Do these look cooked to you?

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I know that- that's why I'm not 100% convinced the medical staff were saying it's flu as they wouldn't want to admit it being related to undercooked food served on board. They didn't do any tests or anything.

I think they meant the stomach “flu.” A stool sample is needed to see if it’s food poisoning, and there aren’t tests for stomach viruses. If food poisoning there would’ve been many passengers sick.

• Like 1

The sausages definitely look undercooked to me! And shame on the chef and staff for not acknowledging it.  I hope others didn’t get sick.

I always say nothing is a coincidence, and this is an example of that. I hope your husband has fully recovered.

I would send the photos and your detailed comments to Michael Bayley. The chef needs to be spoken to, if for nothing else, for the rude way he treated you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Over 50 of us got the runs one night on my roll call. A unheard of large amount I never even saw during covid. Friday night, many went to doctors when they arrived home, I was on b2b and tried to report it at guest services. Talk about rude. I was yelled at, yes he raised his voice and yelled impossible it could not be food related he said Their food is inspected, I got it in cozumel. ..though I said I didnt get off in cozumel and ate nothing in any ports. 

Some called royal and tried to report it and none said royal,cared, if it's not covid dont bother. My doctor treated me for e coli as most doctors diagnosed it as that. One lady went into hospital. Turns out stuff for the runs isnt sold in the onboard stores. Miserable 2nd week. Now I pack for the runs. People can and do get sick from the food. I'm witness.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Over 50 of us got the runs one night on my roll call. A unheard of large amount I never even saw during covid. Friday night, many went to doctors, I was kn b2b and tried to report it at guest services. Talk about rude. I was yelled st, yes he raised his voice and yelled impossible it could be food related. Their food is inspected, I got it in cozumel. ..though I said I didnt gr off in cozumel and ate nothing in any ports. 

Some called royal and tried to report it and none said royal,cared, if it's not covid dont bother. My doctor treated me for e coli as most doctors diagnosed it as that. One lady went into hospital. Turns out stuff for the runs isnt sold in the onboard stores. Miserable 2nd week. Now I pack for the runs. People can and do get sick from the food. I'm witness.

What do you pack for the runs? I’d like to add it to my cruising pharmacy bag 😁

A few cruises ago. My husband was eating his salad in the MDR. All of a sudden I saw him flip something onto the carpet. I asked him what he was doing throwing food on the floor. He said it wasn't food, it was moving. He said it was white and about 1/2" long. I told him he shouldn't have done that so they could see what was in their salad. He said he didn't want to make a big deal.      I told our headwaiter who we were friendly with(He was our headwaiter on our last cruise). After we left the dining room I saw  him look under the table. We couldn't find it right after he flipped it, so I knew he wasn't going to see it just pulling the chair out. Headwaiter said he would let the chef know. I really don't think they did anything.

After this I could not even look at lettuce for 6 months without feeling sick.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Just something over the counter, but I wound up so sick I had to take antibiotics for the e.coli to get rid of it. I got really really sick. The over the counter stopped the runs but I wound up past just that, needed antibiotics. As did several others. I eat a lot of spinach but e.coli could be on a lot of other things, ..honestly over 50 of us posted to our roll call they all got the runs the same friday night. And I didnt get off the ship, wasnt cozumel. I dont care what they claimed.

By the time another week went by and I was so sick I was close to having to be hospitalized and I think running a fever. I needed antibiotics sooner than a week later.

• Like 1

Did a quick google search and turned up this from 2 different sources:

Is It Okay For My Sausage To Be a Little Pink?

A common question among cooks is whether it's safe to eat a sausage that's still a bit pink inside. The answer largely depends on the type of sausage and its preparation. For commercially made sausages, a slight pink hue can be normal, even when the sausage is fully cooked. This can be due to the preservatives used, such as sodium nitrite, which can cause the meat to retain a pink color. The key indicator of doneness should always be the internal temperature, not the color. As long as the sausage has reached the appropriate safe temperature, it should be safe to eat.

Can Sausage Be Pink?

Believe it or not, sausage can be pink on the inside. Most people associate pink sausage with undercooked meat.

Pork can contain parasites like tapeworms or roundworms. These parasites can cause trichinosis.

Symptoms of trichinosis include fever, abdominal pain, and headaches.

Cooking the pork sausages to the recommended temperature will neutralize these illness-causing parasites.

Nevertheless, pork sausages with a slight pink tinge can be safe to eat if the juices that run from the sausages are clear and free of blood when the sausage is sliced.

As I mentioned above, seasonings, salt, colorants, and nitrates can be added to the sausage to preserve the meat and its color.

This is why hotdogs have a pinkish-reddish color when they are fully cooked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, doghog said:

Was the chef Gordon Ramsay. 😂

No but he thought he was 😆I think he was super upset that we were insulting his 'craft'. I'm not saying the chefs on board aren't skilled, but in this case they bunged a tray of pre made sausages in the oven.

41 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Did a quick google search and turned up this from 2 different sources:

Is It Okay For My Sausage To Be a Little Pink?

A common question among cooks is whether it's safe to eat a sausage that's still a bit pink inside. The answer largely depends on the type of sausage and its preparation. For commercially made sausages, a slight pink hue can be normal, even when the sausage is fully cooked. This can be due to the preservatives used, such as sodium nitrite, which can cause the meat to retain a pink color. The key indicator of doneness should always be the internal temperature, not the color. As long as the sausage has reached the appropriate safe temperature, it should be safe to eat.

