Live Ovation of the Seas Alaska May 17-24, 2024 with Kmom

3 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Yes we are on the light rail now. Not only cheap but apparently there’s an incident this evening on I 5 and it’s a parking lot.

Get off at westlake center and get on the monrail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

IMG_4081.jpeg

How easy would that train be with two large suitcases and a carry on?  ( two people lol )  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, sdear said:

How easy would that train be with two large suitcases and a carry on?  ( two people lol )  

All rolling bags of course. It was me with two semi clueless 18 year year olds. None of us is in great physical shape, but no chronic injuries or other issues either. We had 2 large suitcases, 3 carry ons, and 2 personal items (handles looped over the large bags). We did fine with it in spite of being tired already from a long day of travel. 

There were elevators next to the escalators in each station, which we elected to use. A little extra (maybe 2 minutes) wait time for elevator vs. escalator. Ticket machines at airport were super easy, one way, single ride ticket to Westlake just $3. Monorail costs more for a much shorter ride ($3.50) but worth it. 

There is some walking - Link is a hike from the terminal at SeaTac. The walk between train stations at Westlake is pretty short. The walk from Space Needle monorail station to Hyatt House is the equivalent of about 2-3 city blocks. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Up in the wee hours after a short but good quality sleep. Hoping to get more as we have no plans before our cab ride to port at 10:45. 

I forgot to print my cruise tags, so hoping the hotel can help me with that. Otherwise we can roll on the whole circus, reminding us why “baggage” is such a perfect metaphor / now cliche for crap you can’t escape but would prefer not to be dealing with. 

I also forgot to check in early for my Alaska Airlines flight yesterday but did so on the app while we were on the final leg to O’Hare in my buddy’s car, and bag drop just a couple minutes later was flawless. 

Thankfully I remembered everything critical and not easily replaced (kids’ prescription meds, travel documents, corrective eyewear plus spares). But it’s uncharacteristic of me to lapse on those things I forgot. 

• Like 11

It will be boring and overthinking to discuss my food strategy for this cruise. 

Too bad. As always feel free to just scroll past the parts of this trip report that drag. 

We’ll have plenty of dragging, I can almost guarantee! I don’t sleep much and I don’t really drink so lots of time for pontificating. Just look it up. My advanced vocabulary is just one of my many less attractive traits. 

I am a lifelong chronic overeater, like many if not most Americans raised on decades of cheap, heavily processed, artificially tasty foodstuffs. My body, brain, and especially digestive system has been telling me for years that the quality and volume of my diet is NOT HELPING. 

Yet it’s my addiction. It largely has control over me, and I really hate it. I have briefly broken out of the cycle over the years only to relapse. The pandemic and post world has been really bad for this, chronic stress eating and almost constant daily / hourly discomfort. It’s insane. I know this. And it just gets worse over time.

If I had any sense I would eat mostly fruits and vegetables with very minimal grains and dairy, and mostly or even exclusively plant based protein.

Sooooooo, that’s what I’m hoping to mostly stick to while I have the incredible resource of practically unlimited, internationally inspired, freshly prepared vegetarian and vegan gourmet options.

• Like 20

There are two things I almost always enjoy on a cruise: Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and eggs Benedict. 

In fact those are both very characteristic of my problem. Highly processed white bread topped with concentrated umami, salty, animal proteins. On this cruise we’ll also have the Kummelweck sandwich that was so memorable on Oasis six years ago. Similar concept really. 

And on the other end, I sure love a nice cheesecake or brown sugar based soft cookie. Seeing the pattern?

In the past cruises have been excuses to indulge even more than usual and honestly I always feel like garbage onboard as a result. I often wonder how crew stay so slim and it’s obviously because enough is actually enough and they couldn’t perform their duties if they abused their health like I do.

Away from the stress and routine of my daily life, I am really hoping to kickstart a personal wellness campaign this week. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 22

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

@Biker19 11am check in time?

You don’t sleep either I see. 

Forget check in time - worry about the seemingly always slow process in Seattle. You'll have plenty of company even if you show up at 10:30.

Biker, who is on East Coast time.

• Haha 4

@KmomChicago embarkation day is always so exciting. My favorite breakfast items are the same as yours as they are things I don't make at home and don't even eat when I go out for the occasional breakfast.

Have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

There are two things I almost always enjoy on a cruise: Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and eggs Benedict. 

In fact those are both very characteristic of my problem. Highly processed white bread topped with concentrated umami, salty, animal proteins. On this cruise we’ll also have the Kummelweck sandwich that was so memorable on Oasis six years ago. Similar concept really. 

And on the other end, I sure love a nice cheesecake or brown sugar based soft cookie. Seeing the pattern?

In the past cruises have been excuses to indulge even more than usual and honestly I always feel like garbage onboard as a result. I often wonder how crew stay so slim and it’s obviously because enough is actually enough and they couldn’t perform their duties if they abused their health like I do.

