The Time's They are a Changing

It’s nice to have a variety of places to eat.  
there are many older guests.  Those people using walkers with a seat collect food at the buffet easily. The have a real advantage at the buffet. The rest of us have to carry heavy plates.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

It’s nice to have a variety of places to eat.  
there are many older guests.  Those people using walkers with a seat collect food at the buffet easily. The have a real advantage at the buffet. The rest of us have to carry heavy plates.  

I would gladly carry my plate in exchange for being able to walk again.  (I'm not old, but I am paralyzed.)  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I would gladly carry my plate in exchange for being able to walk again.  (I'm not old, but I am paralyzed.)  

You will find that many of us wait until 7:15 or later to go the Terrace or the GDR to give those with mobility issues plenty of time to accommodate their needs .

• Like 3

On 5/21/2024 at 9:01 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Look forward to hearing about your cruise.   My anticipation of our first Oceania cruise is really growing.

Hi Jim, 

We were avid Celebrity cruisers, then mixed in some HAL, interspersed with Azamara.  We did one O cruise in 2015.  It was good, but a bit repetitive for us…17 days.  We still love Azamara, but there have been some hiccups since separating from RCCL.  We have a Christmas cruise on the books with them.

We tried O again in Nov., Marina TA Lisbon to MIA in a PH.  We were blown away!!  It was fabulous.  We booked another while onboard.  
Having read many, many of your LIVE Reports on X, I think you and Iain are going to love it.  I hope you do a LIVE report on your first O cruise! 

• Like 1

On our last cruise we were in an accessible room.  Didn't need it but we got it.  I do use a rollator or a walker on wheels to get through the airport.  I've never used it on a ship once we're in our cabin.  If we're on one of the smaller ships there just isn't room for it so I have the room steward store it for me but this time we did have the room.  I'm also a wall walker which means when I get up in the night I touch the wall to get to the bathroom.  The room was too big for that.  I wanted my rollator with me for security.  I'm usually just fine with my cane.

Anyway, I did take it to the TC one night when the ship was really moving.  I loved it.  I could put my plate on the seat and didn't need anyone from the ship to help me.  When someone is holding my plate because I'm using a cane I always feel I have to hurry as to not take up too much of their time.  After that I used it every time we went to TC.

People using mobility devices are not trying to ruin your vacation.  We are just doing the best we can to feel safe.  At 69 I don't feel I'm too old to cruise, I just have some mobility issues.  Most people are more than kind to me but there are always some of those bad apples.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

The rest of us have to carry heavy plates.  

I thought there was plenty of staff who will do that. No?

Because this post was named for Bob Dylan and his song "The Times They are-a Changing" I just want to give a little tribute to him on his 83th birthday.  I actually worked with someone who babysat for him in Minnesota years ago.  One of America's great folk singers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, iowananny said:

On our last cruise we were in an accessible room.  Didn't need it but we got it.  I do use a rollator or a walker on wheels to get through the airport.  I've never used it on a ship once we're in our cabin.  If we're on one of the smaller ships there just isn't room for it so I have the room steward store it for me but this time we did have the room.  I'm also a wall walker which means when I get up in the night I touch the wall to get to the bathroom.  The room was too big for that.  I wanted my rollator with me for security.  I'm usually just fine with my cane.

Anyway, I did take it to the TC one night when the ship was really moving.  I loved it.  I could put my plate on the seat and didn't need anyone from the ship to help me.  When someone is holding my plate because I'm using a cane I always feel I have to hurry as to not take up too much of their time.  After that I used it every time we went to TC.

People using mobility devices are not trying to ruin your vacation.  We are just doing the best we can to feel safe.  At 69 I don't feel I'm too old to cruise, I just have some mobility issues.  Most people are more than kind to me but there are always some of those bad apples.

If people think you're taking too long, well that's too bad-let them wait and take your time.  You have just as much of a right as they do.  Those are people I don't want to know--in my experience they are in the minority and aren't worth thinking about.  Ignore them............

