Celebrity in Hot Water - Edge sailed too close to Kauai’s NaPali Coast

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, markeb said:

I do tend to fall into a military mindset where the Commander is responsible for everything that does and does not happen in his or her command. Not sure how that applies in this corporate 'command' structure. Right or wrong, I sense a captain being promoted to corporate duties. But first you need to know exactly what failed, when, and why. Otherwise you're firing the coach because the GM signed the wrong players. Looks good on Sports Center but rarely fixes the problem.

Maybe they have a deaf and blind crew?  Can't see or hear?

I had alarms on my boat that would go off when I was getting shallow.  A cruise ship has much better gear ...

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

roughly a 30 foot draft.  ... I would not go full speed in 13 foot .

Edge is 27', to be specific.  NOTHING is mention about full speed.  In fact, all references are to scenic, slow (360° rotation in place) movement.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Edge is 27', to be specific.  NOTHING is mention about full speed.  In fact, all references are to scenic, slow (360° rotation in place) movement.

At this point I think that they are just lucky that they did not end up stuck on the sand ...

Not to mention the damage to the reefs, etc...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

lucky that they did not end up stuck on the sand ...

Trying to imagine how that 16 feet would suddenly disappear....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Apparently you have never driven a boat?  The elevation can quickly change and is not 16 feet across all of the ship.  A 20 foot increase or decrease is common.  The shipping channel is not marked as the captain is off roading it 🤣  The depth can also change by several feet over a short period of time. 

I got my boat caught when the depths went from 60 feet to 1 foot. 

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

A 20 foot increase or decrease is common. 

It's disingenuous to intimate that this area hasn't been thoroughly and accurately charted thru the years.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Maybe they have a deaf and blind crew?  Can't see or hear?

I had alarms on my boat that would go off when I was getting shallow.  A cruise ship has much better gear ...

Do you know they got shallow? Seems unlikely. There’s nothing inherently unsafe about being there. It is an off limits area. That’s different. Do you have alarms that tell you you’re in an off limits area?

I assume they have GPS navigation systems as well as charts. Did the navigation systems show the correct minimum distance? Did the charts? That’s why you do root cause analysis. Instead of posting on social media with no actual evidence. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, markeb said:

Do you know they got shallow? Seems unlikely. There’s nothing inherently unsafe about being there. It is an off limits area. That’s different. Do you have alarms that tell you you’re in an off limits area?

I assume they have GPS navigation systems as well as charts. Did the navigation systems show the correct minimum distance? Did the charts? That’s why you do root cause analysis. Instead of posting on social media with no actual evidence. 

They have boats with only one foot draft that are showing pictures of their depth finder.  When you are with the fishing boats and tour boats you know that something is wrong.

Also you can see the shallows/reefs from earlier pictures posted from the boat.

Edited by NMTraveller

10 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@Jim_Iain is on this cruise. Jim, can you slide over here and tell us what you know? Thanks in advance!

His review states he is currently on the Solstice.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It's disingenuous to intimate that this area hasn't been thoroughly and accurately charted thru the years.

They chart it every once in a while.  But sand drifts and moves with the current.  They are not mapping it every day.  You are talking about a very small margin of error here.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

@Jim_Iain is on this cruise. Jim, can you slide over here and tell us what you know? Thanks in advance!

Jim is on the Solstice not the Edge.  We were on the ship on our balcony.  There was never any thing to cause us to be concerned.  We were close to land but still in what appeared to be deep water.  The ship  was turning very very slowly, not spinning or doing donuts as some seem to think.   

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Jim is on the Solstice not the Edge.  We were on the ship on our balcony.  There was never any thing to cause us to be concerned.  We were close to land but still in what appeared to be deep water.  The ship  was turning very very slowly, not spinning or doing donuts as some seem to think.   

We were also on the ship.  Both on our balcony then on deck 15 for the 360° maneuver.  ITA with your assessment.  

Edited by yogini06
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, jwlane said:

We operate a small boat in a channel plus open seas with outlying reefs. The distance can change in seconds. From five metres to less than one. Tides and winds impact as well.  A depth sounder tells you what is, not what it is about to be. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Liao said:

Never even did I mention a scape goat.  Simply said the captain is in charge and responsible, and he/she is.

And regardless of who is at fault, the captain is in charge and pending an investigation should be removed.  At the end of the investigation you reinstate if warranted. 

40 minutes ago, MMS Cruising said:

[

On a serious note, I grew up in Honolulu and am shocked by the actions of the captain of the Celebrity Edge encroaching on the pristine waters off the Na Pali cliffs.  This is exactly the kind of idiotic behavior by tourists showing a total disregard for the land and sea of the Hawaiian Islands that gives all tourists, and cruisers in particular, a bad name.  If the Celebrity Edge lost power or had suffered some other kind of technical glitch, they would have had no room for error or recovery.  Respect the land and the beauty of the islands.  I think a ban on Celebrity cruising to Kaua'i for a year would be appropriate.

Wouldn’t hurt them. They don’t ever stop on Kauai.  This was strictly a sail by to fill the day left open by Lahaina.  Now a ban from the Hawaiian islands would screw up their repositioning plans.  So disappointed in Celebrity for this stunt.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DingoMom said:

Not me.    I'm on Solstice and we didn't get near that island.  Edge left Sydney on April 14 and turn around in Honolulu on May 1.   That sail by was scheduled when they cancelled Lahina.  

We left Honolulu on April 25 and are due in Vancouver on May 6.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Pushka said:

A depth sounder tells you what is, not what it is about to be. 

Too bad Edge doesn't have such rare and expensive equipment.  Oh, wait......

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

State investigating amid reports cruise ship sailed too close to Kauai’s Na Pali Coast (hawaiinewsnow.com)

It is rather obvious why they were sending sand all over the floor.  I see a sand bar to the rear right of the ship.  Am I the only one who sees the ship in shallow water?

The state Land Department is investigating after Kauai advocates say a cruise ship got to...

Yes.  That's a reflection in the helicopter's canopy.  I see lots of deep blue water.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Too bad Edge doesn't have such rare and expensive equipment.  Oh, wait......

Perhaps you can explain the picture above?  The rear of the ship is way too close to the sand bar...