Some thoughts from Japan

Apologies for lack of posts from Japan in the last few days. As you know, being on board is hectic. Just a few spare

minutes between courses though to post a picture of the lunch I’m currently enjoying-Lunch and Learn , food and wine pairing with some input as we go from the head waiter and head sommelier. 

IMG_7616.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The Food sounds scrumptious.

I would pass on the Chardonnays, the others sound okay.

How were they all?

The whites were okay if a little young and acidic- I don’t usually drink white so I wasn’t all that excited about trying them. The reds were okay except that I think we’re spoilt in Australia for reasonably priced, very good wine. It was interesting to compare the three types, side by side. 
The dessert wine was very interesting though. I’d never heard of an ice wine (actually grown in the snow and harvested in the dark of night). Very concentrated moisture in the grape and so you get the sweet intensity that way. It was really tasty and I’d happily drink its sultana-y sweetness again. 

They then had a ceremony of smashing of the lid of a sake barrel in the lobby in celebration of the maiden voyage of Cunard’s Queen Anne. I understand she sails into Southampton today for the start of that voyage. We were all offered a glass of sake which to be honest I’d always avoided trying in the past. It’s unusual but not unpleasant. I have to get myself to the Captain’s cocktail party before dinner, for World Club members (their loyalty programme) so I’m loading up on water right now so I’m not too tired and emotional by the time I get to dinner. 

• Like 2

Also bigger on Reds than whites but don't mind some Pinot Gris, Reislings, Sav Blancs or Moscatos being sociable. We call them late harvest wines here, some Canberra wineries are doing them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Also bigger on Reds than whites but don't mind some Pinot Gris, Reislings, Sav Blancs or Moscatos being sociable. We call them late harvest wines here, some Canberra wineries are doing them.

Yes I’ve experienced quite a few late harvest and botrytis wines but I didn’t know about the third method of achieving the high sugar/flavour content which is harvesting in the snow! ‘Ice wine’ definitely a new one on me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes I’ve experienced quite a few late harvest and botrytis wines but I didn’t know about the third method of achieving the high sugar/flavour content which is harvesting in the snow! ‘Ice wine’ definitely a new one on me. 

Canada do some great ice wines, Kamloops BC,  especially.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Late harvest is different to a true ice wine. Both are "stickies" but the sugar levels are different. Ice wines aren't common in Australia but you get the odd one in NZ, mainly from Central Otago.

On 4/26/2024 at 5:28 PM, bazzaw said:

Did you see this clock in that general area?

IMG20240408121107.jpg

As a fan of Miyazaki films I made an effort to see the Ghibli clock😄. Did you get in time to see it play it's show? 

On 4/30/2024 at 6:11 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

We were all offered a glass of sake which to be honest I’d always avoided trying in the past. It’s unusual but not unpleasant. 

Personally I love sake, I would even pick it over wine😂. If you get an opportunity for tasting you will find they come in quite a few flavours like wine. Usually I go for the lighter sakes that are floral and fruity. 

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The ghibli museum is good acc9rding to my son

Unfortunately my visit coincided with it being closed, but it is definitely on the list if I ever return to Tokyo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Personally I love sake, I would even pick it over wine😂. If you get an opportunity for tasting you will find they come in quite a few flavours like wine. Usually I go for the lighter sakes that are floral and fruity. 

I really dislike whisky, love gin. Is Sake anything like whisky? 

17 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I wouldn't say it is like either, more like a vodka, however it really depends on the maker and also the strength and alcohol content as some are potent and others mild. 

11 minutes ago, Pushka said:

There are smoky sakes so they can be reminiscent of whiskey and there are some non traditional brewers who do age sake in whiskey barrels like wine producers but overall it doesn't really taste like whiskey. It doesn't have malt or hops so it is much lighter. If you have a sake that is higher on the floral notes it can be herbaceous like gin but it won't have the bitter notes you get from gin. It is a bit sweetish but in a savoury way if that makes sense? Should also add the alcohol content is much lower than spirits. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

There are smoky sakes so they can be reminiscent of whiskey and there are some non traditional brewers who do age sake in whiskey barrels like wine producers but overall it doesn't really taste like whiskey. It doesn't have malt or hops so it is much lighter. If you have a sake that is higher on the floral notes it can be herbaceous like gin but it won't have the bitter notes you get from gin. It is a bit sweetish but in a savoury way if that makes sense? Should also add the alcohol content is much lower than spirits. 

Might pop off to Dans later today. It sounds intriguing. 😂

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

The sake museum in Kobe has a wonderful Yuzu sake. It goes really well with fish - we brought a bottle home with us last year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 1:58 AM, MicCanberra said:

Late harvest and Ice Wine are actually 2 different things Mic. For Ice Wine the grapes are left on the vine and are literally frozen solid when they are picked in the dark (and cold) of night. Then they are crushed while still frozen and that is what makes it special. Even a cheap bottle of ice wine will set you back about $30.00 CDN for a half bottle and it goes up from there. Several of the wineries we have toured in the Okanagan have had late harvest wine and they all charge extra to taste it. The few that do ice wine charge even more for that, if they have a bottle open.

Sorry if I'm late off the mark I just started reading this thread.

Edited by Blackduck59

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ghibli 

I am old and I don't know what a Ghibli is!! But we saw this clock in our wanderings and saw that it played a few times per day so we came back at an appropriate time. I was more impressed by it's existence than by what it did. 🙂 But I have to admit that at my age, I am not easily impressed anymore.  What did impress me was that somebody paid for this installation for the public to see. We are both tight arsed and unimaginative in this country - if it doesn't produce a measurable positive  monetary outcome we don't want to know about  it!!!

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Late harvest and Ice Wine are actually 2 different things Mic. For Ice Wine the grapes are left on the vine and are literally frozen solid when they are picked in the dark (and cold) of night. Then they are crushed while still frozen and that is what makes it special. Even a cheap bottle of ice wine will set you back about $30.00 CDN for a half bottle and it goes up from there. Several of the wineries we have toured in the Okanagan have had late harvest wine and they all charge extra to taste it. The few that do ice wine charge even more for that, if they have a bottle open.

We had a friend in Quebec who brought out his ice wine stash when we visited - I had never even heard of it but I do now know it is created by the Gods!!! I also never knew what an "ice storm" was - it is certainly not what I imagined it to be.  

• Like 1

Just now, bazzaw said:

We had a friend in Quebec who brought out his ice wine stash when we visited - I had never even heard of it but I do now know it is created by the Gods!!! I also never knew what an "ice storm" was - it is certainly not what I imagined it to be.  

HINT - there is no storm and no ice falling from the sky! 

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The sake museum in Kobe has a wonderful Yuzu sake. It goes really well with fish - we brought a bottle home with us last year.

I know that I am NOT an alcoholic - because I do not/will not drink Sake!! 

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes, I know they have different picking times. By here, I meant Canberra region, as they do get to freeze but there isn't enough quantity so they are lumped in with Late Harvest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

I am old and I don't know what a Ghibli is…

I’m old too. I’m guessing it’s nothing to do with a desert wind. Was there a car, a Maserati Ghibli?

• Like 1