Park 19 on the Sun Princess

4 hours ago, Leo37 said:

I should add: the sports court also open. No basketball hoop (or Tennis / racket sport nets), but does have outdoor games and equipment: think giant Connect 4, children's trikes etc

18 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Princess, what are you thinking?

No sports nets, basketball, tennis, pickleball, cornhole, golf putting green......

Yeah, giant Connect 4 will make up for that. 🙄

That's not a sports court, it's a playground!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Princess, what are you thinking?

No sports nets, basketball, tennis, pickleball, cornhole, golf putting green......

Yeah, giant Connect 4 will make up for that. 🙄

The NCL Prima Class and Prima Plus Class ships have a dedicated fenced in pickleball court.  And these ships are 35 K tons smaller than the Sphere Class

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The NCL Prima Class and Prima Plus Class ships have a dedicated fenced in pickleball court.  And these ships are 35 K tons smaller than the Sphere Class

HAL is the official cruise line of the PPA ...

• Haha 1

https://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/news-section/more-news-category/10838-princess-cruises-statement-on-sun-princess-park19

Princess Cruises has announced the following statement:

"We regret to announce that Princess is unable to accept delivery of the RollGlider, Coastal Climb, and Ropes Course features within Park19 aboard Sun Princess and those experiences will not be opening. We are actively evaluating these areas for future recreational opportunities to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests."

published today I think

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, colsky said:

https://cruisebusiness.com/index.php/news-section/more-news-category/10838-princess-cruises-statement-on-sun-princess-park19

"We regret to announce that Princess is unable to accept delivery of the RollGlider, Coastal Climb, and Ropes Course features within Park19 aboard Sun Princess and those experiences will not be opening. We are actively evaluating these areas for future recreational opportunities to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all our guests."

published today I think

Disappointing but at least now we all have closure knowing these will not be opening. 

Now to decide if we still want to set sail on the Sun Princess with our kids over Thanksgiving! (I'm guessing the answer will be yes)

8 minutes ago, colsky said:

published today I think

Wow, thanks for sharing this. What a mess, not what I expected but it’s about time Princess actually put out a statement about it instead of hiding. Embarrassing for Princess, expensive mistake that took the better part of a year to realize. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kit6 said:

Wow, thanks for sharing this. What a mess, not what I expected but it’s about time Princess actually put out a statement about it instead of hiding. Embarrassing for Princess, expensive mistake that took the better part of a year to realize. 

And it will now be compounded by the dry dock required for the removal of the Roll Glider, Coastal Climb and Ropes Course.  It's a conundrum in the making.  Can't really just leave it as it is, and the removal could take two weeks or longer to remove and retrofit.  This would also involve the cancellations because of the dry dock as well as the OBC given to cruisers to sweeten the pot to make up for the inconvenience.  

Why am I not surprised?  The Sun Princess was a day late and a dollar short from the get go.  I hope Princess already has something lined up for that area on Star coming out in a little over a year.  

4 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

And it will now be compounded by the dry dock required for the removal of the Roll Glider, Coastal Climb and Ropes Course.  It's a conundrum in the making.  Can't really just leave it as it is, and the removal could take two weeks or longer to remove and retrofit.  This would also involve the cancellations because of the dry dock as well as the OBC given to cruisers to sweeten the pot to make up for the inconvenience.  

Dry dock? To do work on deck 19 almost 200 feet above the waterline? Dry dock is for work below the waterline; everything else can be done just about anywhere with adequate equipment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Dry dock? To do work on deck 19 almost 200 feet above the waterline? Dry dock is for work below the waterline; everything else can be done just about anywhere with adequate equipment.

Larry, call it what you want.  In order for the removal of everything involved, I will assume it's not something that can be done on the TA.  There will probably need to be a shutdown in order for the removal and installation of whatever is replacing it.  I say dry dock because that's what's it called when the ship goes in for refurbishment.  Call it what you want, but like I said I don't think that they can go and hang up some plastic and remove everything on the fly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Good,, stop trying to turn yourselves into Carnival and RC.

What a disaster.

Don't think they were trying to turn themselves into Carnival or Royal at all 

Granted, they dropped the ball big time and screwed up, but at the same time all they were doing was adding an aspect to the ship that would appeal to multigenerational cruisers.  If the old school guard of Princess cruiser didn't like it, no one is twisting their arm to sail on the Sphere Class.  Just like some old time cruisers will never sail on the Royal Class.  There are still a plethora of choices in the fleet as well as elsewhere for them to cruise on.

If cruise lines remain stagnant and keep churning out the same exact ships, it could cost them in the long run.

• Like 6

So where was the formal release of this from Princess??   The article on cruisebusiness.com seems to be the only source I can find google searching.  No info on the Princess news release page.  Was this info sent out to TA's?   

Just trying to find a second source for this info, anyone find one? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dns65 said:

So where was the formal release of this from Princess??   The article on cruisebusiness.com seems to be the only source I can find google searching.  No info on the Princess news release page.  Was this info sent out to TA's?   

Just trying to find a second source for this info, anyone find one? 

Cruise fever posted it as well, on their FB page and their website 

https://cruisefever.net/new-features-on-princess-cruises-newest-ship-will-not-be-opening/

1 minute ago, FLAlaska said:

https://cruisefever.net/new-features-on-princess-cruises-newest-ship-will-not-be-opening/

Looks like they say the statement was sent directly to them by Princess. 

"Princess Cruises sent the following statement to Cruise Fever:"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Maybe they will add that now?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

They rehashed the same info as the other source.  Where is the Princess source? 

Not saying this is fake but why did a couple cruise blogs get this but no mention from Princess on website, social media, emails to customers and TA's with bookings, etc...  

-

17 minutes ago, dns65 said:

Not saying this is fake but why did a couple cruise blogs get this but no mention from Princess on website, social media, emails to customers and TA's with bookings, etc...  

-

I agree with your healthy skepticism but Cruise Fever said the information came directly from Princess.

I'm not saying they're right, but they'd be doubling down on a bold-faced lie to say that if its not true (vs. crediting the source to another blog or whatever).

20 minutes ago, dns65 said:

-

Because it's embarrassing to Princess. They have an obligation to announce it but they want to keep it as quiet as possible. So they send it to a media outlets but are otherwise quiet about it (why would you trumpet bad news on social media?). The website is more about promoting the brand. And keep in mind that in the pre-Internet days, press releases were they way all news about a company was disseminated. 

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Isn't this space above the current sanctuary area?  yep, if so, then that's a perfect place for a pickleball court ...🙄

Only one end of it, probably to be allocated to the lowly DO category 😉