• Like 3

After thinking about Bob Dylan, maybe it's time to get Arlo Gutherie's Alice's Restaurant on board.  After all you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.  Everyone would be happy.  But that would come with Officer Obie.  If you're a chair hog you might find yourself in the ship's brig with Officer Obie with 27 8 by 10 in glossies of your chair hogging ways and they would come complete with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each.

If you have no idea of what I'm talking about you're not a real baby boomer

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, iowananny said:

After thinking about Bob Dylan, maybe it's time to get Arlo Gutherie's Alice's Restaurant on board.  After all you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.  Everyone would be happy.  But that would come with Officer Obie.  If you're a chair hog you might find yourself in the ship's brig with Officer Obie with 27 8 by 10 in glossies of your chair hogging ways and they would come complete with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each.

If you have no idea of what I'm talking about you're not a real baby boomer

Will Alice's Restaurant be on both sides of the ship?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, iowananny said:

After all you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
Excepting Alice 😉

I love that song

You might get everything you want at Alice’s. On Oceania, that might not work. Got back late from an excursion.  Called room service and asked for a tuna sandwich. Response was that it wasn’t on the room service menu. They would have to call back. Return call said that if I wanted a tuna sandwich, I had contact guest services 48 hours in advance.  So, accepting that tuna wasn’t going to happen, I asked for a turkey sandwich.  I figured a turkey club was on the menu. Could they just do 2 slices of bread with turkey. Leave off the tomato, lettuce, bacon, etc.?  No, they couldn’t do that. It’s all or nothing. It reminded me of Five Easy Pieces holding the chicken salad.   Got a cheese plate. When the server delivered the cheese plate, she asked me if she should go to guest services to request a tuna sandwich to be delivered 2 days later. No way!  It wouldn’t surprise me if the tuna sandwich shows up eventually.  

• Haha 3

You might get everything you want at Alice’s. On Oceania, that might not work.

Maybe next time you should start a masacree.  That would get their attention,.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

You might get everything you want at Alice’s. On Oceania, that might not work. Got back late from an excursion.  Called room service and asked for a tuna sandwich. Response was that it wasn’t on the room service menu. They would have to call back. Return call said that if I wanted a tuna sandwich, I had contact guest services 48 hours in advance.  So, accepting that tuna wasn’t going to happen, I asked for a turkey sandwich.  I figured a turkey club was on the menu. Could they just do 2 slices of bread with turkey. Leave off the tomato, lettuce, bacon, etc.?  No, they couldn’t do that. It’s all or nothing. It reminded me of Five Easy Pieces holding the chicken salad.   Got a cheese plate. When the server delivered the cheese plate, she asked me if she should go to guest services to request a tuna sandwich to be delivered 2 days later. No way!  It wouldn’t surprise me if the tuna sandwich shows up eventually.  

We had a similar experience with a ‘turkey’ sandwich from room service last night. Four times stressed ‘just turkey’ nothing else, no cheese etc etc. What turned up turkey sandwich with cheese, ham and the full works! Left it outside the door and rang room service to pick it up. Why? Simple request … just turkey,.. !

2 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

We had a similar experience with a ‘turkey’ sandwich from room service last night. Four times stressed ‘just turkey’ nothing else, no cheese etc etc. What turned up turkey sandwich with cheese, ham and the full works! Left it outside the door and rang room service to pick it up. Why? Simple request … just turkey,.. !

Why not just take the bread and the turkey and eat it… enjoy 

This is what I was talking about the other day in a post. They will bend over backwards to accommodate Vegan, Celiacs, Vegetarians, etc, but ask for a simple sandwich with meat, cheese and bread and you'd think you asked for the combination to the Purser's safe. What's up with that?

Not that I think they shouldn't accommodate people with special dietary concerns, but cmon. It's just silly. My money is as good as theirs, I can't stand lettuce, or tomatoes. I could take them off, and have, but I don't want them touching my other food. 

• Like 3

Frequently in Terrace Cafe, when I am walking back to my table with a plate of food, a worker will quickly come over to carry it for me. Hapensxat breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

• Thanks 1