Wow! Jeez! Stabbing on Encore

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Crazy stuff can happen anywhere. Hopefully everyone is OK at the end of the day. I wonder if the woman passenger will get a free cruise.

She will be sailing in the Haven for the rest of her life with all of the money she will make. Senior NCL management flying out to see her... trying to keep her from suing NCL. Several 10's of millions there. Sue the medical center (which is a contract business, not run by NCL). Sue the talent acquisition firm who resourced the crew member to NCL for failing to check him. Sue the individual for whatever insurance money he has. 

Edited by BirdTravels

37 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Why does there have to be “serious litigation “

From all the media reports I have seen, NO ONE was seriously hurt or needed off ship medical attention. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

She will be sailing in the Haven for the rest of her life with all of the money she will make. Senior NCL management flying out to see her... trying to keep her from suing NCL. Several 10's of millions there. Sue the medical center (which is a contract business, not run by NCL). Sue the talent acquisition firm who resourced the crew member to NCL for failing to check him. Sue the individual for whatever insurance money he has. 

Are you sure about that? The cruise ships are not American and I'm not sure people have many "rights" to sue like they would in the USA and other countries. I think they protect themselves very, very well from litigation, and there are not the lawsuits for wrongful death, assault, rape, etc., that maybe there should be.

Not an expert, and definitely not a lawyer, but they protect themselves from so much liability it would not surprise me if we are all signing away lawsuit rights. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, www3traveler said:

From all the media reports I have seen, NO ONE was seriously hurt or needed off ship medical attention. 

What are you talking about?!?!  He attacked 5 people, one of which was a 75 year old female passenger who was stabbed with scissors in her arm, hand and face.

That's serious.

He's been apprehended by the FBI and senior NCL execs are now onsite to deal with the repercussions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2024/05/08/norwegian-cruise-employee-allegedly-stabbing/73612484007/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m on the Encore now. The captain made an announcement this morning about the incident. I had seen the news report online, but I’m not sure how many people knew about it until the announcement. We were in Juneau yesterday and Skagway today without further drama. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

What?  Can you imagine being 75 years old, just happened to be in the medical center for whatever reason, and some crazy guy stabs you multiple times in the face, arm and hand?  Horrific.  Just because there might not have been any long term injuries doesn't take away from the fear and horror that poor woman must have felt.

I am usually against personal injury litigation but I hope this woman gets well taken care of.  I just imagine if it were my 80 year old mom in that situation, I would never wish an attack like that on anyone.

As for the ex-employee, the article says he got on the ship that same day.  Who knows, maybe he was drunk, maybe he couldn't handle the motion of the sea, maybe he had some kind of reaction to medicine.  The fact that he was trying to release a lifeboat indicates he wanted off the ship.  Whatever it is, the cruise line should be held fully responsible for his actions in addition to the man himself, who is hopefully going to prison.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sue the talent acquisition firm who resourced the crew member to NCL for failing to check him. Sue the individual for whatever insurance money he has. 

Since both of these are in the Philippines, she won't likely get anything there.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

I recommend not using this link.  10 seconds in I got several virus attack warnings.

That’s odd as Boston 25 is a legit news site 

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

10's of millions??? A lot easier said then done. My guess is being 75 years old she will be offered nice a deal from NCL and she / her family will settle. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Why is that? I am legally curious.

Doug

How are her lawyers going to get the principals of the crewing agency from the Philippines to a court in the US?  How likely is a Filipino crew member to have personal liability insurance, and while he may be physically in the US for a criminal trial and incarceration, forcing an insurance company (if there is one) in the Philippines to pay up would be difficult.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

How are her lawyers going to get the principals of the crewing agency from the Philippines to a court in the US?  How likely is a Filipino crew member to have personal liability insurance, and while he may be physically in the US for a criminal trial and incarceration, forcing an insurance company (if there is one) in the Philippines to pay up would be difficult.

So you say that problem exists for getting compensation from the Philippines, correct? I didn't consider that, I don't know much about international law. But seems like there will be a lot of litigation for the next year or so. I hope the woman recovers, medically and emotionally. I hope NCL will do the right thing.

Doug

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The article said he is South African, not Filipino. Not arguing your point, just clarifying that detail.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

10's of millions??? A lot easier said then done. My guess is being 75 years old she will be offered nice a deal from NCL and she / her family will settle. 

Nice deal in the 10's of millions. 

Don't talk to strangers. "Senior company executives traveled to Juneau to meet and help the passenger."

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

So you say that problem exists for getting compensation from the Philippines, correct? I didn't consider that, I don't know much about international law. But seems like there will be a lot of litigation for the next year or so. I hope the woman recovers, medically and emotionally. I hope NCL will do the right thing.

Doug

My company was in a law suit a number of years ago against a company based out of Spain. Long story short it was for a very expensive piece of equipment that failed. We were told by our lawyers and some others unless you are looking to recover 10 of millions of dollars and have many years to kill move on. Had this been a US based company it would have been "Easy" being based in another country makes it extremely difficult 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Nice deal in the 10's of millions. 

Don't talk to strangers. "Senior company executives traveled to Juneau to meet and help the passenger."

My bet is it will never happen, her medical bills and travel reimbursement will be fully covered. She will be offered a payout in the hundreds of thousands.... maybe a million along with sailing in the Haven once a year for the rest. Time will tell

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

She will be offered a payout in the hundreds of thousands.... maybe a million along with sailing in the Haven once a year for the rest.

Do you really think she'll trust NCL now? 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Do you really think she'll trust NCL now? 🤣

Come on now she'll be in the Haven. No crazies there except few nutty passengers Lol

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Come on now she'll be in the Haven. No crazies there except few nutty passengers Lol

Haha, right. I bet she'll demand to see a full profile on every staff member before agreeing to the Haven!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

It makes me wonder, with all the new ships out there, how well are all the cruise lines vetting new crew members? On our last cruise, we had a cabin steward who was just hired and wanted out after several weeks aboard a ship.

We had a bar staff member that knowingly tried to give alcohol to our underage daughter. It was on NCL this spring in one of the bigger ships. He came and took our drink order, asked why DD wanted a virgin drink and when she said that she is underage (15) the staff member just laughed and said that it’s not a problem and in his country every teen drinks. He tried several times to convince us to order an alcoholic beverage to our DD and simply wouldn’t stop. We avoided the guy the rest of the cruise. No, we did not report this to anyone (in retrospect should have) but the guy told us he was leaving the ship (and NCL) in 1,5 weeks time so thought he’d be away soon enough anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

We had a bar staff member that knowingly tried to give alcohol to our underage daughter. It was on NCL this spring in one of the bigger ships. He came and took our drink order, asked why DD wanted a virgin drink and when she said that she is underage (15) the staff member just laughed and said that it’s not a problem and in his country every teen drinks. He tried several times to convince us to order an alcoholic beverage to our DD and simply wouldn’t stop. We avoided the guy the rest of the cruise. No, we did not report this to anyone (in retrospect should have) but the guy told us he was leaving the ship (and NCL) in 1,5 weeks time so thought he’d be away soon enough anyway. 

A report would have ensured he was never on another cruise ship again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I'm glad you didn't report him, it would be rather cruel to have someone lose his job and potentially the only source of income of his family over something like this.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm glad you didn't report him, it would be rather cruel to have someone lose his job and potentially the only source of income of his family over something like this.

"Something like this" is a violation of company policy, and a high liability issue.  He is well aware of company policy, and is only trying to get bigger tips.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1