Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

16 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

is so much easier to enjoy a cruise when one is able to adapt and go with the flow without feeling unappreciated or disrespected.

For me, it's two things.  First, I really, really like loungers.  I sit at a desk all day, with my feet on the floor.  On vacation, I want to be able to put my feet up (literally).

Second, people traveling in suites pay handsomely for their cabins.  It's a decision made with the expectation that one will get more for the extra money being spent.  One of those things is a larger balcony and -- historically -- loungers and chairs on that balcony.  

It's not about being unappreciated but rather annoyance at having something historically enjoyed taken away for no good reason, while at the same time increasing prices.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I can certainly understand the consternation regarding the lack of loungers in balcony cabins, particularly suites. What's more, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason across the fleet as to why. Some got 'em, some don't. When requested, some get 'em, some don't. Another mysterious Celebrity action item gone wrong? We cruise in Balcony/IV cabins. That suits us. If our balcony is furnished with two chairs and a table that is fine with us. We require nothing else, and we do spend lots of time out there. Even in a suite, no loungers would be okay. It is so much easier to enjoy a cruise when one is able to adapt and go with the flow without feeling unappreciated or disrespected. But that's just us.       

It has nothing to do with feeling unappreciated or disrespected.  It has to do with taking away comfort.  Maybe you're different, but if I am wanting to spend several hours on my balcony, reading and relaxing, I need to put my feet up.  I shouldn't have to rely on pulling over that tiny table to rest my legs.  And maybe you are right about the disrespected part.  They are certainly disrespecting my intelligence by claiming it is due to safety reasons.  When I sail in a suite I pay A LOT of money to do so, and one of the reasons is the nice, larger balcony.  These changes make it much less desirable and it's taking away one of the main things I enjoy about cruising.  I've already significantly cut down on the number of cruises I have booked, and may cut it back even more.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

If we all just go with the flow, I seriously wonder what Celebrity would do if there wasn’t any negative feedback on anything?  Of course, this is not going to happen, but there are important items to those of us who cruise a lot and spend $$$$+ too.  Thankfully we all have the element of choice...going with the flow is definitely an option, especially if loungers and footstools don’t matter to you at all, but take away something important to you might make a difference.  Yes, I do go with the flow on many things, but not everything on  Celebrity, the stock market or my health...let’s just say I am pro-active!

🔺So many of you made great points! 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 5

answer from executive office. Loungers are being removed for safety reasons 

I pointed out that if that was the case, other cruise lines would be following suit. 

All I can say is, contact executive office and let them know your feelings.   

sitting on the balcony, feet up, relaxing, reading, now just a memory for us. 😡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cbfb said:

On the other hand I prefer to get what I paid for. 

As well you should. I pay for room and board plus whatever other incidentals/packages I might enjoy. I'm not sure that includes specific chair/lounger configurations. Could be wrong. I have had them all. Ain't no thing. 

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

For me, it's two things.  First, I really, really like loungers.  I sit at a desk all day, with my feet on the floor.  On vacation, I want to be able to put my feet up (literally).

Second, people traveling in suites pay handsomely for their cabins.  It's a decision made with the expectation that one will get more for the extra money being spent.  One of those things is a larger balcony and -- historically -- loungers and chairs on that balcony.  

It's not about being unappreciated but rather annoyance at having something historically enjoyed taken away for no good reason, while at the same time increasing prices.  

Totally understand where you are coming from. My expectations are perhaps not as definitively important as other folks. Not right or wrong, just different. Also, history has a way of bringing about changes, some temporary some permanent. Some good some not so much. Personally, I can appreciate that because change happens, and I might not always understand why. 

On 5/14/2024 at 4:18 PM, Blueseas109 said:

I was on Reflection in a CS last month and no loungers. I asked for them but never got them. I also asked for foot stools but was told they didn’t have any. 

