Hello from Marina!

Vallesan

Well finally aboard a ship after having to cancel the Riviera, Asia January/February and Seabourn Quest April we have finally, third time lucky, embarked and are happily aboard the Marina.

Unlike Hank I can’t promise a ‘live’ report but just a few of my initial thoughts. 

Boarding was an absolute delight. 1250? passengers boarding today. Chaos? Absolutely not. All the cabins were ready as we boarded so no great surge to the Terrace cafe, Waves etc. certainly no ‘boardamania’!

All very civilised maybe life would be better if they had later boarding for every cruise.

Champagne is Moutaudon.

They have Albarino in board so I’m a happy bunny!

We have managed to get a 7pm booking for tonight in Red Ginger, sharing.

Now to the main question …. refit. We’ve not sailed on the Marina before but have sailed several times on the Riviera. The last time we sailed on the Riviera it was the penultimate cruise before the refit. I have to be honest I can’t see any difference in this Concierge cabin to that on the Riviera prior to refit. If they have changed the ‘soft furnishings’ then it’s for more of the same! Sorry if that is a disappointment for some.

I must admit part of the reason we booked this trip was because the ship was to have been refurbished. But, the staff are still as welcoming, the food, such that I’ve tried so far, is fine. It rained this morning but now the sun is shining. What more can a girl ask for!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like you're on your way to a wonderful cruise, so sit back and enjoy yourself.  If you have time to write a short report about cruise, you know you'll have people interested follow your trip.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great start…no boardamania. Hmmmm.  

With regard to no updates at all in the Concierge stateroom….that is really not surprising to me.  I had mentioned in another thread on Marina refit that in their statement that Oceania put out on 12/8 (which is still on their website) that they made zero reference to any stateroom updates to anything below the penthouse. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

... With regard to no updates at all in the Concierge stateroom…no reference to any stateroom updates to anything below the penthouse. 

Though having been on Riviera pre- (12/2021) and post-update (10-11/2023) we actually preferred the PRE- better. Not a fan of Scandinavian minimalism. I'll take say dark or cherry wood to white paint or aluminum. And so much was form over function. Dumb chairs too small to sit in comfortably where the string quartet plays, for example. And my wife prefers a bathtub, too. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too bad about the lack of any noticeable changes to the concierge cabins.  Would be interested if you can find a PH cabin to see how it's been modified.  How about the public areas?  Any noticeable changes there?

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

If you have time to write a short report about cruise,

Operative words "short report."

• Haha 1

We were supposed to have been on this cruise. It is a great itinerary that is not being repeated Spring 2025. Like you Valleson, we also booked in part due to retrofit. At the time we booked, the announcement was only soft refurbishment below PH. For me, that is quite disappointing to hear. We are looking at a different Marina itinerary next May. 

All that said, have a fantastic voyage!  Enjoy your holiday, and fill us in on more details afterwards…..cheers! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

That was the indication from the poster.  Even a little is better than nothing.  

And a little can be better than a lot 🙂

13 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Sounds like a great start…no boardamania. Hmmmm.  

With regard to no updates at all in the Concierge stateroom….that is really not surprising to me.  I had mentioned in another thread on Marina refit that in their statement that Oceania put out on 12/8 (which is still on their website) that they made zero reference to any stateroom updates to anything below the penthouse. 

“Soft furnishings” only. Looks like the curtains (drapes) have been changed and the dressing table chair reupholstered. Together with the new cushion covers, in the same as the old fabric, it’s all a bit of a mismatch. Let’s just say if you didn’t know the ship had just been in dry dock you might not really notice any change! 

After sailing on Seabourn Encore and Silver Dawn last year, in veranda grade, I’m finding this cabin a bit ‘gloomy’! But that won’t ‘tarnish’ the trip!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LadyCruisers said:

Boarding Marina June 24.  Would be interested to know who the captain and cruise director are.  Thanks. 

