Live from Sky Princess - Norway Fjords, 8 days, April 27 to May 5

10 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

We will be on Sky Princess in 4 weeks.  Could you please advise whether there is a kettle and tea facilities in deluxe balcony cabins?  Thank you

@dronnygirlWe are in Deluxe Balcony, yes there is kettle and tea/coffee facilities.

15 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

We will be on Sky Princess in 4 weeks.  Could you please advise whether there is a kettle and tea facilities in deluxe balcony cabins?  Thank you

There is a kettle and tea/coffee in every cabin when sailing from the UK but I think they remove them when sailing from elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

Nearly home. Disembark tomorrow morning.

A few thoughts...

Sky Princess in in great shape IMO and it is obvious that the crew keep her that way. I have done 5 cruises now with my first just prior to covid and since then I have noticed no deterioration in her condition. 

The crew of this ship are just excellent and what makes it so special IMO. Nothing is too much trouble and always with a smile.

The food is some of the best I have had at sea. There is a lot of chat on this forum about dress code and IMO it is all just waffle. People dressed as they wanted with most in smart casual and no one that I saw was dressed in anything that could be offensive or distasteful. On formal night about 50% dressed up and the rest were quite smart casual. It all worked very well and without all the fuss that people make out on the forum. Personally, I can see no reason to have these "dress code" discussions as it is a total non-issue on board.

If there is a weak point then it is the bars IMO. The numbers of staff is significantly reduced and while the ones that are there do their best they are run off their feet and the level of service suffers. Also, there have been a few occasions when the ingredients for a particular drink was not available. I still enjoy the bars but the ambiance has changed and not for the better IMO.

The biggest improvement I saw was in showtime in the main theatre. We have seen all the shows this week and there wasn't a weak one there. A huge improvement on even our last cruise a year ago. I hope that trend continues.

So, all in all, a huge success IMO and well done to Princess. 

Edited by FancyPants21
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

One final thought... OceanNow...

It is a total waste of time. I so wanted it to work and to use it but after we tried a few times we just gave up and never used it again. Drinks would either not turn up at all indicating they were delivered when they were not or delivered to the wrong location, or the wait was up to an hour. That is not a viable service IMO and again, IMO, this service should be totally withdrawn until they can find a way to make it work consistently. I have heard others have a better experience but if they can't make it work most of the time then the service shouldn't be offered at all IMO.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FancyPants21 said:

Nearly home. Disembark tomorrow morning.

A few thoughts...

Sky Princess in in great shape IMO and it is obvious that the crew keep her that way. I have done 5 cruises now with my first just prior to covid and since then I have noticed no deterioration in her condition. 

The crew of this ship are just excellent and what makes it so special IMO. Nothing is too much trouble and always with a smile.

The food is some of the best I have had at sea. There is a lot of chat on this forum about dress code and IMO it is all just waffle. People dressed as they wanted with most in smart casual and no one that I saw was dressed in anything that could be offensive or distasteful. On formal night about 50% dressed up and the rest were quite smart casual. It all worked very well and without all the fuss that people make out on the forum. Personally, I can see no reason to have these "dress code" discussions as it is a total non-issue on board.

If there is a weak point then it is the bars IMO. The numbers of staff is significantly reduced and while the ones that are there do their best they are run off their feet and the level of service suffers. Also, there have been a few occasions when the ingredients for a particular drink was not available. I still enjoy the bars but the ambiance has changed and not for the better IMO.

The biggest improvement I saw was in showtime in the main theatre. We have seen all the shows this week and there wasn't a weak one there. A huge improvement on even our last cruise a year ago. I hope that trend continues.

So, all in all, a huge success IMO and well done to Princess. 

Thank so much for your report! The Sky has definitely become one of our favorite Princess ships and we are so looking forward to our cruise in June!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 5:16 PM, karatemom2 said:

Thank so much for your report! The Sky has definitely become one of our favorite Princess ships and we are so looking forward to our cruise in June!

Ditto that!

As far as Oceannow... I think its easier to order thru a Server when youre on deck.

He/she will find you.

Where Oceannow shines IMO, is when you are IN your cabin.

Also when you checkout on the app.... be sure to click on Your Cabin #.

NOT Location. 

You will get your drinks/food faster and it doesn't get lost.

But yeah, deliveries on deck and sometimes other locations than your cabin? 

Can be a crapshoot.  But we LUV it ordering from our cabin.

• Like 1

@FancyPants21 Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to do so. I appreciate the heads up regarding Nik Page, as Les Mis is one of my very favorite things in the world; and I also mean the book by Victor Hugo which was required reading in high school.

Can you comment on the Cruise Director and if she/ he will be continuing this June? The one we enjoyed last June on the Sky was fantastic, as well as his team!

Happy Sailing!