I was in a CS last month on Reflection as well.  Prasoon was our butler and brought us 2 loungers right away (no luck on the footstools though).  We ended up sitting on the chairs and using the loungers as a footstool.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:18 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

The RS on S class has always had one very oversized lounger with thick padding, two chairs, a table and a whirl pool tub.  So they even took away the over sized lounger?  Frankly, I thought it was too big for the space.  Glad they brought you 2 "normal" loungers tho.

They got rid of the over sized lounger with the padding in the RS.  I was in one on Reflection in December and was looking forward to many long naps on that comfy thing.  Apparently they took them all off a few months prior.  I did have footstools on that sailing, but the chairs were very uncomfortable.  I sailed in in CS on the same ship last month and there were no foot stools just some even more uncomfortable chairs which I didn't even think was possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I pointed out that if that was the case, other cruise lines would be following suit. 

I also feel if safety was truly the case no one would have them in any cabin and room stewards would not be getting them when asked. IMO that is utter BS! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

It has nothing to do with feeling unappreciated or disrespected.  It has to do with taking away comfort.  Maybe you're different, but if I am wanting to spend several hours on my balcony, reading and relaxing, I need to put my feet up.  I shouldn't have to rely on pulling over that tiny table to rest my legs.  And maybe you are right about the disrespected part.  They are certainly disrespecting my intelligence by claiming it is due to safety reasons.  When I sail in a suite I pay A LOT of money to do so, and one of the reasons is the nice, larger balcony.  These changes make it much less desirable and it's taking away one of the main things I enjoy about cruising.  I've already significantly cut down on the number of cruises I have booked, and may cut it back even more.

How true is this! No way you should have to exert yourself in the slightest. For the money you spend, every need should be tended to. No argument from me. And yes, I am different from many folks who post on these forums. Actually, I am quite thankful for that. But I do speak up when something important to me seems amiss. Chair configuration is not on the list.

Just unbelievable to say the least. So Celebrity is claiming that they have removed all loungers in every suite due to safety reasons. So, even those on  the PS on the M class ships have been removed?  That 1,100 square foot verandah will be very empty. 

IMG_1990.jpeg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

How are loungers a safety issue and not chairs and tables? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Just unbelievable to say the least. So Celebrity is claiming that they have removed all loungers in every suite due to safety reasons. So, even those on  the PS on the M class ships have been removed?  That 1,100 square foot verandah will be very empty. 

IMG_1990.jpeg

no. X did NOT say  all were removed. ….They will be.   There is a difference there

7 hours ago, Oville said:

Didn’t this whole topic first come out when Edge was launched.  No loungers in Sky Suites but the reality was all you had to do was ask?

And don't forget the Edith Ann/Lily Tomlin rocking chairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

I literally spit out my drink laughing.  What a joke

Why don’t they be honest and admit the cruise line doesn’t generate revenue if people are hanging out on their balconies

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

loungeseating.thumb.jpg.b0a185ee0e14f6665dfdbe859e6a088c.jpgThe current description on X's website actually spells "lounge seating" on veranda even for the lowest suite category - see the screenshot. Now, the Merriam dictionary defines the lounge chair as follows: ": a long chair with a back that can be moved so that the user can sit up or lie down"

So, Celebrity refuses to deliver what it promises.. Isn't this called a breach of contract?

Edited by voyager1964
edit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The safety reason is quite condescending in its absurdity.  Every other line provides loungers on balconies and right up against railings on public decks.  X will apparently bring you one if you ask.  So how does it follow that the reason they're being removed is because they're suddenly unsafe?  It's insulting that the executive office is telling people this.

As with all of the amenities, X hopes you won't know to ask and they can save money when they need to buy more with the rationale that no one is asking for them.  Not to mention that training is so inconsistent that many people will be told it's not possible when they do ask. 

