Tipping Conundrum

molymoo

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, duquephart said:

So ----- why does Viking call them "gratuities" then?

You don’t have to pay them - Viking will take them off your bill.

Apparently a great many people do, but Viking does not want us to know that.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You don’t have to pay them - Viking will take them off your bill.

Apparently a great many people do, but Viking does want us to know that.

Damn close though - they not only expect you to pay them they bill them. One has to go out of their way to not pay them. And, as you point out, they clearly hope you don't know that you can opt out.

Edited by duquephart

On 5/19/2024 at 3:27 PM, oskidunker said:

I have never tipped. Not going through hassle of getting local currency. 

Can I use that policy when visiting the US? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had lunch with a friend last week and picked his brain over a recent trip to Japan, we are going in October.  He sent me his wife's cheat sheet and it is copied below.  The bolded item about tipping was directed to my friend (he and his wife took their two daughters).  My friend is a very extroverted sales person and note how her tipping comment is directed at him

Don'ts in Japan
talk, eat or drink on public transportation
block pathways - walk in single file lines or 2x2
let rice touch soy sauce
tip - @ daddy
wear revealing clothing
cut in line anywhere
pass food with chopsticks
eat or drink on street
touch taxi doors - automatically opens + closes
customize food

15 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I had lunch with a friend last week and picked his brain over a recent trip to Japan, we are going in October.  He sent me his wife's cheat sheet and it is copied below.  The bolded item about tipping was directed to my friend (he and his wife took their two daughters).  My friend is a very extroverted sales person and note how her tipping comment is directed at him

Don'ts in Japan
let rice touch soy sauce
tip - @ daddy
wear revealing clothing
cut in line anywhere
eat or drink on street
customize food

Tattoos are a big concern and challenge for people with visible tattoos in Japan.

Now, this does not mean that if you have tattoos you cannot visit japan, but you should cover them where you can, and you will expect different treatment.

My boss - who is covered in tattoos - was asked by the five star hotel he was staying in to cover his tattoos when going to the gym and in the lobby areas.

Tattoos in Japan while not illegal are linked to the Yakuza and gangs basically, and some will be fearful of you.  

Tattoos can and are banned from bath houses and some gyms.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Tattoos are a big concern and challenge for people with visible tattoos in Japan.

Now, this does not mean that if you have tattoos you cannot visit japan, but you should cover them where you can, and you will expect different treatment.

My boss - who is covered in tattoos - was asked by the five star hotel he was staying in to cover his tattoos when going to the gym and in the lobby areas.

Tattoos in Japan while not illegal are linked to the Yakuza and gangs basically, and some will be fearful of you.  

Tattoos can and are banned from bath houses and some gyms.

We just had a conversation about tattoos with my daughter who lived in Japan for 3 years. Not only is it a fear factor but banning people with tattoos is a way to socially ostracize them and show disapproval. 

Concerning extroverts:

18 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Don'ts in Japan
let rice touch soy sauce
tip - @ daddy
wear revealing clothing
cut in line anywhere
eat or drink on street
customize food

I posted an article above about the psychology of tipping and after reading it it seems to me that extroverts are more inclined to be tippers. Maybe it’s more about “notice me” than I previously thought.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We just had a conversation about tattoos with my daughter who lived in Japan for 3 years. Not only is it a fear factor but banning people with tattoos is a way to socially ostracize them and show disapproval. 

My boss is also 6'6" and built like a bodybuilder football player.  He tends to wear tight t-shirts on personal time that are very tight but also the sleeves barely cover his shoulders because of his size...  both arms are full sleeve tattoos.

This was a problem and he did not know this going, and took some coaching while he was there to understand why he was being shunned and why people honestly looked at him in fear.

Edited by CDNPolar

8 hours ago, duquephart said:

Maybe it wasn't just the tats?

He is a "teddy bear" and the nicest guy you would ever meet on the street or in a social situation.  His smile is very warm and welcoming...

It was the tats, I am certain.

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

He is a "teddy bear" and the nicest guy you would ever meet on the street or in a social situation.  His smile is very warm and welcoming...

It was the tats, I am certain.

You knowing that is one thing ------------

• Like 1