Keeping Seapass in wallet?

GreenDice

I understand that I need to scan my seapass via RFID to open cabin door, etc.  Will I need to hand my seapass off or show it to someone for other purposes? I am planning to get a credit card holder for my iPhone. Not sure if I need to get one that is transparent.

Thanks in advance.

Yes for some things like shops and Cafe Al Bacio they swipe your card.  Drinks you are often asked to show your card, as it indicates whether or not you have a beverage package, and if so what package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you need Sea Pass as Jelayne mentioned, but also  plus for getting on and off the ship, going through security at ports reentering to dock area, to shop in the stores, the bars or pool deck ordering a beverage, even water.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Yes for some things like shops and Cafe Al Bacio they swipe your card.  

Do they actual swipe? I thought they use RFID.

10 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Drinks you are often asked to show your card, as it indicates whether or not you have a beverage package, and if so what package.

I guess I will get the transparent card holder so that they can see it.

42 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I have been asked for the physical card by the bartenders and I have observed others handing the actual card to them.  

46 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

RFID (radio frequency identification) is not used. That would mean a higher and more expensive level of technology.    

A see through card holder is not good enough. The card will have to be removed to enable a swipe.   I would suggest a RFID protected holder when going ashore though. 

• Like 1

I have a credit card holder for my iPhone and have no problem pulling it in  & back in when needed and mine is not transparent.  You do have to remove it to get off the ship and back on.

18 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I’ve been on four Celebrity cruises and have never once had my card “swiped”. 
More like tap to pay type set up. 

Are you saying you tapped your card or using RFID you showed it to them from a short distance/had it read in your pocket.

Swiped simply means read/tapped or ?? to most.

22 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Swiped simply means read/tapped or ?? to most.

Here is one description that differentiates swiping vs tap/RFID:

"Contactless cards use radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, allowing you to tap your card to pay for your purchases, rather than swiping or inserting the card into a payment terminal."

Swiping, to me, is sliding the card through a magnetic strip reader.

17 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

Here is one description that differentiates swiping vs tap/RFID:

"Contactless cards use radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, allowing you to tap your card to pay for your purchases, rather than swiping or inserting the card into a payment terminal."

Swiping, to me, is sliding the card through a magnetic strip reader.

Where you keep it is up to you, just be prepared to hand it off quite frequently.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreenDice said:

Newer ships with better technology? I will be on Apex next month.

Newer ships use NFC Seapass cards which is TAP. You have to take it out and tap. Tap is not RFID. RFID is dated tech, not secure. Your tap credit cards use NFC. 

Edited by Charles4515

And often the waiter will just look at your card, but remember that it only shows the last three digits of your room number so then they will ask you what floor it is on or what is the complete number.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Who carries a wallet around the ship?  Not me…

I should have been clearer in the title. What I intended was a credit card holder that attaches to the back of the iPhone. Not a traditional wallet. I found serval that work with NFC, i.e. no RFID blocking. I would be able to tap without removing the seapass.

Edited by GreenDice

34 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

I should have been clearer in the title. What I intended was a credit card holder that attaches to the back of the iPhone. Not a traditional wallet. I found serval that work with NFC, i.e. no RFID blocking. I would be able to tap without removing the seapass.

Yes you stated this in your original post.  Go for it and still be prepared to remove it and hand it over multiple times each day.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GreenDice said:

The problem with your thinking is that you are not going to be the one tapping. They will be taking your card to a reader and tapping. 

• Like 2

A clear card holder should work. I used a clear lanyard and they were still able to tap the card everywhere on the ship. I was asked to physically remove it in a couple of ports though.

• Like 1

If you order a drink from a waiter in the buffet, then they need to take the actual card away with them and they then bring it back with your drinks.

• Like 2

In your cabin there will be a little sea pass/ credit card holder.    It has 3 slots.   If you lose it GR will replace it and void the other card.  I always keep my  pass in that when on board and leave my wallet in the safe.   I have found that the door can be opened with the card inside the holder.   No need to take out for that 

When going on shore I will also take that holder.    I will also put my passport card, credit  card and some cash in it.   That is all I need.   My wallet stays in the safe.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