Drinks package/policy changes?

Just reading the thread entitled 'Britannia today, any questions?' and saw this in #100:

"To let you know we had an email this morning to say only a bottle of wine or champagne is allowed to be brought on board, but no vodka, or spirits.

It seems our cruise next week on Britannia is the first to do this."

So not a 'scam'.

• Like 1

I've bought the drinks packages for the back to back cruises on 10th and 24th May at the present prices, so really not bothered except that I like a good cognac as a nightcap watching the sea on my private balcony. I've always taken on a 70cl bottle just for that purpose, so I may still sneak it on in a rum runner simply because the brand sold by room service is not my favourite. I have no objection at all to buying in cabin drinks from room service; since I've paid in advance for the package I can use my onboard spend for that and speciaity bookings, but P and O have really got to increase the range of drinks available; "covid" just doesn't cut it any more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, enjoysailing said:

I am probably called 'old school' whereas when informed something cannot be taken on board ship, I don't take it, nor try to find ways to 'sneak' it on.

Im also old school and I agree, I would not try to take on contraband and I think most people will hopefully be the same. 

I am disappointed by the change as we always take on a decent malt to have in the cabin and P&O don’t offer anything vaguely like the whisky we take in their bars. That said I am versatile and they do offer some decent wines so we can manage for the time onboard. The wine selection has however reduced along with all the other choices and the list, even in the Glass House, is a lot more pedestrian than to used to be.

I think what annoys people is unilateral changes after cruises have been booked. I appreciate that P&O will make policy changes from time to time but would it not be better to do so when launching a new season / brochure, so people know what to expect.

This was a unique selling point for P&O, getting rid of it may be one more reason for people to look at other lines if they are all becoming homogenised anyway.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, molecrochip said:

It’s been a tremendous success for Princess.

It will need to be well priced on P&O because unlike Princess the gratuities are already included in the fare, and there is no gratuity add on for drinks. In addition many people just don't want an internet package while on holiday.

I think they will need regular offers to make it as successful as Princess, which of course will reduce its profit for P&O.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, laslomas said:

Just reading the thread entitled 'Britannia today, any questions?' and saw this in #100:

"To let you know we had an email this morning to say only a bottle of wine or champagne is allowed to be brought on board, but no vodka, or spirits.

So not a 'scam'.

That's from a trusted member too, coupled with what Moley said that P&O policy is not to announce officially until launch date, it is definitely not a scam, just not announced yet. 

Andy 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I wonder if the cocktails offered are already pre-mixed - I haven’t watched them make the drinks but might explain why they won’t make one that’s not on the menu. I will watch carefully when on Iona in a few weeks time!

Most of them are indeed premixed, it was explained to us whilst on Britannia that was the company policy.  Several people were complete frozen cocktails had little flavour.  The packets being used were from Funkin which you can buy in the local supermarket.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's from a trusted member too, coupled with what Moley said that P&O policy is not to announce officially until launch date, it is definitely not a scam, just not announced yet. 

Andy 

If they update website in advance then you highlight the difference in policy and prices because you have to display both.

Instead, update on the day of change and apply a light touch at security for the first couple of cruises for those not aware. Return any restricted alcohol at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, laslomas said:

So not a 'scam'.

Ah, sorry I need to hold my hands up here. Disinformation!

It wasn’t an email which I understood it was from my OH, but something the TA’s had received and put on facebook or something.

On that basis and until we hear clearly from P&O on this we may still take spirits.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Most of them are indeed premixed, it was explained to us whilst on Britannia that was the company policy.  Several people were complete frozen cocktails had little flavour.  The packets being used were from Funkin which you can buy in the local supermarket.

That is slightly different from what we were told on Britannia last week. 

The waiters said they were happy to make any cocktail in any bar, as long as they had the ingredients. 

We had 'Mai Tai' all around the ship, even when not on the menu. 

The frozen cocktails must be different, and I suppose it depends on the helpfulness of the bar staff. 

Andy

19 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Are you an authority on contract law? Genuinely interested by the way, 

Certainly not, I’m as foolish as the people claiming that P&O can’t change their prices or remove the allowance to take alcohol onboard.

I do have someone who dealt with my contracts on the team but just reading T&Cs makes them redundant in this case.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That is slightly different from what we were told on Britannia last week. 

The waiters said they were happy to make any cocktail in any bar, as long as they had the ingredients. 

We had 'Mai Tai' all around the ship, even when not on the menu. 

The frozen cocktails must be different, and I suppose it depends on the helpfulness of the bar staff. 

Andy

Yes, I am referring to the frozen concoctions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

It will need to be well priced on P&O because unlike Princess the gratuities are already included in the fare, and there is no gratuity add on for drinks. In addition many people just don't want an internet package while on holiday.