Master … Marijo Obad

Cruise Director … Peter Roberts

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Too bad about the lack of any noticeable changes to the concierge cabins.  Would be interested if you can find a PH cabin to see how it's been modified.  How about the public areas?  Any noticeable changes there?

As far as I know the PH cabins have been upgraded as per brochure.

On Marina now.   This is 6th cruise on Marina. Not much visible new on Marina.  I saw new carpeting in a few places.  My cabin is not renovated. It’s still nice.  It still has the bathtub.  
Asked what our cabin attendant did during the time that the ship was in dry dock. Working on the ship. The 800 contractors that were doing renovations lived onboard. They were housed and fed on Marina. 
The big bonus following a reno is that all cabins were available for all guests as they checked in.  No crowding in the buffet with guests waiting to get into cabins. Wish that they did that on every cruise. What a pleasure to go directly to your cabin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, rjp50 said:

PH definitely remodelled. Walked past a PH2 with door wedged open, presumably to get rid of the ‘new carpet smell’! Looks lovely just like the brochure.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:
The big bonus following a reno is that all cabins were available for all guests as they checked in.  No crowding in the buffet with guests waiting to get into cabins. Wish that they did that on every cruise. What a pleasure to go directly to your cabin.  

I agree with you 100%, but am afraid we’d be in the vast minority. Other lines already do this, but boarding isn’t until 2-4 pm, a time when they have all the rooms turned around and ready. That means all those flocking to the ship at 10:00-12:00 looking for that lunch would be disappointed. I just have a peaceful lunch ashore and wait there until after the cabins are ready. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I agree with you 100%, but am afraid we’d be in the vast minority. Other lines already do this, but boarding isn’t until 2-4 pm, a time when they have all the rooms turned around and ready. That means all those flocking to the ship at 10:00-12:00 looking for that lunch would be disappointed. I just have a peaceful lunch ashore and wait there until after the cabins are ready. 

IME Celebrity is an exception and does it well. We recently boarded the Ascent about 11:45 and were instructed to go to our cabin immediately to pick up our room card where it was waiting for us outside the door. We dropped off our carry on luggage and went to lunch. Easy peasy. Not sure how they can do it when other cruise lines cannot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rheasue38 said:

Who is the GM and Restaurant Manager?

Rhea

GM … Evan Willemse

RM … Celestino Balane

Edited by Vallesan

2 hours ago, LadyCruisers said:

Did they install the Aquamar Kitchen and new pizza oven for Waves for dinner at night?

Yes.  Waves has pizza bar only at night. The ice cream bar has been relocated to the center of the pool deck. That’s where there used to be a voyage map. Waves has expanded its table area. Service is now taking orders at the tables. They still have delivery service to other locations on deck 12.  Unfortunately service is very slow.  You have to wait for a table, wait to get somebody to come to table and take your order, wait for order to be cooked, and wait for order to get to your table.  Got to waves about 2:30.  Didn’t get food for almost a hour. They need more help.

Waves was continuously full. Aquamar wasn’t crowded.  

56 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Yes.  Waves has pizza bar only at night. The ice cream bar has been relocated to the center of the pool deck. That’s where there used to be a voyage map. Waves has expanded its table area. Service is now taking orders at the tables. They still have delivery service to other locations on deck 12.  Unfortunately service is very slow.  You have to wait for a table, wait to get somebody to come to table and take your order, wait for order to be cooked, and wait for order to get to your table.  Got to waves about 2:30.  Didn’t get food for almost a hour. They need more help.

Waves was continuously full. Aquamar wasn’t crowded.  

Is Aquamar all buffet, or how does it work?  Someone posted a picture on Facebook, and apparently had lunch there yesterday. But the person gave no details. I'm curious what kind of food is offered for lunch and breakfast. As for crowding in Waves, I imagine that will slack off.  Embarkation day is a little crazy.  Does Waves still have a few lunch time side dishes you can start on while waiting for your sandwich or whatever?