On 5/4/2024 at 11:29 AM, FancyPants21 said:

If there is a weak point then it is the bars IMO. The numbers of staff is significantly reduced

On 5/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, FancyPants21 said:

It is a total waste of time. I so wanted it to work and to use it but after we tried a few times we just gave up and never used it again. Drinks would either not turn up at all indicating they were delivered when they were not or delivered to the wrong location, or the wait was up to an hour. That is not a viable service IMO and again, IMO, this service should be totally withdrawn until they can find a way to make it work consistently. I have heard others have a better experience but if they can't make it work most of the time then the service shouldn't be offered at all IMO.

so no wait staff you use the medallion and wonder why there slow ? did I read that right

On 5/4/2024 at 2:34 PM, FancyPants21 said:

We had pretty good luck with it last February on the Regal. We mostly used it to order drinks. Sometimes it was a little slow but always eventually arrived. Beats standing in a line at a bar IMO. Thanks for the great Live.

• Like 2

Was on this cruise and had a really great time.

Sky Princess is a lovely ship and well maintained, our cabin steward was as is always the case, brilliant, so friendly and obliging. The only things I find slightly disappointing about the layout of the ship are: Good Spirits At Sea - very small when compared to how popular it is, much bigger on Regal. 

Take 5 - had the usual crowds of passengers coming through from the Theatre.

Only had a couple of problems with Ocean Now, one order never turned up and a couple took an age to deliver, but apart from that not too bad.

MDRs and standard of food both excellent, never had to wait long to get a table, same with Alfredos. The buffet had a good selection of food although got pretty crowded at times.

Norway has some stunning scenery and I thought going at this time of year was about the right time to still see snow, and we were blessed with some fantastic views made all the better by the weather. Took the Loen Skylift at Olden, so glad we did, for me it's a must do if only for the views at the top.

My wife and son did the Walking With Llamas excursion and absolutely loved it, even if Carlos (their Llama kept blowing in her ear).

Had already been to Alesund and Stavanger, but still did not disappoint this time around, especially the Ocean Aquarium at Alesund.

Not too disappointed at missing Haugesand as the alternative scenic cruise through the fjord was so beautiful.

All in all it was a fantastic time and one of our best holidays.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:47 PM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Ditto that!

As far as Oceannow... I think its easier to order thru a Server when youre on deck.

He/she will find you.

Where Oceannow shines IMO, is when you are IN your cabin.

Also when you checkout on the app.... be sure to click on Your Cabin #.

NOT Location. 

You will get your drinks/food faster and it doesn't get lost.

But yeah, deliveries on deck and sometimes other locations than your cabin? 

Can be a crapshoot.  But we LUV it ordering from our cabin.

Not always... we ordered 2 cocktails through OceanNow from our cabin, we selected "In your cabin #" as delivery location, waited 45 mins... checked on the app and it said delivered - to the Wakeview Bar!

A complete waste of time.

Edited by FancyPants21

On 5/9/2024 at 12:20 PM, Gail & Dan said:

so no wait staff you use the medallion and wonder why there slow ? did I read that right

No you don't have that right... no wait staff so I queue up at the bar along with everyone else!

I didn't ever use OceanNow from a bar and only used it a few of times before we gave up... once by the pool (didn't turn up), once by the pool and did turn up and once from in my cabin (didn't turn up but was delivered to the Wakeview Bar).

I would never use OceanNow if I was already in a bar... that would be silly!

57 minutes ago, FancyPants21 said:

No you don't have that right... no wait staff so I queue up at the bar along with everyone else!

I didn't ever use OceanNow from a bar and only used it a few of times before we gave up... once by the pool (didn't turn up), once by the pool and did turn up and once from in my cabin (didn't turn up but was delivered to the Wakeview Bar).

I would never use OceanNow if I was already in a bar... that would be silly!

so if I have that wrong and your not ordering drinks ? then what was wrong ?

1 hour ago, Gail & Dan said:

so if I have that wrong and your not ordering drinks ? then what was wrong ?

Yet again... you have it wrong. I don't understand what is so confusing.

I did order drinks... just not through a water and not on the app... I stood in line at the bar.

9 minutes ago, FancyPants21 said:

Yet again... you have it wrong. I don't understand what is so confusing.

I did order drinks... just not through a water and not on the app... I stood in line at the bar.

Thanks so much for your report. We are really looking forward to our cruise on the Sky next month. 

I completely understand the experience you are sharing as we have noted the same on our recent cruises on both the Sky and Discovery. We are very used to waiters being present and actively taking orders in places like Explorer’s Lounge, Princess Live, Vista Lounge, etc. and this service does seem to be quite diminished. Like you, after having very hit or miss experience with Ocean Now, we just get our drinks at the bars. Much less frustrating. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My point here is this is not an Ocean now App Problem its a staffing problem 

Knowing there is diminished staff running around you can not expect them to drop the person in Front of them to answer the beep from the app 

your right they should put the app on hold till they top up the staffing issues 

Edited by Gail & Dan

On 5/10/2024 at 2:11 AM, jdacombe said:

Was on this cruise and had a really great time.

