Park 19 on the Sun Princess

1 hour ago, dbowe5 said:

Can anyone who has been on the ship confirm what, if anything, is actually open on Park 19?

Is there a sports court or any activities open?

The deck plans are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I am on right now. There are some giant Connect 4 games and some tricycles randomly placed around (like the kind found on a kindergarten playground). It was a ghost town up there. Pools and hot tubs are all full of kids because there is nothing else for them to do. I also saw a single ping pong table on the lido deck near the Lido Pizza stand. 

14 minutes ago, dbowe5 said:

Thanks for the update, so there is no sports court on there? Someone also said there was supposed to be cornhole?? On there - think that’s what we did at primary school sports day - throwing a bean bag into a hole?

There is no sports court at all. There may have been some bean bag corn hole games up there, and I know they had a crew vs guest corn hole competition which was up at park 19, but I didn’t go so I can’t give you any additional details about it. There is a foosball table and two skee-ball lanes (the arcade game) in the kids area for pre teens, none of either in the area for older teens. 

34 minutes ago, dbowe5 said:

Thanks for the update, so there is no sports court on there? Someone also said there was supposed to be cornhole?? On there - think that’s what we did at primary school sports day - throwing a bean bag into a hole?

Nope, no sports court. No basketball or pickle ball.There is an area enclosed with netting where there is cornhole and tricycles.

Eight times around the track is a mile (well maybe a tad more than a mile but close enough). It's not posted but after 24 laps around (while in port) my GPS tracker logged just over three miles.

There is a kids spash pad at the forward end of Park 19 but it's turned off like everything else.

Hammocks! OMG, I almost forgot, you can use the hammocks!

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 1

Wow, I thought the netting area was a sports court. Didn’t think any ship would have pretty much nothing in terms of outdoor activity areas. I think they need to decide if they want families on the ship or not - it’s pleasing no one at the minute.

RCI is our go to and nothing I’ve seen pre-cruise is going to change that, jeez I think I’d even pick Costa ahead of this shower and they managed to sink a ship!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

So really No outside sports court to speak of?  No basketball or Pickleball?

No putting,or golf area either? 🙈

The Park 19 area is Princess's first attempt at providing some stuff for families.  Golf and basketball are available on Carnival and RCI.  Pickleball is available on HA, some NCL and some Carnival.  

It's been reported that the area won't officially open until October when it's in the Caribbean when certain aspects can pass inspection.

Princess dropped the ball on this obviously, but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dbowe5 said:

Can anyone who has been on the ship confirm what, if anything, is actually open on Park 19?

Is there a sports court or any activities open?

The deck plans are about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Nothing is open. There are some hammocks and the tilt wall.
Thats it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The Park 19 area is Princess's first attempt at providing some stuff for families.  Golf and basketball are available on Carnival and RCI.  Pickleball is available on HA, some NCL and some Carnival.  

It's been reported that the area won't officially open until October when it's in the Caribbean when certain aspects can pass inspection.

FYI Pickleball is available on the Island.

Edited by Aggie83
Spelling

18 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

All Princess ships, except Sun, have sports courts with basketball hoop and equipment, tennis and pickleball equipment, etc .

They also all (or the vast majority) have a putting green "mini" golf course type area, usually higher decks or aft high deck.  Caribbean, at least , has a kids splash pad with short (short) slide, and a kiddie race track outside the kids club, etc.  There's arcades. Kids clubs. They've had escape rooms. 

This isn't Princess's first foray into being family friendly.. this Park 19, definitely dropped the ball in the rollout. Par for the course with the entire Sun debut.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

All Princess ships, except Sun, have sports courts with basketball hoop and equipment, tennis and pickleball equipment, etc .

They also all (or the vast majority) have a putting green "mini" golf course type area, usually higher decks or aft high deck.  Caribbean, at least , has a kids splash pad with short (short) slide, and a kiddie race track outside the kids club, etc.  There's arcades. Kids clubs. They've had escape rooms. 

This isn't Princess's first foray into being family friendly.. this Park 19, definitely dropped the ball in the rollout. Par for the course with the entire Sun debut.   

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding whether this is Princess's first foray or not 

The few items you mentioned are a drop in the bucket compared to the family oriented stuff available on Carnival, MSC, NCL and RCI.  The minimum stuff that Princess provides is comparable to what is available on X.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

I recently booked us on Sun, wanting to try out this new ship since shes been around

the block alittle now. 

We don't like sailing on new ships too soon, as there's always kinks to be worked out.

Didn't know Sun was missing so much to do outside?😏

Not all of us are pool people.

2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

On the rest of the fleet, if you don't like lounging, pooling or hot tubbing, there's not much to do outside either.

I think weve been on every ship in the fleet, some several times, and find other things to do.

Just look for the nets!  Or faux grass..... golf, putting, cornhole, yada.

But sounds like Sun doesn't really have anything now, or planned.

Thats disappointing.

• Like 1