Recommendations - Lightweight Travel Backpack for Senior Female

My mom (senior), is looking for a new lightweight travel backpack that she can use as her carry-on for the airplane.  She is looking for something that has a padded section for her iPad, exterior waterbottle pocket, a few compartments for organization, a light coloured lining or interior so things are easily found, a separate pocket for a cellphone and/or keys would be great.  She also wants something that she can carry comfortably.   She doesn't use any wheeled carry-on luggage because for her, getting it overhead to put into an overhead airplane compartment isn't an option.  Any recommendations from travellers would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you all in advance!

I know that asking for help to stow your rollaboard is a topic fraught with danger, but I'll just put in my 2 cents here.  My shoulders have been 'troubled' for years.  Just putting my hands over my head can be painful.  I travel too much to not use a rollaboard ... those long airport walks!  NOT ONCE in 20 years has anyone not either come forward immediately or failed to say yes when I ask for assistance hoisting my rollaboard into the overhead.  On a flight from Houston a few months ago, the PILOT came along and stowed  it for me.  I think that ladies over 70 (even tho I'm 6' tall and not 'feeble') deserve some assistance and I've never had anyone who wasn't happy to help.  I have a travel cube with all the stuff I might need on the flight which I stow under the seat in front of me.  Getting the thing down isn't too difficult, and I'm often asked if I want help with that as well.  When my joints started to go, it took me about 6 years to learn to say "Why yes, I'd love some help".  People are happy to help; I never hesitate to help someone at the airport if I can physically do so.  Profuse thanks are always appreciated.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cruisepro19 said:

My mom (senior), is looking for a new lightweight travel backpack that she can use as her carry-on for the airplane.  She is looking for something that has a padded section for her iPad, exterior waterbottle pocket, a few compartments for organization, a light coloured lining or interior so things are easily found, a separate pocket for a cellphone and/or keys would be great.  She also wants something that she can carry comfortably.   She doesn't use any wheeled carry-on luggage because for her, getting it overhead to put into an overhead airplane compartment isn't an option.  Any recommendations from travellers would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you all in advance!

Take a look at Tom Bihn.  They have a few options that satisfy her requirements, and all of their products are both lightweight and indestructible.  (Physical location in Seattle, but most all their business is done on line.  TomBihn.com)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisepro19 said:

Thank you aungrl, much appreciated. I'll have a look and see if they also ship to Canada.  

They do, but there's an up charge that I've seen Canadians post about on their forums...it seems to me that it might be a little pricey, now that you mention it.  Across the U.S., it's a flat $10. charge, which is reasonable.  Good luck!

11 hours ago, cruisepro19 said:

Thank you aungrl, much appreciated. I'll have a look and see if they also ship to Canada.  

If she does decide on a backpack only, Rick Steves' sold me one about 15 years ago that still looks like new, even after about 45 trips.  It's unstructured with 3 main compartments ... almost weightless.

I can highly recommend these backpacks for travel.  

https://orilondon.com/collections/canfield-backpacks

I have the small that I use.  They are made from recycled plastics so environmentally friendly.  My daughter was so impressed with mine that she’s bought two (one large and one small).  The small easily carries my iPad and the large holds a 15” laptop.

Catherine

On 4/20/2024 at 3:18 PM, cruisepro19 said:

She doesn't use any wheeled carry-on luggage because for her, getting it overhead to put into an overhead airplane compartment isn't an option.

They make wheeled luggage that fits UNDER the seat in front of you! 

https://www.amazon.com/KROSER-Underseat-Multi-functional-Underseater-Lightweight/dp/B0C98J9983/

I also got this travel backpack:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4NR9TBW/

But of course, one of these would have to go overhead...

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 3:18 PM, cruisepro19 said:

My mom (senior), is looking for a new lightweight travel backpack that she can use as her carry-on for the airplane.

Note, just in case you end up looking at eBags backpacks, such as the "Professional Slim" line, they are NOT lightweight! We own both sizes and never use them. They are bomb-proof for protection, but weigh about half as much empty as full! (Well, maybe 1/3, but way too much.)

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/travel/pro-slim-weekender/117783XXXX.html?dwvar_117783XXXX_color=Black&cgid=travel-backpacks

I spent several months last year looking for a travel backpack that was smaller than the maximum carry-on size.  I ended up going with the Patagonia Black Hole Mini MLC 30L bag.  I’ve been super happy with it.  It weighs less than 3 lbs, has a laptop sleeve, exterior water bottle pocket, and I really like the organization overall.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/black-hole-mini-mlc-convertible-backpack-30-liters/195699382879.html

• Like 2

On 4/20/2024 at 5:18 PM, cruisepro19 said:

My mom (senior), is looking for a new lightweight travel backpack that she can use as her carry-on for the airplane ... 

I personally like Osprey backpacks, but -- given that they have lots of pockets and zippers -- they aren't known for being lightweight. 

One tip:  If she finds a pack that she likes except that it lacks a padded section for the iPad, she could opt for a padded zippered pouch that could slide into the backpack.  

On 4/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, awhfy said:

I’d suggest a one shoulder travelon crossbody bag instead

I particularly like my Healthy Back Bags by AmeriBag.  I have one in medium and one in large.  The large could work as a carry-on, if you're a bit on the minimalist side.

I have a serious bag addiction.   So many different bags for using, not nearly enough time and travel to use them all!

I'll say to go and take a look at the Cotopaxi bags.  Very lightweight.  Different ones have padded sections for your electronics, places for a water bottle.  And, very brightly colored so that you can pick it out quickly!!   

• Like 1