You know who doesn't put this burden on its passengers?  Their competitors.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 3

On 5/14/2024 at 8:39 AM, Salf777 said:

Yes 2 chairs and a small little table

image.thumb.jpg.b44b0c0cc1f592cc285a886f5cf449b2.jpg

This is exactly why we selected this cabin....for the space with the loungers on a cruise with multiple sea days.  Now, it just looks like an empty dance floor.  And we paid dearly for this cabin with that assumption of that deck furniture being there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

no. X did NOT say  all were removed. ….They will be.   There is a difference there

Where did X say that loungers would be removed?  I have only seen passengers reporting that they were told that by a cabin attendant or Butler.  Some cabin attendants have said that for years when asked for a loungers for a SV balcony,  while other cabin attendants get them for SVs. 

The E class ships did not have loungers on the Sky Suite (with the exception of the 28MC Sky Suites) from the start.  Our MC SS had a lounger when we got off on 5/2.   Our regular Sky Suite balconies have not had them.  I know a few have asked for a lounger and gotten it, but it barely fits with the table and 2 chairs so those balconies, like most M class SS were not designed for loungers.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, asctony said:

Found this at my local Costco & bought 2 for our Beyond July cruise.

Do you think Celebrity will have any problems bringing our own?

We will leave then in the boxes and check them in. 

20240516_110642.jpg

Are you interested in selling them after your cruise? We would be interested in buying them as we are on the Beyond in July, too. What date is your cruise? 

Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Where did X say that loungers would be removed?  I have only seen passengers reporting that they were told that by a cabin attendant or Butler.  Some cabin attendants have said that for years when asked for a loungers for a SV balcony,  while other cabin attendants get them for SVs. 

The E class ships did not have loungers on the Sky Suite (with the exception of the 28MC Sky Suites) from the start.  Our MC SS had a lounger when we got off on 5/2.   Our regular Sky Suite balconies have not had them.  I know a few have asked for a lounger and gotten it, but it barely fits with the table and 2 chairs so those balconies, like most M class SS were not designed for loungers.  

please go to my earlier post 104

2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Maybe there was a lawsuit or something, someone might have cut their finger off adjusting the back of the lounger. 

If that's a case, there should not be any items of any kind on the ship (no tables, no chairs, no beds, no silverware, nothing), no pools, no dancing (one might be injured, too), all around the ship walls should be plush, and so on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Are you interested in selling them after your cruise? We would be interested in buying them as we are on the Beyond in July, too. What date is your cruise? 

Enjoy your cruise.

Disregard my previous message. I found these on a site that are both chair and lounger with a tray. Thank you anyway!

image.png.692f7cdda9f299a53a582135772297e8.png

• Like 3

On 5/14/2024 at 8:24 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Suppose one is out on their balcony…it’s a full moon. Stay with me. It’s a full moon but land is on the horizon basking in moon glow illumination. And suddenly, from out of nowhere, a blue pelican … no, albatross …yes, a very rare blue albatross flutters into the scene juxtaposed by the moonlight and land off into the distance. And Simon has his new iPhone 15 plus pro with autopilot cameras and on demand flash. And with voice command he orders up a pic…for his cruise critic friends, of course. But blimey!  The darn device has a mind of its own and if only Simon was just a bit taller he could capture the entire scene. And in a moment of pure genius Simon fashions a photo platform by stacking his FOOTSTOOL atop of his lounger offering the perfect vantage point for the most exquisite photo in cruising history. When suddenly a gust of wind rushes in from out of nowhere and sweeps Simon off his feet, over the railing and into the arms of the unsuspecting cabin steward who just happened to be cleaning the drink glasses from the balcony one deck below. Fortunately, Simon is slight in stature and only suffers mild contusions while the poor steward endured the brunt of the impact and must therefore be placed on bed rest until the ship’s doctor deems he’s made a full recovery.

If only there was a way to get rid of those dastardly dangerous balcony loungers and their accompanying footstools!!!

It could happen….

My Guts Hurt! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2