Transfer - Airport to Hotel

ropomo

I have a D2D cruise coming up and have my own air and therefore do not get the airport to hotel transfer included. My flight gets in at a time Silversea will be greeting passengers with included transfers. Will it be possible to purchase the transfer at the airport on arrival? I have a "boatload" of OBC and this would be an ideal way to use some of it. The flight is into KEF and private transfers to the city can be pricey.

KEF is super easy for getting to town.  Almost everyone uses the Flybus or Flybus+ service.  Private transfers at KEF are mostly used by folks who enjoy setting Benjamins on fire. (Meaning you'll pay about 10x the Flybus)

With both the SS transfer or the Flybus, you'll be on a nice bus for a comfortable ride.  One nice thing about Flybus is that they run pretty much continuously, plus they have excellent wifi onboard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks, I am aware of Flybus and was planning to use them if I can't get SS transfer. My question still remains, can I expect to be able to obtain a SS transfer under my circumstances. This is an expedition cruise so there are only limited ways to use OBC (La Dame, laundry, spa, boutique, etc.) I have $1200 in OBC and would like to use it all.

Edit, we have been to KEF before and are aware of its location, etc.

Edited by ropomo

Me to £1000 OBC on our next cruise.

I understand why the mainstream cruise lines offer OBC as a incentive where upon you have to pay for drinks and most other things, but SS is virtually ultra all inclusive and has most things covered.

I would rather SS reduce the basic price of the cruise itself rather than give OBC which can be difficult to spend when you have so much of it!

6 hours ago, ropomo said:

I have a D2D cruise coming up and have my own air and therefore do not get the airport to hotel transfer included. My flight gets in at a time Silversea will be greeting passengers with included transfers. Will it be possible to purchase the transfer at the airport on arrival? I have a "boatload" of OBC and this would be an ideal way to use some of it. The flight is into KEF and private transfers to the city can be pricey.

Maybe try emailing Silver Shore Concierge shoreconcierge@silversea.com (they're based in Monaco office). Not sure if they will reply to that email (I've received shore excursion changes from them) but worth a try! 

8 hours ago, ropomo said:

I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to purchase the transfer at the airport, but could be wrong.  You should be able to book it in advance though. However, being pre-cruise, I doubt OBC can be applied.  A good idea is to ask the shore concierge as recommended above.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, mklions said:

Me to £1000 OBC on our next cruise.

I understand why the mainstream cruise lines offer OBC as a incentive where upon you have to pay for drinks and most other things, but SS is virtually ultra all inclusive and has most things covered.

I would rather SS reduce the basic price of the cruise itself rather than give OBC which can be difficult to spend when you have so much of it!

Often OBC is given by the booking agent out of their commission, though if it’s able to give so much, there certainly is room for price drops! lol

OP, I’d think it unlikely you would be able to do what you request, especially if you are not using the same hotel that SS are using.

On my last visit to Reykjavik, we paid for flybus with local bus hotel drop offs (which luckily drops us right outside our hotel. On the morning of boarding (we stayed quite near the opera house) we waited a few minutes at the taxi stand opposite the hotel and the 15 minute or so journey was about £20.

However, it is possible to contact the ship and see what can be done. You might be in luck. Your agent should be able to tell you the Hotels they’ve used and see if you are close by.

Edit…. Apologies, I’ve noticed you meant from the airport. Try speaking to the ship or your SS agent to see if possible. I suspect it may be possible to travel, but unlikely they would except your OBC…. But unless you ask and press the point, you’ll never know.

Have to agree on the usefulness of the OBC. The shops content since Covid has definitely got more expensive. Ours was always used by my wife on Swarovski jewellery which is no longer available. So armed with about $800 and no prices on display, she chose a pair of earrings she liked… until informed the price was $22,000. 

Obviously one option is the non included excursions or spa.

Edited by les37b

Our experience with the FlyBus was that they took us from the airport to the bus station and we changed buses to get to our hotel.  It was fine except that we had to handle our own luggage at the bus station.  It was January and was pitch dark and sleeting so not a positive after the flight.  Different hotels and different times of the year might be a different experience.

1 hour ago, caradara said:

Our experience with the FlyBus was that they took us from the airport to the bus station and we changed buses to get to our hotel.  It was fine except that we had to handle our own luggage at the bus station.  It was January and was pitch dark and sleeting so not a positive after the flight.  Different hotels and different times of the year might be a different experience.

In January, it's almost always pitch dark. 😀

Some hotels are continuations of the bus from the airport.  And I have always been able to find someone who will help with luggage if needed.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:37 PM, FlyerTalker said:

KEF is super easy for getting to town.  Almost everyone uses the Flybus or Flybus+ service.  Private transfers at KEF are mostly used by folks who enjoy setting Benjamins on fire. (Meaning you'll pay about 10x the Flybus)

With both the SS transfer or the Flybus, you'll be on a nice bus for a comfortable ride.  One nice thing about Flybus is that they run pretty much continuously, plus they have excellent wifi onboard.

2 hours ago, saminina said:

Wish I had know of FlyBus last year.  Took a taxi, which SS reimbursed. 

Doesn't the Flybus take you to a Reykjavik bus terminal, and then you have to get a taxi to hotel or ship?

6 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Doesn't the Flybus take you to a Reykjavik bus terminal, and then you have to get a taxi to hotel or ship?

You get the Flybus+ service to your hotel.  Or, a taxi if you wish.

All explained at their website.

2 hours ago, saminina said:

Wish I had know of FlyBus last year.  Took a taxi, which SS reimbursed. 

Research.  Which we all should do before every trip we take.  Not at all difficult with internet resources at hand.

4 hours ago, saminina said:

When they promise meet and drive from airport, research goes out the window.

Even when promised something, perhaps having backup contingency planning is in order?

As you now well know.