I think they will need regular offers to make it as successful as Princess, which of course will reduce its profit for P&O.

Actually, the last stats I heard (before Starlink installation and the bundles Princess offerings) was that P&O sold more internet packages per 100 passengers than Princess.

Yes, I note about Gratuities, but that only needs to be a £10pppn reduction in price.

Princess have regular offers for their packages, and generally don’t offer OBC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

generally don’t offer OBC

Not sure about that as whenever I have looked at Princess there has been OBC on offer - there is currently an offer of up to $500 per cabin.

Having said that when you consider the packages then there is little point in having OBC for many but you have to consider that Princess is primally aimed at the American market who have a different outlook to the UK on many things - especially tipping.

Edited by david63

Posted (edited)

My comment stands true. The current offer effectively gives you OBC if you take a package.

Previous offers have included 30% and 50% off the packages instead.

Princess offer different offers to different geographical markets.

Edited by molecrochip

Moley-If you sail next weekend, the change in policy is very last minute.

Fairer to change policy for those paying for cruises - say 12 weeks.

3 hours ago, posford said:

Moley-If you sail next weekend, the change in policy is very last minute.

Fairer to change policy for those paying for cruises - say 12 weeks.

There will never be a good time for everyone, whenever a policy gets changed it will be last minute for someone. It isn't as if someone is going to cancel their cruise and lose the deposit because P&O stop them taking a litre of spirit aboard.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, david63 said:

I think that the bigger issue is that since the restart the selection of drinks onboard has been drastically reduced and if one's favourite tipple is not available then that creates a problem. P&O need to reinstate the pre Covid drinks/wine menus if they are bringing in draconian rules.

21 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Agree

Here is the selection in October 2019

IMG_2292(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.97e6054c9ea0d8cd8ea10ff33dbeaa3e.JPGIMG_2293(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.e3015621a9be57e0c488676dbfe63baf.JPGIMG_2294(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.bd55ed9721ef2e6738e93a0a9a973f66.JPGIMG_2295(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.0a5c76c53c2dd4af46454e4e0fa72fac.JPGIMG_2296(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.03108bcb679c7be63bb812dfd658edc1.JPGIMG_2298(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.f45e85596e5fa3ffb8bf21eddedd98ca.JPGIMG_2299(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.9e86701ce6b853e325136748afe6a0d4.JPGIMG_2300(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.31cac979fb54806bae64bdfa6b56d710.JPGIMG_2301(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.7713a5879e34e52bac49e674e4484e97.JPGIMG_2303(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.6464da5de46c61b485be17e1a25f781c.JPGIMG_2304(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.5b97fe2d721d9378b5061899127098fa.JPGIMG_2305(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.fb1a7ff47c95acecf97872382e0cbffb.JPGIMG_2306(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.a52676f059ca3a0fc02999002a8d7ac6.JPGIMG_2307(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.9a2633cd097d3e0287b98ee9af1ce552.JPGIMG_2308(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.4b44195254f76d25dee80959a1b98761.JPGIMG_2311(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.48680b43c3a04a242ed69b1d92d480b5.JPGIMG_2314(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.c288b36f5c0da6bc1b3c4cd00c25a0c2.JPG

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 4

You can hardly complain about Terms being changed just with not being able to take a bottle on board.    That is not the reason you booked surely?

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

You can hardly complain about Terms being changed just with not being able to take a bottle on board.    That is not the reason you booked surely?

Silly question. Of course not, but people who have taken a bottle onboard for evening balcony drinks, don’t suddenly expect to be told days beforehand that ‘you now can’t’.  (We never have, but were about to pack a few miniature bottles of his favourite Edinburgh gin, for my husband, for when sitting on the balcony for the evening Fjord sails, which are idyllic at 10/11pm)  Will we go up to to a bar to buy a g&t and bring back down to the balcony? NO!  Will we pay for room service to deliver one glass of g&t? NO! 

P&O are reducing the value of their product step by step.  Reduced food quality, greatly reduced meat/fish mdr menu choices, no flannels, no nightly turn down, no pillow chocolates, no lemon slices in buffet for use in water (I really miss these)  no conditioner, no paper port guides/maps, just the crappy online cafe/shop guides… no wine waiters in MDR, and ask for most non alcoholic drinks, and they grumble they’ll need to go and get them… no cheese board, and what arrives is sad,  no individual bathroom toiletries, just bottles shared from previous cabin occupants (yuck…) etc. etc…

… now being petty and stopping people even having their own choice of drinks in cabin…   Hotels don’t stop people having drinks in their cases for use in their rooms. Why should ships?

