Alaska Cruise Late September

Spindle7

Hi

We are from the UK and are looking to book a cruise to Alaska with either NCL or Princess in late September (only leave time available).  I’m looking for advice from any cruisers who have visited at this time of year.  What temperatures could we expect, can you still enjoy the ships deck facilities, pools etc or would it be to chilly.  Also keen on advice on NCL v Princess as we have never cruised on either before.

sailing dates would be 20th to 28th ish.

Thanks

The simplest way to find monthly forecasts is using a site like weather.com

Here is the prediction for weather in Skagway, Alaska (a typical port) in September.

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/0f6a4f64d31489013c3621d42f3b4e1c3d65f0ff118e0ca0f86c62a25bc9f59f

Temps are in Celsius, click forward to September. Looks like very chilly, dress warm and be prepared for rain. And my preference would be for Princess.

Late September is likely to be rather chilly, so I definitely recommend packing in layers with an emphasis on woollies.  It may get warmer during the day, especially if you're on an excursion with vigorous activity, so you may want to shed some layers for a while but keep them handy for later in the day.  Whales will be sparse by then as the majority of humpbacks will have started their migration to mating/birthing grounds, but you could still see the elusive orcas.  This may also be better timing for an opportunity to see Northern Lights, and you can do a search for University of Alaska Fairbanks aurora forecast that should lead you to a link with more information about the expected activity whilst you're there.  Bookmark it so you can check the KP Index when you're actually in Alaska.

With regards to ship facilities, a lot will depend upon which ship you're on.  Check the ship deck maps to see which might have covered pool areas if that's what you're interested in.  As far as whether to choose Princess or NCL, for your first time in Alaska, either one will do a good job of introducing you to The Great Land.  My personal preference is for Princess because they do a good job of not only taking you to Alaska, but also bringing Alaska onboard to share with you.  By that I mean that there will be an onboard naturalist giving lectures and telling you what to expect along the way, as well as Alaska-themed food and activities, and local Alaskans who'll share their stories and experiences with you.  NCL isn't quite as immersive, but we're booked on NCL later this summer, so I wouldn't rule them out either.

One aspect that you might take into consideration is an itinerary that includes a day of scenic cruising in Glacier Bay.  The ship will pick up a team of National Park Rangers as you sail into the bay who provide educational programs and commentary over the public address system, and it gives you a glimpse at not only some spectacular scenery but also geological and natural history.  Again, not a deal breaker if it's not included, but I would consider it a tie-breaker if you've got two itineraries you're considering and one goes to Glacier Bay but the other doesn't.

HTH!

• Like 1

I wouldn't balk at September if that is how my schedule worked.  No need to panic.  It is not going to be frozen tundra.   I would bring a coat (just like I do at home when it is cold).  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spindle7 said:

Hi

We are from the UK and are looking to book a cruise to Alaska with either NCL or Princess in late September (only leave time available).  I’m looking for advice from any cruisers who have visited at this time of year.  What temperatures could we expect, can you still enjoy the ships deck facilities, pools etc or would it be to chilly.  Also keen on advice on NCL v Princess as we have never cruised on either before.

sailing dates would be 20th to 28th ish.

Thanks

Hello @Spindle7 and welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! I see it has been quite a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry specifically concerns Alaska cruising and was off topic there. 

To help you out, your new thread has been moved to the Ports of Call - Alaska forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have cruised Alaska frequent this forum and give good feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers, and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. I suggest you Bookmark the page or put it in your Favorites for quick and easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

In your case, you may want to check out the UK Cruisers forum for feedback from your fellow UK cruisers.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Personal opinion, late September is probably not the best time for Alaska.

I'm not a shopper (on ship or off) but I've read plenty of reviews of late September Alaska cruises that say the bargains on board and in ports are great because the ship is getting ready to transit to a new itinerary and the stores in port are preparing to close until next season.  So @Spindle7that may be something to consider if you like to shop or have a long list of gifts to purchase for family and friends!

• Like 1

Princess tends to have better itineraries - longer port times and docks directly in Ketchikan instead of remotely at Ward Cove so take a good look at the itinerary comparison. Generally Princess offers a superior Alaska experience. Glacier Bay as part of the itinerary is an important consideration as well. The weather may be a little colder and wetter late in the season, and you will have less daylight, but on the upside you may get a chance to glimpse the Northern Lights that late in the season. Some tours and shops may be closed, but as long as the ships are still coming, there will be plenty offered. Enjoy!