• Like 2

She has port entries that also confirm she will be docking in Cairns. Sister ships Pac Encounter, Pac Adventure and Grand Princess have previously docked in Cairns. Both Diamond and Crown will add to that list next season.

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

ok thanks - I thought adding an extra deck would mean more weight.... meaning the ship is heavier? but obviously size is the issue when docking in Cairns

Length and beam at and below the waterline (not LOA) are the main restrictions. There is plenty of room above the waterline and the wharf is large enough to accept two of these ships at the same time.

Ā 

It is the width of the dredged shipping channel and the area of the dredged turning basin that restricts what ships can visit. There has been work done 5 - 10 years ago to increase the size of the channel & turning basin. Prior to that, even Pacific Dawn would tender from Yorkeys. She could physically fit in Cairns, but her design made it difficult to navigate the tight channel. Back in her earlier days as Regal Princess, she drifted out of the channel and was briefly stuck.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Length and beam at and below the waterline (not LOA) are the main restrictions. There is plenty of room above the waterline and the wharf is large enough to accept two of these ships at the same time.

Ā 

It is the width of the dredged shipping channel and the area of the dredged turning basin that restricts what ships can visit. There has been work done 5 - 10 years ago to increase the size of the channel & turning basin. Prior to that, even Pacific Dawn would tender from Yorkeys. She could physically fit in Cairns, but her design made it difficult to navigate the tight channel. Back in her earlier days as Regal Princess, she drifted out of the channel and was briefly stuck.

Geoff, Another question for you, what Princess ships that sail in Aust has a concierge lounge?. I know Majestic and Royal do, but what about Crown and Diamond. PS I am getting used to it unfortunately!šŸ˜©

35 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Geoff, Another question for you, what Princess ships that sail in Aust has a concierge lounge?. I know Majestic and Royal do, but what about Crown and Diamond. PS I am getting used to it unfortunately!šŸ˜©

I think it's only the Royal Class ships plus the new Sun Princess.Ā 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Yes, It started with Royal class, so it was Royal & Majestic this season, next season it will be just Royal Princess. In 2025/26 it will be Discovery Princess.

• Like 1