Halifax Plan - Feedback

Posted (edited)

We are on Royal Caribbean and stopping at Halifax in 3 weeks.  Have never been there but didn't book anything as others said there is lots to do near the port.

From reading and looking at a map, I'm thinking of maybe the following.  Would appreciate feedback, confirmations, and any additional recommendations.  Note that we don't plan on having any meals off the ship unless really something is really special.

Option 1 -  With Maritime Museum

1.  It looks like the cruise terminal is at Pier 24.  Correct?

2.  Walk along water (Lower Water St), head to Maritime Museum.  Any recommendations along the way?

3.  I saw a recommendation for Peace by Chocolate so stop there next.

4.  Turn onto George St and walk to Citadel National Historic Site

5.  If time, go towards Halifax Public Gardens.

Option 2 - Without Maritime Museum

Any other suggestions/path/route if we don't want to spend time in the Museum?

Thanks.

Edited by LuCruise

Hi! I live in Halifax. Yes there is much to see along the waterfront. You could walk along the street sidewalks to get to the museum you mentioned, or you could walk along the boardwalk right along the water. I recommend the boardwalk! 

The Citadel National Historic Site - known as Citadel Hill is a bit of a steep walk as far as walking in a city is considered. Very worth it though. They do an event of firing a cannon at precisely 12 noon every day. It's pretty loud, you can hear the muffled 'boom' for miles!

Peace by chocolate is renowned around here! 

Public gardens is worth the walk, as well. 

All of the above could be too much for anyone with reduced mobility, or 'slow walkers'. If you don't have any issues on that front, you should be able to manage it as long it's a typical 7-8 hour port stop.

Another option is Point Pleasant Park if you get off the ship and walk the other way. Lots of well groomed walking trails through nature. It's a bustling place. Families having picnics, people jogging, walking their dogs, etc. It's worth googling for some more information!

Have a great time here!

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Thank you!  DH and I are middle aged and in ok shape so hills, etc are ok (unless my back is out).  Kids will be at home for this cruise but will keep in mind if we decide to walk to the Citadel. Neat they do a daily firing.  Good to know there is a boardwalk, which sounds much nicer than a street.  Will look for it and take that route.  Point Pleasant Park sound lovely too for another option.  Appreciate the suggestions and feedback!

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

Check out the Titanic gravesite area at the lovely Lawnview Cemetery …a short taxi ride from the port. ( Our driver was very informative and waited for the short time we visited the site.) It is a peaceful, nicely designed area to honor those who perished.  Follow up at the museum along the waterfront ( boardwalk). 
We had time to visit the cemetery, before taking the ship’s tour to scenic Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse, and then stroll the boardwalk . (Did not get to the museum.)

Correction… Fairview Lawn Cemetery is the correct name of the cemetery in Halifax where you will find the Titanic  markers.

8 hours ago, roupa said:

Correction… Fairview Lawn Cemetery is the correct name of the cemetery in Halifax where you will find the Titanic  markers.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Must be something to just be there, thinking of those people and honoring them.

• Like 1

The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is well worth a visit.  It was very special to visit with my mother who came to Canada 70 years ago, even though she arrived in Quebec City.  And so very easy to do.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dobelover said:

Our plan in August is stroll along the boardwalk to the Maritime Museum and lunch on the way back to the ship.

Anywhere specific for lunch?  I've heard lobster rolls are really good but not sure from where.

My travel companion has never been to Halifax. I want her to enjoy as much as possible and pick a place that calls to her. I know there is a brew house near the cruise terminal, I'm not big on craft beers but she might like that. Last time I was in Halifax, 2015, we had a wonderful time in a restaurant with a big fisherman either out front or in the entrance. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Anywhere specific for lunch?  I've heard lobster rolls are really good but not sure from where.

If you are looking for lobster rolls, there is a small kiosk on the waterfront called Dave's Lobster. You could also check out Waterfront Warehouse, which is closer to the Pier, or walk further down the waterfront and try Salty's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, dobelover said:

My travel companion has never been to Halifax. I want her to enjoy as much as possible and pick a place that calls to her. I know there is a brew house near the cruise terminal, I'm not big on craft beers but she might like that. Last time I was in Halifax, 2015, we had a wonderful time in a restaurant with a big fisherman either out front or in the entrance. 

