LIVE from Jewel May 15, 2024 - 27 nights

With only 10 hours in Shetland, Mousa was a fantastic choice. I grew up in Sandwick. Saw that island every day. Only took me coming back home after travelling around the world to realise how lucky I was to grow up there. 

was in the Caribbean last month on Icon. It might be considerably warmer, but none of the beaches were better than Shetland beaches. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, maggieq said:

@mac_tlc we are on the next cruise and I remember your amazing live last year.  Forgetting if you posted your experience with departing Schiphol   If not, can you advise any tips on navigating process?  Thanks!

It truly was a trip of a lifetime. We all talk about it often and would love to go back. 

We had a 2:10PM flight from Amsterdam to Reykjavik, then on to Newark. We used Royal transfers from the cruise terminal. Normally we would use a third party, but with four of us + 6 bags plus two backpacks + a wheelchair, we wanted to play it safe. Left terminal around 8:30 and actually got to the airport about 10 or so --- too early to check our bags, which is three hours before departure. Checked in at 11:10 and Security was no problem and we were at the gate with about 90 minutes to spare.  

Schiphol is huge with a lot of shops etc before security. I would plan on arriving early so there is no stress. We actually had time to go to one of the grocery stores in the airport -- had to get some Dutch Gouda for home !!!  You never know about crowds, traffic, security, etc. I am not one to try to get the earliest possible flight, I'd rather get a slightly later flight and lower the stress level.

Have a wonderful time -- I hope the weather cooperates !!!

mac_tlc  

• Like 6

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Shot on an Insta360 X4.

Other gear includes a Sony RX100M6 and a Sony 7RM4A.

What lenses did you bring for your 7R? Looks like at least the 70-200 or even more focal length?

We board the Jewel on Aug 10th for the Norway Arctic Circle cruise and then will stay onboard for the TA.  Loving your review. Sailed the Jewel to Amsterdam in 2022.  Looking forward to sailing her again. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, andreasfcb said:

What lenses did you bring for your 7R? Looks like at least the 70-200 or even more focal length?

Sigma 60 to 600.

• Like 1

Starlink gateway city is back to Berlin.

Some extra latency observed so I suspect we are relaying off a V2 mini satellite to reach the distance.

image.thumb.jpeg.281bb63b11fb14a6cc40650a837d1c58.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for your live trip report! Your photographs are beautiful. We are on the Norway fjords Arctic Circle cruise in August, excited to see your review of those ports.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Strange question but if you ask your stateroom attendant for it, do they still do printed cruise compass or offer printed compass's at customer service? I'm old fashioned and like to highlight those items I'd really like to attend the evening prior.

• Like 1

Just now, Sinders99 said:

Strange question but if you ask your stateroom attendant for it, do they still do printed cruise compass or offer printed compass's at customer service? I'm old fashioned and like to highlight those items I'd really like to attend the evening prior.

My attendant was delivering them but with evening only service he was providing that days compass while I was at dinner.  I had him stop,  YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinders99 said:

Our cabin attendant brings us the next day Cruise Compass daily when we starts his evening service. We asked him for a printed copy on the first day of the cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Starlink gateway city has switched back to London.  That make sense given our position.

JW-05-15-24-429.thumb.jpg.446c81888dbfac8d0bf877b7ede9f502.jpg

Foggy again, following fog protocols with ship whistle every two minutes.

JW-05-15-24-430.thumb.jpg.35959e3ca9f1e671e265e0bec6785185.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sinders99 said:

You should also be able to get the Day 1 printed compass from Guest Services. On my last couple of cruises I've not even had to wait in line because the GS agent walking the line had them to hand.

• Like 1

From what I understand, Pinnacles are supposed to get the paper copy of the cruise compass automatically.  Not sure what the set up is for others.  

So many of the things we took for granted is going away.  😞 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Our guide made reference to one of the largest onshore wind turbine farms anywhere that should be coming online shortly.  

I wonder if this it it?

JW-05-15-24-414.thumb.jpg.d44fdb823fc61b55080f75661e189f3b.jpg

JW-05-15-24-415.thumb.jpg.334b13bf6c923d7fd7e276ab4e44241a.jpg

Yes it is, there are 103 of them. It has divided the community as all the associated roads etc. have altered the landscape beyond recognition.  To many it is the way forward, the other side of the coin is that it has ruined the rugged beauty of the countryside.

• Like 3

On our 2 Radiance cruises in September/October we got the paper compass.  No problem.  We have morning service but it was left for us each evening. 

• Like 1

So sorry I am so late to your great review. Pictures are outstanding as always. I so much want to do this itinerary on Jewel. Sorry if you addressed it but are you happy with Jewel? Is the ship in fairly good shape for her age?

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So sorry I am so late to your great review. Pictures are outstanding as always. I so much want to do this itinerary on Jewel. Sorry if you addressed it but are you happy with Jewel? Is the ship in fairly good shape for her age?

Jewel is fine.  Looking good after drydock.

• Like 6