Can Sausage Be Pink?

Believe it or not, sausage can be pink on the inside. Most people associate pink sausage with undercooked meat.

Pork can contain parasites like tapeworms or roundworms. These parasites can cause trichinosis.

Symptoms of trichinosis include fever, abdominal pain, and headaches.

Cooking the pork sausages to the recommended temperature will neutralize these illness-causing parasites.

Nevertheless, pork sausages with a slight pink tinge can be safe to eat if the juices that run from the sausages are clear and free of blood when the sausage is sliced.

As I mentioned above, seasonings, salt, colorants, and nitrates can be added to the sausage to preserve the meat and its color.

This is why hotdogs have a pinkish-reddish color when they are fully cooked.

Useful to know. Although I wouldn't call it a slight pink tinge, some of them were red inside

1 minute ago, SquishTheWhale said:

No but he thought he was 😆I think he was super upset that we were insulting his 'craft'. I'm not saying the chefs on board aren't skilled, but in this case they bunged a tray of pre made sausages in the oven.

Of course he was. Good thing you didn't tell him his staff needs to cook the sausages longer in the oven as they aren't cooked in the oven. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Just something over the counter, but I wound up so sick I had to take antibiotics for the e.coli to get rid of it. I got really really sick. The over the counter stopped the runs but I wound up past just that, needed antibiotics. As did several others. I eat a lot of spinach but e.coli could be on a lot of other things, ..honestly over 50 of us posted to our roll call they all got the runs the same friday night. And I didnt get off the ship, wasnt cozumel. I dont care what they claimed.

By the time another week went by and I was so sick I was close to having to be hospitalized and I think running a fever. I needed antibiotics sooner than a week later.

Oh boy that’s awful! I ended up once getting something when I had a salad in a Key West many years  ago and had runs for almost a month, but didn’t feel sick otherwise.  Hubby asked why I didn’t go to the dr, but I said, maybe it will help me lose some weight…😁 I just looked at my “pharmacy bag” and I do carry Imodium, I had forgotten that.

did you say what ship you were on?

17 minutes ago, doghog said:

Of course he was. Good thing you didn't tell him his staff needs to cook the sausages longer in the oven as they aren't cooked in the oven. 😂

Pretty sure they are baked in an oven (just like bacon).  Restaurants do this routinely.  

1 minute ago, BND said:

Pretty sure they are baked in an oven (just like bacon).  Restaurants do this routinely.  

Pretty sure the sausages are cooked on a flat top along with the bacon and eggs.

1 minute ago, doghog said:

Pretty sure the sausages are cooked on a flat top along with the bacon and eggs.

Nope.  Sausage and bacon are baked ahead of time and kept warm.  It's much easier and much more efficient to bake them.  Ask next time you're onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

Nope.  Sausage and bacon are baked ahead of time and kept warm.  It's much easier and much more efficient to bake them.  Ask next time you're onboard.

I didn't say they weren't cooked ahead of time. That all can be accomplished on the grill/flat top. 

5 hours ago, BND said:

In the US pretty much contained to people who eat wild boar or bear. Virtually nonexistent in US farm raised pork.  

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. Many Family and Friends are Farmers and Hunters. 

I bake my bacon in the oven.  Turns out so much nicer and it is a lot easier.  I also pack a wide variety of medications to cover most common illnesses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t travel anywhere without Imodium.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, doghog said:

I didn't say they weren't cooked ahead of time. That all can be accomplished on the grill/flat top. 

I’ve always thought they were like the ones in the store that come frozen and precooked. Then again I stopped eating meat 10 years ago and only see the boxes my husband buys. 

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t travel anywhere without Imodium.

When I read this I looked in what I call my cruise “pharmacy bag” and sure enough I also have Imodium.  Plus pills for if you can’t go…. I pretty much have everything.
My DH says, packing for a cruise is easy…for him it is.  Until he got sick last year on a TA and said do we have cold meds….i said, well I do, did you bring any 😁. He got the hint. But of course he used them all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I bake my bacon in the oven.  Turns out so much nicer and it is a lot easier.  I also pack a wide variety of medications to cover most common illnesses.

I cook bacon and sausage in the oven, I have a bigger family and it’s easier, cooks evenly and clean up is a breeze. It’s a cruise ship kitchen, not a local diner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Oh boy that’s awful! I ended up once getting something when I had a salad in a Key West many years  ago and had runs for almost a month, but didn’t feel sick otherwise.  Hubby asked why I didn’t go to the dr, but I said, maybe it will help me lose some weight…😁 I just looked at my “pharmacy bag” and I do carry Imodium, I had forgotten that.

did you say what ship you were on?

That worm came with the lettuce, it happens even if washed. Have you ever washed lettuce from the garden?

I rarely ever eat meat, only occasionally chicken, so I wouldn’t even go near most of the breakfast foods, especially sausage and bacon which don’t agree with me.
But reading some of these comments about salads makes me say EEK, well then, what’s left for me to eat 😳 breakfast for me is usually smoked salmon, a piece of cheese and some fresh fruit. I eat this every day when I’m on a ship.

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

That worm came with the lettuce, it happens even if washed. Have you ever washed lettuce from the garden?

yes I had an organic garden for over 20 years, so I’ve seen many types of bugs. What happened to me in Key West wasn’t from a bug. I should have gone to a doctor, it lasted weeks.