Sky Princess is a lovely ship and well maintained, our cabin steward was as is always the case, brilliant, so friendly and obliging. The only things I find slightly disappointing about the layout of the ship are: Good Spirits At Sea - very small when compared to how popular it is, much bigger on Regal. 

Take 5 - had the usual crowds of passengers coming through from the Theatre.

Only had a couple of problems with Ocean Now, one order never turned up and a couple took an age to deliver, but apart from that not too bad.

MDRs and standard of food both excellent, never had to wait long to get a table, same with Alfredos. The buffet had a good selection of food although got pretty crowded at times.

Norway has some stunning scenery and I thought going at this time of year was about the right time to still see snow, and we were blessed with some fantastic views made all the better by the weather. Took the Loen Skylift at Olden, so glad we did, for me it's a must do if only for the views at the top.

My wife and son did the Walking With Llamas excursion and absolutely loved it, even if Carlos (their Llama kept blowing in her ear).

Had already been to Alesund and Stavanger, but still did not disappoint this time around, especially the Ocean Aquarium at Alesund.

Not too disappointed at missing Haugesand as the alternative scenic cruise through the fjord was so beautiful.

All in all it was a fantastic time and one of our best holidays.

How did you get to the skylift from Olden? We’ll be there in a few weeks. 

7 hours ago, riansgrammy said:

How did you get to the skylift from Olden? We’ll be there in a few weeks. 

Hope this will be some help for. You can either book tickets on the day or pre-book  through the website. We took a chance on the weather and pre-booked. It's a pretty straightforward process. It isn't exactly cheap, but we thought for the views and experience it was worth it.

https://www.oldencruise.com/shore-excursions/loen-skylift-including-transfer/

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 8:37 PM, FancyPants21 said:

Just back from the theatre and I had to post...

The show was 5-Skies. It is a high-tech, musical show about a person playing a computer game. The object is to pass through the levels to the final goal... to save the Sky Princess.

I have been longing for Princess to do shows that had a story and weren't just reviews and with this they have answered my prayers. It is original, it is well done, it is fun and enjoyable. If I were to be critical then some of the songs are a little repetitive but it is a small point.

I loved it and this for me marks a new beginning for Princess shows. Let's hope it continues...

I groaned at the whole premise of 5 skies (the idea of computer games just leaves me cold.) Reluctantly, we went & it was really good! (Despite a computer glitch which halted the whole show for about 5 mins.) 

There was also a Jim Henson show in the aft show lounge which certainly had potential. When we saw it I believe it was one of the first performances & it was a bit ragged in parts but I would certainly go to see it again - with the rough edges removed) 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

My point here is this is not an Ocean now App Problem its a staffing problem 

Knowing there is diminished staff running around you can not expect them to drop the person in Front of them to answer the beep from the app 

your right they should put the app on hold till they top up the staffing issues 

I haven't seen anyone suggesting that they should do that. There should be enough staff to mean that OceanNow orders can be satisfied in a sensible timeframe.

As to whether it is an app problem or not... I don't think we can say one way or the other without knowing how the app works. From my experience it looks like the way the app sends the OceanNow orders to the bars does not mean that the bar nearest you will get the order so perhaps that could be improved... who knows. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FancyPants21 said:

I haven't seen anyone suggesting that they should do that. There should be enough staff to mean that OceanNow orders can be satisfied in a sensible timeframe.

As to whether it is an app problem or not... I don't think we can say one way or the other without knowing how the app works. From my experience it looks like the way the app sends the OceanNow orders to the bars does not mean that the bar nearest you will get the order so perhaps that could be improved... who knows. 🙂 

You Said that in fact LOL 

No Staff is no staff they need to Improve the wait staff from What I am Hearing 

the order will go to the nearest bar with free staff and depending on the order not all drinks / Food are available in all bars so it goes to the closest one with the items ordered 

staffing not the app is the clear issue here ! 

FancyPants21

• FancyPants21"Live from...."Rare
  • April 11
  • Author

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jdacombe said:

Hope this will be some help for. You can either book tickets on the day or pre-book  through the website. We took a chance on the weather and pre-booked. It's a pretty straightforward process. It isn't exactly cheap, but we thought for the views and experience it was worth it.

https://www.oldencruise.com/shore-excursions/loen-skylift-including-transfer/

Thanks! We did something similar in Bergen.  Definitely worth it !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

You Said that in fact LOL 

No Staff is no staff they need to Improve the wait staff from What I am Hearing 

the order will go to the nearest bar with free staff and depending on the order not all drinks / Food are available in all bars so it goes to the closest one with the items ordered 

staffing not the app is the clear issue here ! 

Staffing is clearly an issue as we all have said. My point is that it might not be the only issue. You make those statements about how the app works and yet I bet that is just your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but IMO you don't actually know the facts of where orders are routed or how the app works. I bet that the app does not take any account of staffing levels at each bar. So if you can corroborate your statement then it would be helpful otherwise please don't state your opinions as if they are facts because it is misleading.