Family Cruise Ruined by TA

As a thought…

Many insurance policies that cover House, Property, Companies, Life and Car etc., have an additional premium to cover Legal Assistance.  
If having Legal Assistance Cover, immediately contact one’s Insurers, for the potential claim advice, in first instance.  Then, if the advice is that a claim will have plus 51% minimum chance of success, then one will be passed to a Legal team appointed by one’s insurers.

For information, for those considering paying an additional premium, the premium is quite small in relation to the cost of a Solicitor or a KC.  
Would recommend this to all on CC, because one will never know if, or when, Legal Assistance is needed.

46 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As a thought…

Many insurance policies that cover House, Property, Companies, Life and Car etc., have an additional premium to cover Legal Assistance.

I'll have to double check, but that may be something in your country, I'm not sure it is in the US.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As a thought…

If having Legal Assistance Cover, immediately contact one’s Insurers, for the potential claim advice, in first instance.  Then, if the advice is that a claim will have plus 51% minimum chance of success, then one will be passed to a Legal team appointed by one’s insurers.

For information, for those considering paying an additional premium, the premium is quite small in relation to the cost of a Solicitor or a KC.  
Would recommend this to all on CC, because one will never know if, or when, Legal Assistance is needed.

This is interesting.  Is this legal assistance coverage available for any legal issue or for those relating to a covered peril?  Our typical personal liability coverages provide legal defense but only if it is for something that is covered by the policy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

This is interesting.  Is this legal assistance coverage available for any legal issue or for those relating to a covered peril?  Our typical personal liability coverages provide legal defense but only if it is for something that is covered by the policy. 

One has used LA for a botched repair to a one’s property, under the house insurance policy, with all surveyors costs paid by the policy.  Not a penny was spent by oneself.  
One’s Solicitors Legal costs were recovered by the instructed Solicitors.

Again with an injury sustained on a RC ship etc.. No upfront costs, all medical reports, Court Fees etc., recovery of Ship medical bills etc., plus consequential losses, damages and compensation were recovered by Insurers Legal Team.  All without any personal outlay 

Think it’s best to speak with one’s insurers regaling any scope and coverage of their policies.  Different Insurers have different policies.

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

s a thought…

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I'll have to double check, but that may be something in your country, I'm not sure it is in the US.

Interesting issue!

I don't think this is customary in the US, but of course, there could be specialized policies.

However, more and more employers are adding a perk of some legal assistance, along with medical/etc.  The legal assistance is through a network of attorneys who have agreed to participate, such as "MetLife Legal" or "Hyatt Legal" (our plan changed from the latter to the former this past year).

Mostly, it's for a specified list of uses, such as for wills/trusts, real estate closings, etc.

But starting in 2024, they added an extra specified amount for "other".  It wouldn't go very far, but it would probably cover a meeting (or two?) and some sort of "warning letter".  (The recipient wouldn't know that the covered legal services have just about run out, right? 😉 )

I guess IF one had that type of employee benefit, one could see if it might be useful.

GC

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One has used LA for a botched repair to a one’s property, under the house insurance policy, with all surveyors costs paid by the policy.  Not a penny was spent by oneself.  

Again with an injury sustained on a RC ship etc.. No upfront costs, all medical reports, Court Fees etc., recovery of Ship medical bills etc., plus consequential losses, damages and compensation were recovered by Insurers Legal Team.  All without any personal outlay 

Think it’s best to speak with one’s insurers regaling any scope and coverage of their policies.  Different Insurers have different policies.

Thanks.  It seems coverage parts are different in our two countries.  In my country, homeowners insurance coverage wording is fairly standardized.  I'll preface my following comments with I agree completely one should always check with their insurer.   Here, if a contractor caused a covered loss, the insurer would remedy the loss with the policyholder, then the insurer has subrogation rights against the contractor.  Additionally, even if the OP's TA problem were considered covered under the policy for theft, which I doubt, a relatively low internal limit would apply.  I just don't think a typical American homeowners insurance policy would respond to a situation like the OP experienced.  

We can offer no help to the Op other than to try and get Elliot.org in the case.  Unfortunately, the OP made some classics mistakes.  1. Only pay for a cruise reservation with a major credit card.  And 2. Carefully vett any agency.  Legit agencies will want a major credit card, which is actually processed by the Cruise Line.  

When you use a legit agency, the reservation number should show on the cruise line site within minutes.  You should also receive a detailed invoice from the agency.  Using PayPal or other such third party payment sites is a big no-no as you will likely lose the protection afforded by Federal Law and also not have the ability to use the credit card charge-back option.  

We hope it works out for the OP, but “hope” is not as good as law.

Hank

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OK, my bad. Isn't there a law firm that does specialize in going after cruise lines? I guess I confused Elliot with them. 

You're probably thinking of Jim Walker.  He specializes in suing cruise lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1