Garrison Brewery is the closest brew house near the terminal. I would also recommend checking out the The BG (beer garden) if you are looking for an assortment of local brews. It is midway down the waterfront.

Edited by spethstation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:41 AM, LuCruise said:

We are on Royal Caribbean and stopping at Halifax in 3 weeks.  Have never been there but didn't book anything as others said there is lots to do near the port.

From reading and looking at a map, I'm thinking of maybe the following.  Would appreciate feedback, confirmations, and any additional recommendations.  Note that we don't plan on having any meals off the ship unless really something is really special.

Option 1 -  With Maritime Museum

1.  It looks like the cruise terminal is at Pier 24.  Correct?

2.  Walk along water (Lower Water St), head to Maritime Museum.  Any recommendations along the way?

3.  I saw a recommendation for Peace by Chocolate so stop there next.

4.  Turn onto George St and walk to Citadel National Historic Site

5.  If time, go towards Halifax Public Gardens.

Option 2 - Without Maritime Museum

Any other suggestions/path/route if we don't want to spend time in the Museum?

Thanks.

Not sure of your pier but they are all very close together.

I second that you should walk down the waterfront vs walking down Lower Water St. It's a much nicer way to get to the museum. I believe the museum is worthwhile if it is your first time here. 

I have to say Peace by Chocolate is only ok. Their chocolate isn't that great. I actually think Lindt tastes better 😂 But they have really good marketing and their store is really pretty. I would also recommend a stop into Cows Ice Cream (right across from Peace by Chocolate.) They have these chocolate covered chips that are to die for...

I think you'd have time for everything but the public gardens, it's a little further away than the Citadel - but not sure how much time you have. You can walk there from the Citadel - it's about 15 mins - but after hiking up that hill you may want to take a quick Uber there. 

• Like 2

OP here...one additional question.  Where do you catch the boardwalk (relative to the cruise port)?  Not sure if it's obvious when we leave the ship or if we have to walk through streets first.

16 minutes ago, roupa said:

Step off the ship, turn right, step on the boardwalk.   Maybe that’s simplified, but not by much! Enjoy!

From maps it looks like it's much further up.  Sounds like it's right when we get off. Thanks.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems pertinent. It is worth it to pay for the pink bus. It only costs 28cdn on top of peggys cove tour. I'm thinking an uber would be cheaper to get to citadel. I only have 1/2 a day and want to go to museum.

On 5/22/2024 at 3:57 PM, son3cruisers said:

We walked the boardwalk ( beautiful ) and then rented Segways . It was an awesome way to see all the sights and venture out beyond the port area with a tour guide. 

https://www.segwayns.com

How far is the Segway place from the port?

Peggy's Cove, is it all that, or not worth it?  I read many reviews ages ago when I first sailed to Halifax. Can you do a less expensive version on your own vs. the ship excursion?  I visited the Citadel, the gardens, and walked along the boardwalk on that trip almost 10yrs ago. All very nice, but I don't need to do those again.

Nearby wine shop with reasonable prices near the port/walkable?  I have done a google maps search, and saw there are a few near port but don't want to "fall prey" to overpriced offerings just b/c it is adjacent to the ship.  

1 minute ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Nearby wine shop with reasonable prices near the port/walkable?  I have done a google maps search, and saw there are a few near port but don't want to "fall prey" to overpriced offerings just b/c it is adjacent to the ship.  

The provincial Nova Scotia Liquour Commission store is located near the cruise terminal.  Probably 'overpriced' but no different than anywhere else in Nova Scotia.

• Thanks 1

The Peggy’s Cove excursion may be considered by some as a long and/or boring ride with a few stops along the way,   However, we had a wonderful guide who told great stories with heart, enthusiasm and true love of her home of Halifax.  ( including details of the explosion, Titanic rescue/recovery efforts, the citadel etc.) Peggy’s Cove/lighthouse is quite beautiful.  Snacks, ice cream, souvenirs are all available in this lovely little area. Colorful Adirondack chairs are perched on the rocks facing the sea and lighthouse for pleasant relaxing/viewing.

IMG_7066.jpeg

• Like 2