Away from the stress and routine of my daily life, I am really hoping to kickstart a personal wellness campaign this week. 

Wish me luck!

I too am a chronic over eater. As you know I just got off MSC seashore. I didn’t gain any weight on this cruise. How????Before leaving  I found out I have a genetic defect where I can’t process folic acid. Which is in every white enriched flour and pasta in the USA. And most processed foods.So I didn’t eat anything that may have white flour in it. I did talk to the chef when I got on board and he confirmed they use enriched flour. I still had plenty to eat and drink. It’s amazing what you can skip when you have this in your head. MSC is known for their pizzas.i was so disappointed when I found out they used enriched flour. The chef made me a gluten free which was as good as any pizza I’ve had.I ordered a cheesecake and didn’t eat the crust.I had ice cream. I did have a piece of whole wheat toast with breakfast. It may be an approach that works for you. Whatever you do enjoy this cruise!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These Hyatt people have been very good to me for over ten years. I got a wonderful welcome last night and upgrade from the king den studio I booked to a one bedroom suite, using my annual reward free night I earn by having the Hyatt Chase credit card. 

I show up late and dirty, or sometimes early and dirty, stressed and tired, certainly not looking like the kind of guest Hyatt actually wants to attract. 

Yet they unfailingly, across America and the world, treat me like I am their absolute favorite.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

Both the Ovation and Edge are pulling in now. Arriving home to Seattle is always a beautiful sight. As much as I have seen my city go down hill over the years, I still love sailing in and seeing the skyline…Wowza!!

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Both the Ovation and Edge are pulling in now. Arriving home to Seattle is always a beautiful sight. As much as I have seen my city go down hill over the years, I still love sailing in and seeing the skyline…Wowza!!

Welcome home!

Interesting observation about going downhill. I have extensive domestic travel in my background; however, I have never been to Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, or, until yesterday, Washington state.  It was still daylight as we rode in on light rail through the various neighborhoods. I much enjoyed the view and I kept thinking, this literally looks like the birthplace of a revolutionary alternative rock music subgenre called GRUNGE. I don’t know what I pictured but that wasn’t it. Yet I found it delightful.

It was beautiful in a rugged, in some places rundown and others, obviously renewed and redeveloped way. As always I am a weirdo but I love gritty urban and suburban areas, a sense of history and cultural richness.  Seattle looks and feels unique and also stereotypically American all at once. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sdear said:

It was OK with us about the same, Todd handled 1 large and carry on, I moved the other large, but I was younger then!😆  We loved the train. Before we went I watched a You Tube that showed the entire thing from Airport to downtown, I sorta memorized it and we had no trouble at all except the self serve tickets were not very user friendly but my Techi hubs got it.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OKAY I am going to drop a teaser here. 

It’s 6:30 am in Seattle. @crzndeb has been kind enough, coming into port on Celebrity Edge this morning from her own Alaska cruise, to report that my ship has made it home as well. 

That’s always good news.  I got an early check in time today, 11am, specifically to try to get free bookings on North Star, which was the final deciding detail for selecting Ovation of the Seas over so many equally excellent options. 

However, there is something important that has gone rather deeply wrong in Kmom’s life recently and unexpectedly. You know it’s important because of Kmom referring to herself in the third person. 

And see, it could be a factor at embarkation and I am mostly but not 100% confident that it’s entirely under control. 

I’m also mostly but not 100% confident about my decision on how to manage it. 

I think I took a little risk with the decision.

I literally mighta messed up here and won’t know for sure till I get there. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Am I the only one who loves it when the local news channel drops a commercial like this?

”Exclusive report from the WKWK newsroom:  The hidden danger that could kill you this afternoon!! Tune in for the story, tonight at ten.”

• Haha 19

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Welcome home!

Interesting observation about going downhill. I have extensive domestic travel in my background; however, I have never been to Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, or, until yesterday, Washington state.  It was still daylight as we rode in on light rail through the various neighborhoods. I much enjoyed the view and I kept thinking, this literally looks like the birthplace of a revolutionary alternative rock music subgenre called GRUNGE. I don’t know what I pictured but that wasn’t it. Yet I found it delightful.

It was beautiful in a rugged, in some places rundown and others, obviously renewed and redeveloped way. As always I am a weirdo but I love gritty urban and suburban areas, a sense of history and cultural richness.  Seattle looks and feels unique and also stereotypically American all at once. 

I live about 15 miles north of the city. Don’t get me wrong, I moved up here from San Diego back in 1985, and like other major cities, it has its ins and out. I love Washington. Some of the downtown areas have just gotten a bit more crazy than they used to be, but it’s still a very vibrant town, with lots of unique things to see and do.

Be patient with embarkation. With 2 ships in, this port can get wild. Hopefully all goes smoothly. I love the Ovation. Did a B5B (54) last year from Sydney, and she feels like my second home. With those legs, and an additional 3 more cruises before the long one, I have cruised her the most. I hope you have a great cruise and look forward to reading your posts.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1