Each of these is small on its own, but drip by drip it builds up to reduced quality (yet, we’re paying more than we did in 2015)  and new passengers will not miss them (some I don’t miss either, like nightly turn down!)   We’ve just spent several thousand for 7 days on Iona.  I’d now rather a better value / higher quality product for most of our cruises.  P&O are very much “reduce quality as much as possible”, and “expect passengers to pay for extras over and above the bare minimum”.  

Of course, if you just use inside cabins, and pay saver fare; you have paid little for the cruise and think everyone else can spend more on all the extras too… 

We have almost paid off our mortgage and in 1-2 year’s time will try out other lines, one of which allows any alcohol to be taken on board, is not quite all inclusive, but doesn’t charge extra for most of what P&O does, £ for £ / day it’s nit that much more for far higher quality. 

• Like 1

I don’t think that I need to explain myself, but I will anyway.

i am a very keen collector and drinker of high quality craft gins.

we lead a very busy life, albeit being retired, with community commitment work, 3 small grandchildren and a large garden.

Our two great thrills on a cruise are exploring ports and sitting on the balcony.

We sit and read, play cards, watch the sea and enjoy a craft gin and tonic.

We don’t do quizzes, we don’t drink heavily in bars and don’t do night clubs.

We go to the evening shows, daytime talks but our greatest love is the balcony.

So will the new policy affect us, too true it will.

Try getting a really decent gin from room service, try getting one from the bar.

The choice is very poor.

I have 4 P&O cruises booked this year making 50 in all.

i won’t be booking anymore. In fact I might cancel the last 3 as I have only paid the deposit at the moment.

i have to go on the first as it is next weekend.

This was the main reason we use P&O.

So to all who think it is a small change, it definitely is not to us.

IT IS HUGE.

• Like 8

On 5/4/2024 at 8:14 PM, molecrochip said:

I believe this is true but the document shared online is not from P&O. Its been created by a travel agent based on the information their P&O contact has provided them. P&O tend not to let their contact centre / socials team discuss price changes until the day of change in the same way they don’t advertise the change publicly.

There is a price update coming - not unusual for P&O to review their prices at the start of the peak season. I suspect, but don’t know, that the prices are accurate. Also bearing in mind that bar menu prices are likely to rise on the same date.

Please remember that you are not required to buy a drinks package and if it does make financial sense at the new prices then buy drink by drink. For heavy drinkers, it’s likely to still generate a saving. e.g. 15 drinks x £5 is £75 so still a saving.

The removal of the 1 Ltr of Spirits aligns more closely with the rest of the Corporation. Indeed some cruise lines don’t permit any alcohol being taken on board.

Boarding limits on alcohol are not part of the booking Ts and Cs so it doesn’t matter if you’ve been told or not, or if you’ve paid in full or not.

Yes it is a policy change but one that impacts by less than £10 per person (onboard purchase for cabin less supermarket price) unless you were planning on taking a Malt. P&O have no obligations to announce price rises, after all, when you nip into the Supermarket you pay the price in the shelf.

If you want to lock in the current prices, you have a couple of days to buy online.

Finally, please bear in mind that P&O still has some of the lowest bar prices at sea, and no service charge.

I still say we will see a P&O Plus/Premium package before too long. It’s worked so well for Princess.

Thanks for your update ,didn’t have an issue with the price increase or change .I'm surprised that P&O have been so generous allowing us to take so much onboard compared to the other cruise lines in the Carnival group .

• Like 2

The answer is simple,  P&O continue to allow you to bring drinks on board but charge say £10 or £15 corkage on any bottle  you bring in. You pay corkage online in advance and show receipt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BandBlady said:

Thanks for your update ,didn’t have an issue with the price increase or change .I'm surprised that P&O have been so generous allowing us to take so much onboard compared to the other cruise lines in the Carnival group .

Agree.  Fred Olsen do not allow any alcohol to be brought on board at all.  There must be others.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Agree.  Fred Olsen do not allow any alcohol to be brought on board at all.  There must be others.

I suspect people still attempt to and a number will no doubt succeed especially if packed in a suitcase. We have 2 sturdy bottle cases which we have used in the past to bring a bottle or 2 of Rioja back from Spain, put in suitcase as would not be able to carry it on thru security at the airport. Nothing to stop me using them to take alcohol onboard in one of those containers. Security at U.K. ports is a third party contracted to the port not the cruise line. Scanners cannot distinguish between a bottle of gin and a bottle of lemonade, so I can’t see any cruise line wanting to open ever suitcase which might or might not contain alcohol, not cost effective use of time. 

The restrictions on spirits wouldn’t affect us as we rarely drink them, but others will no doubt see it as a restriction of freedom to take a bottle on board for personal use in a cabin.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1