Butlers

Csardas

Hi.

1st time in QG, on QV. What are the sort of tasks that people ask of their butler or that the butler would view as the norm?

Would it be ok to ask the butler to unpack just the dresses that need to be hung up? (I’ll definitely manage the underwear myself!)
We’re not travelling with others so don’t expect to be hosting a cocktail party but my husband does make a good French Martini. Is there a cocktail shaker on the bar area or would the butler source one for us?

TIA

In  hundreds of nights in QG on QV we have never asked our to unpack but yes, you can ask the butler to unpack but don’t be upset if it’s not immediate. Far quicker to do it yourself. 

No idea on the cocktail shaker and if it’s that important, take your own to be sure of having one available. 🙂

As soon as you board, give him a list of what you need, like different pillows, lemon slices for gin, bar soap, fruit, ice, that sort of thing. They are very busy the first day, so things can take a little while. I wouldn’t ask him to unpack. How will you find anything?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

No idea on the cocktail shaker and if it’s that important, take your own to be sure of having one available.

Good luck at getting that through security without questions being asked!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, david63 said:

The beauty of many questions is they can be answered. 

• Like 2

Well since the butler unpacking is promoted in Cunard's own promotion videos of what the butler will do, it's a very legitimate question, IMO. 

• Like 2

While Cunard advertise butlers assisting packing and unpacking, in reality very few would ask this of the Butler.  One reason is that on Day 1 they are extremely busy meeting and taking care of all the day 1 requests.   If it is important to you by all means ask.

Your butler is there to take care of you,  while your room attendant is there to take care of your room.

Normal Butler Offerings =

1.  Bringing Breakfast, Coffee, stacks afternoon tea (if requested).  They also serve meals in your room if requested.

2.   They take care of your Bar and MiniFridge as well as mixers and garnishes like lemon, limes etc

3.   They take care of your Laundry, Pressing and Dry Cleaning Needs

4.   They will make reservations for you and can help solve many issues - including any issues with your room.

I've always found them to be intuitive and be there to take care of your special needs while not being a pest. 

They also say they will run you a bubble bath... again something I would never ask them to do.  This isn't Downton Abbey and they are taking care of MANY other suites.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, david63 said:

I’ve taken one on board several times with no questions asked!

9 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:
  •  

"Tailored bedding arrangements through our bed concierge, available in Q1-Q4 suite"

Anyone know what this refers to?

The mind boggles!

In a word, NO.

Posted (edited)

I always ring up Southampton a couple of weeks before hand and request a blanket rather than a duvet. This time the message didn’t get through, so the butler had to change it the first evening, as if he didn’t have enough to do.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I always ring up Southampton a couple of weeks before had and request a blanket rather than a duvet. This time the message didn’t get through, so the butler had to change it the first evening, as if he didn’t have enough to do.

Snap, but that’s not just for 1-4, so the bed configuration is still a mystery, well to me at any rate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

This was in our cabin, suggesting things s/he might do.

IMG_0860.thumb.jpeg.1f0622eca547bfb422f6adc5d9339e1b.jpeg

Our upcoming voyage is our first in QG. (we’re the perfect Cunard passengers, moving up grades over time!) 
I understand that we get a choice of two bottles of booze - do these bottles get replaced when empty and can we change from wine to rum, for example, during the duration?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NE John said:

Our upcoming voyage is our first in QG. (we’re the perfect Cunard passengers, moving up grades over time!) 
I understand that we get a choice of two bottles of booze - do these bottles get replaced when empty and can we change from wine to rum, for example, during the duration?

It all depends on how good, or not, your butler is. On our first cruise in QG he didn't deliver the whisky that was ordered off on the list and when it was drunk it was not renewed.

Edited by majortom10
  • Thanks 1

Replaced when empty, or nearly empty and you can swap and change although even I haven’t bottomed the gin yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always had them replaced, but I imagine, if you emptied a bottle of gin a night, they might lose patience

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have always had them replaced, but I imagine, if you emptied a bottle of gin a night, they might lose patience

I can assure you that wasn't the case lol

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

If I emptied a bottle of gin a night, I think I’d lose consciousness !😲

Seriously though, like you, we have always had our bottles replaced, usually without asking but if not, a slight nudge to the butler will be all that’s needed.

• Like 1